U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,341,151 times

Advertisements

Are they that good???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM

1,542 posts, read 5,521,852 times
probably the best pizza i've had in nj, but not nearly as good as the best in nyc (especially brooklyn and staten island) or new haven, ct.

note that there are two delorenzo's in trenton: one on hamilton st, and one on hudson st. the two branches were always separately owned by the delorenzo brothers. nowadays, the hamilton street location is run by the son of one brother, while the hudson street storefront is operated by the son-in-law of the other brother.

the one on hamilton is generally considered to be more consistent, while the hudson branch serves tastier pies when it's "on", although sometimes it's not on its game.

the main beef i have with the pies, esp. the hudson street location, is that the crust is sometimes overly crispy without having any chewiness. the cheese and sauce, though, are excellent. if you do get a pie with a nice, chewy crust, then the whole thing tastes great.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,341,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
probably the best pizza i've had in nj, but not nearly as good as the best in nyc (especially brooklyn and staten island) or new haven, ct.

note that there are two delorenzo's in trenton: one on hamilton st, and one on hudson st. the two branches were always separately owned by the delorenzo brothers. nowadays, the hamilton street location is run by the son of one brother, while the hudson street storefront is operated by the son-in-law of the other brother.

the one on hamilton is generally considered to be more consistent, while the hudson branch serves tastier pies when it's "on", although sometimes it's not on its game.

the main beef i have with the pies, esp. the hudson street location, is that the crust is sometimes overly crispy without having any chewiness. the cheese and sauce, though, are excellent. if you do get a pie with a nice, chewy crust, then the whole thing tastes great.
Thanks I have read that they are great, I have read that New Haven has good pizza and you mentioned it, what the place. I really am not the type to go to Brooklyn, staten Island I will go so whats better? Thanks for answering.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,919,586 times
I grew up with DeLorenzo's Hamilton Avenue. My mother grew up on Monmouth Street, about a half mile away, so her family were devotees long before I came around. Needless to say we gathered there as a family quite often on Saturday nights. I don't get there as much as I'd like to anymore, but it's still a great place. I brought my fiancee there for the first time while we were still dating in college. She thought that being from North Jersey she knew everything there was to know about good pizza. She's now firmly of the mindset that the best tomato pie comes from the middle, not the top of the state

Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,625,691 times
Try them-they are that good!!! Yummy!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Thanks I have read that they are great, I have read that New Haven has good pizza and you mentioned it, what the place. I really am not the type to go to Brooklyn, staten Island I will go so whats better? Thanks for answering.
the two really good pizza places in new haven, ct are sally's and pepe's. both are on wooster st in the old little italy section of that city. there's also a spot elsewhere in the city called modern apizza, but IMO it's a distant third to sally's and pepe's.

on staten island, the best is joe & pat's. really crisp crust, nice tangy sauce, and very clean, distinct flavors. i really like the scungilli (conch) topping with the pie. IMO joe and pat's serves one of the best pizzas in the entire ny/nj metro area, and is better than delorenzo's even when it's at its best.

there's also denino's and nunzio's, although they're not nearly as good as they used to be.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,239,476 times
i have tried de Lorenzo's--not sure which one cause a freinds picked it up and drove it all the way to our house about an hour away.
it was very good. hadnt tasted anything like it before. its just different the way they use the tomato-what looks like paste to me.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,919,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
it was very good. hadnt tasted anything like it before. its just different the way they use the tomato-what looks like paste to me.
Don't forget the crispy-almost-burned crust drizzled with olive oil. That alone makes a HUGE difference.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM

i almost forgot to mention, but there's a new, larger, super bright, and spiffy branch of delorenzo's in a strip mall in robbinsville. i haven't been there yet but i've heard it has everything the trenton locations lack (comfort, space, a full bar, and a parking lot) plus some of the things the original branches do have (long waits, good pizza). not sure if the pizza matches up to either the hamilton or hudson locations; i guess that remains to be seen, since it's only been open since the beginning of the year.

also, i should add that in addition to its regular tomato pie, delorenzo's is supposed to have a very good white pie, although i've never tried it there.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,455 times
Frankly, I think their pizza is lame. Just as disappointing as Conte's in Princeton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey