Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 AM

19 posts, read 107,408 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the pros & cons of going through ADT directly vs. using an authorized dealer?

I received a flyer for a $99 installation but when I called the number (thinking it was ADT) it was actually for Eversafe Security (google search shows they are the largest authorized ADT dealer in the northeast).

I called ADT directly and was told that they would make an appointment for an estimate and I could then shop around for prices from various authorized ADT dealers.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on if it's better to go direct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

49 posts, read 373,036 times
Can't tell you for sure, as I am in the process of trying to figure out Alarm systems myself (see another thread...)

But I can say that in my web research I saw very few good things said about Eversafe. No personal experience, but based on what I've read, they came off my list rather early in the running.

Google 'em.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 60,860 times
I just got off the phone with Eversafe and I would NEVER recommend them. They were very pushy to get my sale. When I asked if someone could come out to my house and talk to me, or send me materials in writing, they said "that's now how this works." I had to first pay $99 to get someone out to my house. I told them I'm not paying and that I was going to look elsewhere. They ended the call with "you'll be back." Not a chance with that customer service...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,411 times
Full disclosure before I comment: I have a few friends who work for ADT as installers in both the residential (resi) and commercial (com) side of the business.

Of course they will recommend going through ADT directly. I do too, but for different reasons.

Going through ADT Sales means they will be able provide you the most up-to-date equipment and packages ADT has available. Also, they will look to schedule an ADT installer who is paid by the company. Yes, the ADT installers do receive paid commissions for any upgrade sales they make (i.e., you initially order a certain type of keypad, then decide to upgrade). But, unlike most third-party installers, they are getting a flat hourly wage based on union agreements.

I'm also leery of third-party installers, even the ones that claim to use "ADT parts." Many times these are remanufactures of defective parts or are older parts that have been toss-offs from other jobs. Example: A customer asks for a package to be installed which includes X number of sensors. When the installer gets to the house, only W number of sensors are needed. Installer now has U number of sensors left over. Six months or a year later, s/he gets your job. Your install uses that same panel as the one installed six monthes or a year before and it needs another sensor beyond what is in the kit for your job. The "extra" sensor from the past job is used. The problems are as follows:
  • that leftover sensor has a battery that is six months or a year old which means diminished life before replacement.
  • It is keyed to the other job. Thus, the sensor isn't on the original parts list for your job and may not be recognized as part of the install which adds headaches if you are trying to get something fixed later on.
  • There is also the potential is there for the third-party installer to claim an added charge beyond what you are already paying for the added sensor in your install contract.
Before you go with ADT Sales, though, I would suggest to anyone to do their own home review. Count up all the windows and doors separately on the first-floor of your home. Window contacts are priced differently than door contacts. All first-floor windows and doors need contacts. You should seriously consider motion detectors for each room on the first floor.

If you don't have a connected smoke alarm system (alarms on each floor of the home including basement and one in each bedroom all of which are triggered if one senses smoke), I would definitely recommend that. If you can go for the heat sensor in the kitchen, that would also be a plus. A CO2 gas detector would also be beneficial.

Second-floor windows can have contacts put on them, but it's usually only needed if you have tall trees around the home with branches near the windows or if you have a porch roof with windows overlooking it.

Unless you have some significant art collection, a honking amount of electronic equipment, or you have a maid service come in to clean your place, I wouldn't recommend an internal camera system. Outside, unless you are in a secluded area, you don't need a camera system either.

I'd also recommend that you pay the added price and go for wireless contacts throughout the house. I'd also recommend that you get the cell service. It costs more for install and monitoring, but knowing that if the phone wires have been cut or are out because of a storm, the system can still get an emergency call to the call center, that is peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 65,370 times
Default The real deal about ADT Direct and ADT Dealers.

I have a couple points to cover here.

ADT dealers get paid or "funded" for contracts they bring to ADT. When you sign up for ADT services through a dealer, you are not the dealers customer, you are ADT directs customer even though you went through a dealer. It is exactly how cell phone service dealers work. The dealers only 4 obligations are to - 1) Try and get business - advertising, door to door, etc. 2) Close the deal! 3) Install your system. 4) Maintenance it for the first 90 days until ADT's warranty plan kicks in. After the initial 90 days a dealer is relieved of any obligations. As a matter of fact they can not even touch an installed system after 90 days because it has to go to ADT direct first for a service call ticket. Dealers get funded by ADT direct for the contract between 2-4 weeks after installation. That is ONLY if their customer passes a Q&A taken from an ADT direct dealer quality assurance person. If the customer complains and fails Q&A the dealer will get NO money unless the reason for failing Q&A is fixed and confirmed by the customer within a certain time period. So it is in a dealers best interest to completly satisfy and be diligent when signing and installing a customer. Dealer has alot to lose $$$$ if not.

EQUIPMENT: ADT dealers under contract are not allowed to install used equipment. If they do they are violating the dealer agreement and if caught can be fined thousands of dollars. All ADT dealers install new equipment but I am sure there will be some that sneak, but very few. ADT direct gives dealers a list of control panels that they can either install as new or take over as existing. ADT direct uses there "own" equipment which actually is a honeywell vista series panel that they "BRAND" as their own. The same goes for other larger companies that claim to have their "own" equipment. Its all branding, no alarm company is a manufacturer of electronics. So if you want to go with a dealer I would ask what type of panel or system they install hoping its honeywell/ademco. Remember not all dealers are required to install the same equipment. ASK!

PRICING: ADT Direct and ADT dealers generally are the same price. However, dealers have alot more flexibility with offering more equipment then ADT direct. Some dealers offer twice the amount of free equipment and charge much less for extra equipment then ADT direct. This is the main reason why people choose to go with an ADT dealer. Dealers tend to have better offers because they compete with other dealers for your business while ADT direct does not want to get caught up in all that and the same goes for the other big companies. My opinion is to do your research and find a generous dealer with a better deal that offers the same system as ADT direct. Save $$$$.

WARRANTY: As mentioned in the first paragraph a dealer can only service an account for the first 90 days. Remember within this period it is the dealers responsibility to fix any problems and keep the customer satisfied because if they complain, ADT can charge back the dealer for the full amount funded to them for that contract costing the dealer hundred's of lost dollars. After 90 days customer must go through ADT direct for service calls. ADT direct will most likely send another dealer to do the job with pay. This is because there are more ADT dealer technicians spread out then ADT direct technicians.

INSTALLERS: Most ADT dealers have their own dedicated technicians. Some might out source if they are overwelmed but usually with another dealers technician. Installing a system is not rocket science and very easy to do especially using wireless devices. The hardest part is the programming which all technicians obviously have to know or they couldn't possibly do it. Most dealers technicians are hourly with some being a flat rate for a basic system then paid extra for each additional piece they connect. Installers can upsell to customers but most usually don't care do that all though my opinion is that every installer in every industry should try and upsell.

CONCLUSION: If you want a better deal do your research and go with a dealer. After all it is the exact same system, service, warranty and company you would get going with ADT direct. If you dont want to hassle with a dealer or "subcontractor" then go with ADT direct. You might spend more $$$ but feel better that you went direct.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM

35 posts, read 228,749 times
I used ADT direct last year. I was happy with the sales person and the install and they offered touch screen pads that some dealers did not have (at that time). Some of my friends had bad experiences with dealers so I decided to use ADT direct. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 118,693 times
All those deals for 99 dollars are just that. You get what you pay for plus you never own the eqipment your just another victim.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
What about Slomins Shield?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
How much does service cost? How much does your homeowners insurance go down?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 118,693 times
Angry burned again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble head dufus View Post
All those deals for 99 dollars are just that. You get what you pay for plus you never own the eqipment your just another victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: