U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM

517 posts, read 1,707,861 times

Advertisements

I have had my home for 2 years but am still fairly new to home ownership.

I have an almost 100 yr. old home near the shore and have some questions about utilities for those of you who may live in the same area.

My house has oil for heating and hot water. The gas stove has a seperate propane tank since I don't have reg. gas.
Problem is that I have to have the furnace running all year because of the hot water. My furnace is very long- past it's expected life.

Has anyone converted oil to gas lately? How much did you pay for the conversion? Is it more cost and energy efficient to switch to gas? How about the price for the removal of an oil tank (in the basement).
Also, can you recommend any company to do this in the area? Until I do this, who has the best oil prices?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured someone in these forums has had this happen in this area.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM

7,577 posts, read 21,037,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I have had my home for 2 years but am still fairly new to home ownership.

I have an almost 100 yr. old home near the shore and have some questions about utilities for those of you who may live in the same area.

My house has oil for heating and hot water. The gas stove has a seperate propane tank since I don't have reg. gas.
Problem is that I have to have the furnace running all year because of the hot water. My furnace is very long- past it's expected life.

Has anyone converted oil to gas lately? How much did you pay for the conversion? Is it more cost and energy efficient to switch to gas? How about the price for the removal of an oil tank (in the basement).
Also, can you recommend any company to do this in the area? Until I do this, who has the best oil prices?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured someone in these forums has had this happen in this area.

Thanks so much!
There's been a few threads on this topic..you may want to try the seach. Price all depends on type, size, etc. of the unit you have now. I would get a few estimates from a few companies before deciding. Estimates are free..or at least they should be. If you have a small home, I'd say you'll be looking in the neighborhood of about 4 to 5K? I have propane and I'm happy with it. Cost difference per gallon depends on the BTUs. It gets confusing and can be misleading..do some research online - you should be able to get a general idea as to which fuel is most efficient.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM

992 posts, read 3,352,689 times
Do you even have gas avail.. you mention a propane stove.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Do you even have gas avail.. you mention a propane stove.
I think that is her source for the conversion..from oil to Propane.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM

517 posts, read 1,707,861 times
I have propane only for my gas stove. When I bought the house, they had purchased a new gas stove but when I went to have it hooked up the only way to do is would be to get a propane tank.

I can get gas now because a few years ago when they built the nearby townhouses they had to run a gas line right in front of my house.

My house is less than 1000 sq. ft.- so it's small.

Heating- oil
Hot water- oil (have to run it in the summer for this alone)
Stove, dryer- propane tank
Furnace- very old and past it's expected time.

I think it would just be easier to just get a gas new boiler (current is very old), new furnace, get rid of tanks and run gas into the house for everything.

The new things would probably be more energy efficient and then I would just have a gas bill- instead of oil and propane.

I rented for all my 20's and have only had gas- was so much easier. No oiler deliveries- always hot water.

This will be a big expense for me- as I am a single mom with limited funds. Want to make sure I make the best and in the long run- cheapest- decision possible. Also, for resale someday.

Wileynj- what is difference between the gas and propane? cheaper, more efficient? I have never heard of anyone I know heating their house with propane.

I almost ran out of oil 2 weeks ago before a vacation, so I shut off the furnace until I got back (less than a week), returned-bought 10 gallons diesel to temporarily hold me over since it's just for the water, now went to turn on the furnace and it's smoking. UGGGHHHH! Now I'm going to have to get someone here- neighbor not sure what to do next. Gas sounds so much easier right now. 1 bill, since it'll be new- hopefully no problems for a while. Bills would be similar monthly instead of all in the winter- nothing in the summer.

Thanks so much!
M

I have searched the forums for similar questions but very few are in my area and were done a couple of months ago. Wanted more current comments- sorry for repeated this topic.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM

So you have a boiler.

Do you have ductwork or radiators?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
So you have a boiler.

Do you have ductwork or radiators?
No duct work for a boiler?? Or are you asking that question to see if she has A/C and could possibly convert to forced air? Thing to keep in mind OP...converting from Oil to Gas may require adjustments to you exisitng chimney...great alternative - money saving alternative would be to request pricing for direct vent systems.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM

I've seen old boilers plumbed to a heat exchanger in front of an air handler.

Most likely you have a basement, if it's single story than even if there's no ductwork it's not that big of an issue.

Direct Vent is probably the way to go, but without seeing oyour house it's tough to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey