Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 AM

19 posts, read 134,045 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can recommend a nice park/lake with a picnic area that already has BBQ grills so we don't need to carry any there. It would be nice if the park had bike trails, boating and other activities as well. I've been to lake Hopatcong so trying something new this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsee View Post
Wondering if anyone can recommend a nice park/lake with a picnic area that already has BBQ grills so we don't need to carry any there. It would be nice if the park had bike trails, boating and other activities as well. I've been to lake Hopatcong so trying something new this time.
Johnson park in Piscataway right along the Raritan river. Biking trail which leads to the canal path bikeway but no boating. Small zoo for the little kids, tennis courts and tons of ball fields.
You have to reserve the picnic groves for large groups.

E

Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 AM

101 posts, read 460,447 times
doing my playground tour, I noticed Nomahegan has a lake but no boating, picnic areas and a 2mile loop. here's a link for the map
http://www.ucnj.org/maps/parks/nomaheganpark.pdf (broken link)
you can take a look at my post for Nomahegan Park, there is usually something going on.. NJ Playgrounds Photo Gallery and Blog » Cranford

Also Watchung reservation is another one with grills (i think) no lake though.. here is the union county parks summary...
Union County - Parks & Community Renewal (http://www.ucnj.org/parks/parkareas.html - broken link)

Old 07-19-2008, 06:42 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Swartzwood lake is really nice and you can rent paddle boats, row boats, sail boats..nice day out. Department of Environmental Protection

Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Schooley's Mountain Park in Long Valley, Morris County.

Morris County Park Commission Schooley's Mountain County Park

Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i think there is one in saddle brook--and cant for the life of me remember the name. even though we used to go there all the time when i was little. they have a petting zoo and i think a train.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:41 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
I can't remember if there were any large grills, but I remember firepits set-up around the water, try Ramapo Reservation. There are some great hiking trails up to the upper lake.
If you don't mind the drive, try Harriman State Park.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Van Saun Park in Paramus has a really nice picnic area with grills. No lake but it has a lot of activities for kids - petting zoo, carousel, train ride and pony rides. And the playground is right next to the picnic area.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
Van Saun Park in Paramus has a really nice picnic area with grills. No lake but it has a lot of activities for kids - petting zoo, carousel, train ride and pony rides. And the playground is right next to the picnic area.
that is the one i couldnt remember the name of!! thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 39,956 times
You can go to Wildwood, the boardwalk there offers picnic packages that include the rides, waterparks and food so you won't have to bring anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey