Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

While they had made the very important decision a while ago to get rid of the astro turf down at the traffic circle, Rutherford has a long way to go. I had made the suggestion once before to the then borough administrator "BA" that downtown become a walking town rather than a traffic circle. The BA did not at all like that idea. I believe if they allowed Park Avenue to be a walk only area that would bring more business to the storeowners. I also feel it is very important to make the proper choices in what businesses should be allowed on Park Avenue. We have wonderful restaurants, we used to have Kristies, a lovely gift shop that is long gone- we now have some shop owners that are attempting to create and maintain their businesses, Poppy's Florist shop, Sweet Avenue Bake Shop. When I look at our historic town, and charming downtown, I see the world of possibilities. The train station renovations and a film festival coming to Williams Art Center in September- how wonderful, but how do you really attract and maintain interest in our town if we are simply a drive through on Park Avenue, with few places to park, no time to window shop. Alas the reason for a walking town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Kind of like Washington Ave in Cape May? It would be novel, and if marketed correctly, it could really have an appeal. I don't see it working though. RPD likes ticketing the double and illegal parkers too much fot that Realistically, I can't see them doing that.

I think that the town needs to be a little less rediculous w/ the business owners if they want to make the downtown less "vacant." They are notorious for being real jerks when it comes to inspections, etc. Plus, I have to say the locals really don't "support" their businesses. But when the owners are trying to pay their rent with limited purchases, what do you expect. It's sad.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
I recently heard that the five or so vacant stores between Paisanos and Jim Dandys will be torn down and something else built. Even if its townhomes it will look better than vacant old store fronts, but I do wish it were nice stores. The property in the back is huge and remains undeveloped, possibly because of whatever is going to be there in the future. I used to love the antique stores, Elizabeths Garden, the Junk Trunk, Attic or Grandpas antiques near the Yankee Candle place. All gone now :-( Only one is left on the sidestreet by Mignons. Question: why cant we have a street like in Montclair with stores like: Gap, Williams Sonoma, Starbucks (since most of our coffee houses are gone), or like in Lyndhurst a TJ Maxx, etc. Does anyone know why our town cant have this? Its a shame our Park Ave and Union ave sits with so many vacant spaces. Anyone know what is to become of the old Key Foods? Thanks all :-)

Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM

I can say that the downtown commission, while it does a lot of good work, also makes it a little difficult for businesses. The town itself is NIGHTMARISH to deal with. Really terrible. They don't make it easy to do business there and that reputation keeps many away.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM

27 posts, read 84,337 times
Default Rutherford

I moved out of Rutherford last year and don't regret it. I am in Morris Township in a house twice the size and a lot 5 times the size and am paying less taxes here. Complaints about the taxes fall on deaf ears. One councilwoman actually told me when she was canvassing last year that the outrageous taxes were not at all hard on seniors with limited budgets, as most the seniors in town were well off and had their children to take care of them. I have heard the downtown partnership is a pain in the *** too, run by a few people who want to be important. The town is cute and is very close to NYC which is why I liked it but the taxes were way too high.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Well, taxes going out of control led to the Democrats getting booted out of City Hall last year. Don't know how much of a difference it will make, but time will tell.

Downtown Partnership is one of those agencies that is SUPPOSED to do good, but winds up being a bloated, self-important beuracracy.

That said, I still think Rutherford is a decent town.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,516 times
Rutherford location, is great, center located to all major cities in this metropolitan area. Hop Skip and jump to New York City. Transportation is great. School are great for Southern Bergen, if you decide to live in Northern Bergen, you will pay much higher Taxes. My kids fair very well in the schools. But the school does seem to threaten cuts all the time if the budget is not pass. And they need to find ways of balancing the budget like everyone else. You get a small town feeling, and a chance to see/or work in the city. The best thing is if you live here say active in keep the town taxes down. and school system up.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 PM

95 posts, read 521,426 times
I am curious about the commute. Does anyone know the approximate time into midtown (either bus or rail)?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM

59 posts, read 399,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post
I am curious about the commute. Does anyone know the approximate time into midtown (either bus or rail)?
Bus: NJ transit 190. Operates via Union Avenue and Orient Way. Express buses get into Port Authority in 20-25 minutes if there is no traffic. In rush hour it can take 30-40 minutes.

Train: NJ Transit (Main?Bergen line) Change over at Secaucus Junction to NY Penn station. ~20 minutes.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 AM

59 posts, read 183,280 times
Rutherford is a wonderful town,and very ideal for people who need to have public transportation. Unfortunately, the taxes in Rutherford are classic NJ taxes out of control. Anyway, it's a neat little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey