Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 PM

16 posts, read 66,422 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a town in northern or central NJ that has a good special ed program for a child with dyslexia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:48 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,118 times
I don't know what the name of it is.....But there is a school in Princeton that a friend sends their child too (he's in High School). I know that the school specializes in disabilities like dyslexia. Our friends son had very poor self esteem - frequent arguements - not getting good grades...etc. They sent him to this school and he's like a new kid. He gets A's now. He's just a happy person. Our friends are actually out of the country right now, but I will see if I can find out the name of it for you. Try doing a search on Special Ed Schools. I believe its not just a high school.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Lewis School

Thank you for the advice. On your suggestion I googled it and found that it's called the Lewis School. I will call them on Monday. There's another private school in Mountain Lakes called Craig School. I was looking for a public school system that had a good program for dyslexia.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 PM

223 posts, read 795,846 times
Whatever you do, don't send your kid to a NJ public school, or else he'll enter dyslexic and graduate dyslexic.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerize View Post
Thank you for the advice. On your suggestion I googled it and found that it's called the Lewis School. I will call them on Monday. There's another private school in Mountain Lakes called Craig School. I was looking for a public school system that had a good program for dyslexia.
Yep...thats the one!

Old 09-20-2008, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,309 times
Default dyslexia school

The lewis school is very nice and the location is excellent but the school is not accredited which means a reall college or university will not accept that diploma. My son goes to The new Grange School in Hamilton, NJ fully accredited special to teach dyslexia. mainli Wilson reading. Reach out to them . they are great. Tell them Zack's mom told you to call them. The Principal is Mr. Hegudus.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 25,166 times
Default dyslexia and school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerize View Post
Can anyone recommend a town in northern or central NJ that has a good special ed program for a child with dyslexia?
montclair. but you still have to be a gorilla parent to help your kid. We did okay there, and my daughter is now in her 4th year at university @ buffalo. its not easy.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 AM

142 posts, read 565,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
Whatever you do, don't send your kid to a NJ public school, or else he'll enter dyslexic and graduate dyslexic.
Hmn, that's odd. My 3 sisters and myself all went to NJ public schools and graduated to the top of the class, and went on to college attaining great high-paying careers.

That wasn't a very nice "joke". My young one has apraxia....and whether it's dyslexia or apraxia (very similar), it's no joking matter at all. It's a neurological disorder and you won't "enter dyslexic and graduate dyslexic" just from going to NJ public schools. By the way you are writing, it's quite obvious to me that you didn't go to school at all.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,001 times
Default Check the schools

I fought for 2 years to get my son to go to Newgrange and he will be staying for another 2 years. You need to be in a good school system that can recognize dyslexia and train the students how to work with it for a public school to work. Add other issues or have the student be a trying well-behaved student, and the public schools don't work.
Apraxia and dyslexia are not one and the same. Apraxia is more speech related. Dyslexia is a reading problem and can be as people usually think about it in reversing letters - such as b and d, or it can be a reading comprehension issue, or simply tracking problem. Add other issues to the diagnosis and special needs schools do more. (My son has both Apraxia, dyslexia and hypotonia.)
Look at the schools carefully to see what each one offers. Two other schools that are out there are Cambridge School and Bridge Academy. (Bridge is a spin-off of Newgrange.)

Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Thank you everyone. We're in Morris County so Grange, Newbridge and Cambridge are too far away. I appreciate your suggestions however!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey