Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 14,536 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently own (as an investor) 2 condo's in 429 Fairmount Avenue (Jersey City) and am approaching the end of a "rent guarantee" period. I would love some thoughts on whether it is better to now sell them or try to find some good tenants and rent them. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated (with my thanks) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Considering the current state of the market, renting them out, to me, seems like a far better choice. Many who can't buy (or shouldn't have bought) are still out there looking for a place to stay, and many who can buy are waiting for the "right time" to purchase, that never ending quest for the $100,000 mansion on 30 acres.

So renting, to me, would be the right option. Hell I'd be doing it if I could buy another home right now

Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,536 times
Thank you for the prompt reply and thoughts ! When I bought into these as investments 3-years ago the "strategy" was that over time, Jersey City would morph into the next Hoboken. It was positioned that the new generation yuppies would find this area attractive with an easy communte into NYC. Make sense to you ? It sounded right but the recent economy changes have certainly put a damper on many things !! Thanks again ...

Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,086 times
Default NJ condos for over 54 walk to stores, good food, culture

We'll be downsizing in the next few years- but still maintaining a private practice in Manalapan NJ. Any areas within a 50 mile radius - 2 bedrooms- not more than $350,00- with culture, good food. We are not the golfing mah jong type people.

Thnaks

Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
my dad owned a building on Fairmont ave when I was a kid, it was called Durex. He would tell me stories about people breaking in all the time. I wonder whats there now. Maybe it did turn yuppie, I have not heard about that Durex building in years.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dave View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply and thoughts ! When I bought into these as investments 3-years ago the "strategy" was that over time, Jersey City would morph into the next Hoboken. It was positioned that the new generation yuppies would find this area attractive with an easy communte into NYC. Make sense to you ? It sounded right but the recent economy changes have certainly put a damper on many things !! Thanks again ...
Makes sense to me, and it has begun... areas close to Manhattan may not get the massive increase of a profitable era, but I don't think the impact of the current economy is going to drastically effect these areas, just reduce growth for a while.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemesh View Post
We'll be downsizing in the next few years- but still maintaining a private practice in Manalapan NJ. Any areas within a 50 mile radius - 2 bedrooms- not more than $350,00- with culture, good food. We are not the golfing mah jong type people.

Thnaks
You should start a new thread for this.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Well Fairmount Ave et environs is a long way from becoming the Next Hoboken. A lot of things have to happen before that area becomes the next hot spot. Yuppie urban pioneers are starting to sneak up the hill from downtown, but not en masse yet. If that's your strategy you'll have to wait, and certainly longer than another 3 years.

I'd say rent it unless you have to unload it now.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,557 times
Yeah I agree with lammius - where there is a lot of building going on in JC, the area around Fairmount is a ways off from gentrification (the Beacon complex aside).

I'd say rent for now. With the proximity to the college the rental market there might be decent.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
I agree with the last 2 JC guys. That area (between McGinley Square and Bergen-Lafayette) is not going to see gentrification anytime soon. It's not too bad over there though. I'd probably sit on it for a long term investment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey