Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 36,363 times

Advertisements

What about New Providence or Berkeley Heights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM

157 posts, read 780,613 times
I will add my 2 cents.

Since you plan to stay in the house a long time- it is a good time to buy- prices are relatively reasonable (and so are interest rates). Take your time to get what you want. Once you purchase a place- it is hard to move (because the realtor will take a nice chunk of your equity).

If schools are important, I would compare test scores (not their rating) on greatschools.net. Pick some of the top scorers in your area of interest. Visit the towns, spend the day and evening there. There are not many areas with real "downtowns", so if that is a priority it will certainly narrow your list down.

You have listed some areas that are generally "not great": rahway, kearny, etc.

Other areas that (to me) don't seem to have a sense of community: Livingston, Springfield.

Summit and Madison are very nice- but to me seem to have a beautiful area, and a small not so great area (which is where you might find something in your budget), so I would skip them.

I am from Westfield (and a big fan), and would tell you it is wonderful- but probably out of your price range. But I would look... I think Cranford is a great choice. It is a little more reasonable. The schools (I think) are rated very well, it seems to be community oriented, and has a great downtown and a great park! Also has a train station. (just don't buy in the flood zone- it does flood).

I would take your time and be picky. Try to find a small, cute house on a decent street in a good section of the town (that will be important for resale). You can make many cosmetic changes to update to your liking....

Good luck, it is a lot of work and fun to own a home!!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 17,572 times
Strike while the irons hot! Now is a great time to get a house in a good area at that price but act fast investors are moving in on them fast. Check out Bloomfield and Montclair the train can have your wife in NYC within 30min or less Both are family oriented communities with good schools Montclairs school stats are a bit better than bloomfield but they are both good places

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I would definitely consider Nutley. Great town and good schools. No train, but commute is easy to Midtown via bus.
Probably out of their budget. Plus taxes are extremely high.

Check out Hanover Township (Whippany & Cedar Knolls). Lowest property taxes in Morris County. Convenient buses to NYC.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM

69 posts, read 313,093 times
I would strongly consider Rutherford. The pricing will be your biggest issue - but you can find something in the low $400K range, if this is not too much of a stretch. The downtown area is great, blue ribbon schools, parks and bus/train in town. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,452 times
Default looking in Bergen Co

Thanks all, for your input.

Tomorrow I am going to look at a few homes in Bergen County.
The homes are all 3br around 400k. The towns I will visit are Teaneck, New Milford, Bogota and New Milford.

Other than price and size, the two criterea I am focusing on are schools and nyc commute times. In terms of the commute, I think these 4 are pretty comparable. When I look at schools, I look at the rate of HS kids going onto college, which is in the NJ school report. Also I consider the pct of kids in AP classes. I think these somewhat reflect the overall health of a district. None of the high schools in these towns are outstanding, but they are above average, based on a quick look at the numbers.

Can anyone give some insight on these 4 towns? Parts of town to note or avoid, interesting facts, etc...

TIA

Old 08-02-2008, 12:22 AM

48 posts, read 161,870 times
I think The IVY HILL Sction of Newark would be a great choice for your family you could find a beatiful house for about 250,000. The Mount Vernon Elementry School is pretty good. Arts High, University High and Science High are great. Take a visit or ask Mayor Corey Booker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey