Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,361 times

Advertisements

Oh how I wish I had a Macy's by me. Maybe that would cure my homesick of NJ when I get it. I'm in SC and I can't understand why they don't have Macy's or Nordstroms considering everyone is from up North!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
i find some responses interesting,

"when I miss NJ, I then start thinking about:
  • the crime
  • the filth/dirt
  • the crowds
  • high insurance

"and then I don't get homesick"

gotta tell you people, maybe you didn't get out enough - that is NOT MY NJ. Nice of you to stereotype all NJ's 7400 sq miles though!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,358,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

• the crime
  • the filth/dirt
  • the crowds
  • high insurance

gotta tell you people, maybe you didn't get out enough - that is NOT MY NJ. Nice of you to stereotype all NJ's 7400 sq miles though!

I didn't like the
Trees
SUVS
shopping carts, and lack of windows on the homes (okay, I had to throw that in. way for me to beat a dead horse )

LOL. Problems exist everywhere, and some exist in some places more for some than others.

But I did ask that people say what they did when they got homesick - The ones that have already (or are planning to) returned to NJ (due to, well, missing it, mostly). Not tell me that they thought about "how horrible" the state is....

Thanks for calling that out.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I didn't like the
Trees
SUVS
shopping carts, and lack of windows on the homes (okay, I had to throw that in. way for me to beat a dead horse )

LOL. Problems exist everywhere, and some exist in some places more for some than others.

But I did ask that people say what they did when they got homesick - The ones that have already (or are planning to) returned to NJ (due to, well, missing it, mostly). Not tell me that they thought about "how horrible" the state is....

Thanks for calling that out.
you forgot the SUN!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread

1,925 posts, read 6,358,676 times
Quote:
you forgot the SUN!!!
and the grass!

oh, it was far too green.

and less developed areas? How claustrophobic with all the nature!

and that food. It's amazing that you guys haven't died of starvation, yet!

I think I'll stop now.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,595,534 times
Quote:

• the crime
  • the filth/dirt
  • the crowds
  • high insurance

Translation:
the crime..I lived in Newark
the filth/dirt.. I worked in Elizabeth
the crowds.. my only vacations were spent in Seaside
high insurance... I'm a lousy driver!

Translation Out by us..
the crime... stayed out past curfew
the filth/dirt... the stuff on my lawn mower
the crowds... Kohl's one day sale
high insurance... that's what you get when you opt. drive a merc and not a hyundia

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 36,355 times
For some reason, I really miss NJ on beautiful crisp fall days. I miss driving through Peapack and Far Hills and looking at the trees that line the streets. I miss getting excited for the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center.

I would never move back, though. I could never afford the nice childhood I had in Chatham/Harding. I realize how lucky I am to have those wonderful memories, plus a fantastic education at one of the best schools in the state. I never thanked my parents enough; that's probably not possible.

I moved to the southeast for college many years ago, where my family is originally from. I found a better version of myself away from NJ and it feels much more like home than NJ ever did.

I used to go back to NJ every year or two for a few days, but it never felt like home to me again. When my mother passed away this past fall, it was incredibly beautiful because it was my favorite time of year, but I felt like such an outsider. I instantly noticed the bad drivers, the NJ accent, the general snobbishness, and the hurried atmosphere. I never noticed those things as a kid.

Last edited by wolfpack99; 07-09-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,369,346 times
NJ has changed....for the worse...unfortunately..It was where I grew up, but it definately is not the same it was from the 1980's.. Many more people moved in (and not the most desireable types either), much more traffic, pollution, corruption, insane property taxes, costs of living..The cons outweigh the pros by far.

The only thing I think of now is how bad my life would be or become if I stayed in NJ.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM

217 posts, read 1,146,525 times
I know florida sucks right now with the economy. And i know with florida's economy... how the hell are you going to get up here in jersey!? NJ is 3x's more expensive then there. I wish you good luck, try renting in Jersey. It's not that hard if you rent here.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
NJ has changed....for the worse...unfortunately..It was where I grew up, but it definately is not the same it was from the 1980's.. Many more people moved in (and not the most desireable types either), much more traffic, pollution, corruption, insane property taxes, costs of living..The cons outweigh the pros by far.

The only thing I think of now is how bad my life would be or become if I stayed in NJ.
i'll bet natives from your new hometown are complaining about the same issues, of which you are a direct contributor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey