U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

It looks like we'll be moving to NJ area by 9/1 (working at Franklin Lakes) from Ann Arbor, MI--where would be the optimal place to move given the following constraints?
(1) Should we buy (affordability ~ 500K) or rent a house for the 1st year (~$2800) and see if the housing market softens further? So we don't have to change schools again, we'd have to rent in the same town that we'd hope to buy in the future.
(2) Safe area with 30-40something families with excellent schools (academic and extra-curricular); kids play outside a lot.
(3) <1hr commute
(4) Since kids are into competitive/travel sports, we'll be looking for good tennis clubs nearby and good travel soccer and hockey clubs.
(5) wife is a "stay at home" mom (so it'll be nice if there are similar family situations)
(6) moderately conservative area

I'd appreciate any feedback...I've spent quite a bit of time checking out the threads but the best I've come up with are Wyckoff, Millburn, Basking Ridge (although Ridge HS doesn't seem to have tennis); unfortunately they don't seem to have hockey either....Not looking forward to the huge increase in cost of living
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
I did some more research and am providing the info. below so folks in a similar situation may find it useful:

Our likely answer: Millburn
(1) Will have to rent (saw a couple of small houses for ~$2800) and this should give us a year to sort things out...
(2) From other threads, Millburn seems to fit most of the requirements for a good place to live in (great schools, safe, clean, etc); the high school seems to be good in both academics and sports (esp. tennis)
(3) Commute to Franklin Lakes seems about 40min, although I'd prefer to take public transportation.
(4a): Tennis
I found a couple of tennis clubs/academies close by (NSTA in Gillette and Center Court in Chatham; port washington is unfortunately an hour away but hopefully we'll find a good coach for our daughter in one of the locations close by).
(4b) Travel Hockey: NJ Devils Youth Hockey is within 15min (unfortunately, it looks like tryouts in NJ are in April (it's July/August in Mi)); a couple of other clubs are within a half hour.
(4c) Soccer: There seem to be at least 3 soccer clubs in a 20min radius (will just have to see which is the best fit, and here too my son would have missed the tryouts---oh well)---e.g. Millburn Soccer Club, Parsippany Lightning
(5) & (6) above not that important at this time since we'll be renting for the 1st year.

We definitely will not be looking forward to the potentially lot longer drive times to and from practice/games for all the kids sports :-(

Contingent on the offer, we'll probably go out there in a couple of weeks and check things out (who knows it might be quite different from what we're expecting?)...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey