Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 113,482 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
We are looking to buy a Home in central NJ, we looked 2 a couple of homes in Franklin Twp, Somerset, 08873.
We are wondering how the school system is in Franklin Twp.
Our Realtor told us the schools system, are O.K. and need improvement.
We are planning to have kids soon.

We also visited this website (http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc05/menu/15-1590.html (broken link)) and it states some school sin Franklin Twp are good and some NOT.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Franklin Township's school district is marginal at best- especially when compared to some of the surrounding areas like Bridgewater. They recently built some new schools and added on to others, but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Bob

Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 AM

is the school system bad because it new..???

Or the school are just bad in general...

Also how does Franklin Township's compare to piscataway and Edsion schools...

We have about 7 years before our Children will be ready before middle school.

Thanks for ur reply

Last edited by kamla; 01-17-2007 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Addtion

Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
The school system itself isn't new- they just built some new schools to replace/upgrade some old facilities.

I don't have cold, hard facts on the schools, as I've never had kids in them. In general though, they don't seem to rate too highly compared to surrounding area. You'll often here "Franklin Township is OK, but the schools suck"- but you've got to consider the source of the info and dig more for the "why". Unfortunately, I can't give that to you.

Bob

Old 01-17-2007, 02:43 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Since I live near Franklin Twp I can tell you a little about Franklin. It has some of the most beautiful rural homesites bordering the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park. Areas known as Griggstown, Weston are in Franklin Twp. Franklin also has a very populated area bordering New Brunswick which has the usual urban problems. Franklin also has a very large minority population so depending on what you are looking for in Franklin it may or may not suit your needs.

E

Old 01-26-2007, 06:38 AM

Thax for all your comments Guys...

We are not going to Bid on The FT house..
Even though it is Sooo Nice....

I am thinking long term..
We are plannig to have kids.. so the school system has to be good..

O>K>

Now how about SO PLAIN, NJ School system...

Thax again

Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 AM

. I think most will agree the more wealth in a town the better the school system. Almost every town in NJ has a not so good, good, better, and wealthy section, where the people with money live. Edison is like this, Piscataway is like this, Franklin Twp. is like this. South Plainfield does not have a section where the wealthy live. If they do they do a good job hiding it.
I would not live in any town that has the name Plainfield in it.

I am sure some will disagree.

E

Old 01-26-2007, 07:07 AM

Try looking in these towns for affordable homes and are in good locations with good schools.
Middlesex Boro in Middlesex Co.
Green Brook in Somerset Co.

E

Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 PM

21 posts, read 136,748 times
South Plainfield has really bad school systems and really bad traffic, if you dont plan on having kids you might want to live there but i would not suggest any of the Plainfields

Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM

29 posts, read 139,109 times
Its too bad that you won't be living in FT. I've lived here for 10 years after living in West Windsor. The elementary schools are great. The high school as compared to other schools in Somerset County doens't look great on paper but compared to other schools on the same socioeconomic level, does pretty well. It is a very diverse community not only people wise but housing as well. There are apts, townhouses at least 4 adult communities, older homes and lots of newer homes including million dollar homes and many of those families send their kids to FT schools including the high school The diversity of the school-age kids was a plus for us. WE liked living in WWindsor but had to move to be closer to my husbands job. We chose FT because of its diversity and the school. Now, my kids will be graduating this year and really had a great experience both are active in team sports, activies and will go to Georgetown and Penn this fall. There have been well-published accounts of incidents at the high school, which is really a shame, a few bad kids ruin it for the rest of them. not one of my kids nor their friends was ever truly affected by it, only indirectly with many people calling the high school, bad....what I love is that my kids have friends and date kids of every race and have had the unique opportunity to get to know people from many places and economic backgrounds. While there was some white flight from the high school, many have come back due to the beautiful new high school and the educational and extra-curricular opportunities provided, they apparently didn't get in their catholic schools. Kids at FHS have been accepted to Ivy League colleges. But I might suggest that the elem schools are excellent and many are/were blue ribbon. What many families do here is send their kids to private/catholic school when they get to Jr-hi, Hi school just so they can stay in the area. FT is really a great place to live. I can understand your worries about the school system but if you love the house and the area you live in, think about it...talk to the neighbors around that house (that's what we did when we moved here) and make a well-informed decision. Besides Bridgewater which can be pricey, there's few places left in ths part of NJ where there's still farmland and green spaces right next to your home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey