Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I would add that it is not 1964 and the racial divide is actually reversing and deepening in some areas. This is not true where just ethnicity is concerned but this reality is being ignored here. Liberals did not heal the racial divide in this country because they were opportunists just like everyone else. For someone to state they are doing that in 2008 as a "liberal" just makes me laugh.

Our formative years are very important but I think it would be wise for people to focus on raising good humble unspoiled children. That would be most important. The diversity factor can maybe be considered but it is not the make or break in juvenile development. The term diverse can be equated with exposure to different life circumstances. Kids can be involved with things that bring them into contact with realities other than their own. That might happen by volunteering at a nursing home or a hospital. They might go to church and it could happen there. In 2008 there are just so many ways to come in contact with people unlike you. That is much more beneficial than embracing a "diversity concept" and thinking that you are now on a more enlightened level.
I hear what you are saying. I just believe that what you are embracing and advocating here is in itself acknowledgement of a need for diversity, while decrying indeed any government or other social mandates for such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 PM

148 posts, read 639,393 times
Quote:
I would add that it is not 1964 and the racial divide is actually reversing and deepening in some areas. This is not true where just ethnicity is concerned but this reality is being ignored here. Liberals did not heal the racial divide in this country because they were opportunists just like everyone else. For someone to state they are doing that in 2008 as a "liberal" just makes me laugh.

Our formative years are very important but I think it would be wise for people to focus on raising good humble unspoiled children. That would be most important. The diversity factor can maybe be considered but it is not the make or break in juvenile development. The term diverse can be equated with exposure to different life circumstances. Kids can be involved with things that bring them into contact with realities other than their own. That might happen by volunteering at a nursing home or a hospital. They might go to church and it could happen there. In 2008 there are just so many ways to come in contact with people unlike you. That is much more beneficial than embracing a "diversity concept" and thinking that you are now on a more enlightened level w/o actually having any true experience.
i acutally somewhat agree with you (but ill be careful not to fully cross over to the darkside)..in addition to living in a diverse neighborhood exposure to different live circumstances is important but that exposure is easier to comeby for most b/c alot of us are not rich and have family friends so on in different positions (some poor some more well off or at least i do). I grew up volunteering, which i still do today and which my son will do as well

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You did not read my post carefully. I said nobody in this generation is creating anything of this sort; the problem was created long before any of us were born.
I would say, rather, you did not read mine carefully.

By bringing up the issue of race, you make it a racial issue. End of story.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
-It is not just about volunteering or any one specific thing. This is complex and economics would be the biggest divider of people in America. The single biggest factor today. I can live next to different kinds of people but not have an understanding about that. For a majority person- just living in a mixed area is not enough. I am not going to the dark side. This is just a matter of being realistic.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
-It is not just about volunteering or any one specific thing. This is complex and economics would be the biggest divider of people in America. The single biggest factor today. I can live next to different kinds of people but not have an understanding about that. For a majority person- just living in a mixed area is not enough. I am not going to the dark side. This is just a matter of being realistic.
As for the darkside comment- it was a joke b/c you seem to always have something always have some negative comment for whatever the subject is on this forum (it was a reference to another post in which you said it was a low blow)

As for it not being about one thing, no one said it was BUT it has to start somewhere.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
It is not a "start". You have to look at the spectrum of history. There are no stops and starts. You can not erase history and say "do over". You have to look at everything in its context. There can be no progress otherwise.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It is not a "start". You have to look at the spectrum of history. There are no stops and starts. You can not erase history and say "do over". You have to look at everything in its context. There can be no progress otherwise.
i dont understand what you are saying....what is not a start? what good is it to analyze things and if you are not willing to began to think of ways to initiate change? What does erasing history have to do with anything? I was trying to not get too we are the worldish but i think EVERYTHING starts with you, what you belive in, how you uphold those beliefs, what do you do in your everyday life to demonstrate those things..if i believe that relationships formed btwn people of all races, religions, ethnitices, sexual preferences is beneficial not just for personal reasons but in a larger sense..than i have to ask myself what am i doing in my life to encourage such things....if i believe that ignorance of others and there life circumstances are part of the problem what am i doing to to encourage change..that is how i live my life...but that certainly was not where i was trying to go with this thread b/c i understand that i hold different ideals than others

Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I would say, rather, you did not read mine carefully.

By bringing up the issue of race, you make it a racial issue. End of story.
So if I get hit in the head by someone, and report that I get hit in the head, that makes it a crime story. How myopic you are.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,348 times
Alright i think this was a good topic but as usual there are some negative people screwin it up.. i think this topic can be closed now

Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Alright i think this was a good topic but as usual there are some negative people screwin it up.. i think this topic can be closed now
lol if only it were that simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey