Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,469 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to East Orange, NJ from NY as rent in NY is just way out of control. My fiance and I would like to buy a home or condo, and have been told that although East Orange was once a very scary place that there is now alot of redevelopment and revitalization going on in the community. Both of us work in Manhattan,and I go to law school at night, so there will be nights where I don't get home until 10:30, 11pm. Is this neighborhood safe, or at least on its way to becoming safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Unfortunately, no matter how much revitalization there's going on the area is less than desirable, if you don't mind drugs, crackheads, gangs & violence as part of your crime demographics, by all means, do move there. You'll find the usual pros & cons from some, but why don't you just go there and check out the area by yourself, say night time.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM

148 posts, read 639,393 times
why not check out rahway...a lot of revitalization going on downtown...direct line to the city and homes are affordable

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 AM

46 posts, read 166,627 times
You may also want to look at Orange proper....The town doesn't have a great reputation, but it is on the upswing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurierempp View Post
I am considering moving to East Orange, NJ from NY as rent in NY is just way out of control. My fiance and I would like to buy a home or condo, and have been told that although East Orange was once a very scary place that there is now alot of redevelopment and revitalization going on in the community. Both of us work in Manhattan,and I go to law school at night, so there will be nights where I don't get home until 10:30, 11pm. Is this neighborhood safe, or at least on its way to becoming safer?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 35,791 times
East Orange very rough area Orange is better Not much though part of s orange even better. W orange how much $ you got?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,341 times
I just moved to East Orange, NJ, and I can understand how you feel. My husband and I just baught a condo here in a complex thats really nice. Although it might not be the best neighborhood, I can honestly say that I have NEVER felt unsafe. And ill add that I am a middle aged white women who walks her dog at 6am every morning! I get a kick out of the stares. Its almost like "O no there goes the neighborhood!" But, seriously, they are really cleaning up East Orange, or at least the side that I live on. My complex's name is 60. It has great security staff, a full gym, a media room, a store soon, and a laundry. The only thing is the rooms are a bit small. If you want more space than check out Woodlawns at the Upsala (hope I spelled that right ) Anyway, your property value will definately increase and this is good time to buy while the market is down.
Good Luck in your hunt.
God Bless!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

45 posts, read 126,038 times
i would definitely check out south orange and stay clear of e. orange or orange. if you have the money, don't waste your time in a questionable neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,814 times
East Orange is not a good choice, I would think long and hard before doing this one.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM

48 posts, read 161,870 times
East Orange is an excellent choice. It has changed alot in the past three years. I say go for it. Please... Stay away from the number streets.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,869 times
I just moved to E.O. - purchased a townhouse last december. There are for sure parts of town to stay away from, but all in all, i feel very safe in the place. When i go for jogs from my house to orange park on central ave people of all types and ages smile and say hello. Sure its the ghetto, but there are some good people here. There are also too many kids and not enough parents. thats my issue. kids playing everywhere.

maybe i sound like an old crank but i'm only 26 and kids are more anoying than anyone who looks like a gangster ever was.

also note, the redevelopment efforts in EO are vast and will play a role in raising property values in areas. play your cards right and you'll do very well here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey