Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
She was, indeed, double dipping.

Here's what happened:

Wal-Mart paid for her medical expenses after the accident. When she sued the trucking company, she sued them for medical expenses. That's where the problem is.

And guess what?

Wal-Mart said she could keep the money anyway because of the bad press they got.

This proves my point: do your research before you make a decision instead of watching skewed video clips. Just because they are a "documentary" doesn't make them up to date or based in fact. Loose Change is an example.

Well then..that's great news for the family. Still doesn't resolve their other issues now does it? How long have you worked for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
Too bad that the documentary on Target, Home Depot, Lowes etc, has not been written yet.......then you could compare.

Walmart would still lose.Those companies don't kill towns ,they don't do the things Walmart does and that on purpose.Some of the "Big Box Guys" are responsible.B.J.'s and Costco and Target etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Well then..that's great news for the family. Still doesn't resolve their other issues now does it? How long have you worked for them?

Incidentally, I worked for Sam's Club in the mid-90's. It was one of the worst jobs I ever had, so please don't confuse me pointing out truth as being a plant for Wal-Mart.

My main transgression in this thread is about how dangerous the internet is getting with skewing opinion.

Saying that Wal-Mart is a dangerous entity is one thing, and I won't fight you on that. But swaying the court of public opinion with carefully edited video clips; that's a true danger.

I am a student of journalism, first and foremost. And the unrestricted areas of the internet can be incredibly dangerous, especially if people with the Adbusters mentality get involved.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
She wasn't double dipping. She received a small settlement from the responsible party and Walmart wanted the money back that they spent on her medical bills! It would be the same as if you or I was in a serious car accident and we sued the repsonsible party and say NJBCBS or AETNA asked for their money back that they spend on hospital bills. The money this woman received is barely enough to cover future health care! It's disgusting! And to top it off...they lost their 18 yr son in Iraq after he was only there for 2 weeks!
The Walmart should go after the responsible party not the Women who was hit,it's not rocket science.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, I worked for Sam's Club in the mid-90's. It was one of the worst jobs I ever had, so please don't confuse me pointing out truth as being a plant for Wal-Mart.

My main transgression in this thread is about how dangerous the internet is getting with skewing opinion.

Saying that Wal-Mart is a dangerous entity is one thing, and I won't fight you on that. But swaying the court of public opinion with carefully edited video clips; that's a true danger.

I am a student of journalism, first and foremost. And the unrestricted areas of the internet can be incredibly dangerous, especially if people with the Adbusters mentality get involved.
I agree with you that the media (via the internet or otherwise) exploits and exaggerates the truth - it's entertainment to them anymore! Come back and chat with us after you land a job in the industry and you're asked to compromise your personal beliefs/convictions for your employer in order to keep your job. Walmart sucks period!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM

And BTW, I'm not picking up on Wiley; but being already familiar with the case, I saw no reason to view the video - did the video, in fact, have an update that Wal-Mart let her keep the money?

If not, that's a big problem.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
She was, indeed, double dipping.

Here's what happened:

Wal-Mart paid for her medical expenses after the accident. When she sued the trucking company, she sued them for medical expenses. That's where the problem is.

And guess what?

Wal-Mart said she could keep the money anyway because of the bad press they got.

This proves my point: do your research before you make a decision instead of watching skewed video clips. Just because they are a "documentary" doesn't make them up to date or based in fact. Loose Change is an example.

You are dead wrong!If Walmart paid any med expenses it sure as hell was not 100% coverage so who pays what's left ......think,so yes she can sue for the Medical expenses and Walmart can go after the responsible party to get it back!Walmart knew this women was hurting and tried to take advantage of her.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The Walmart should go after the responsible party not the Women who was hit,it's not rocket science.
That thought crossed my mind as well..... walmart should have sued the trucking company - not the employee.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that the media (via the internet or otherwise) exploits and exaggerates the truth - it's entertainment to them anymore! Come back and chat with us after you land a job in the industry and you're asked to compromise your personal beliefs/convictions for your employer in order to keep your job. Walmart sucks period!

Incidentally, I worked for a news radio station in the mid 2000's. It was the best job I ever had. And I did, in fact, have to compromise my beliefs on several occasions.

Someone's getting upset, I think.

The "internet" is not true media, because even places like CNN and Fox News has ethics, believe it or not. They may not be great ethics, but they are there.

People who throw up videos on YouTube do not play by the same ethical rules and code.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
And BTW, I'm not picking up on Wiley; but being already familiar with the case, I saw no reason to view the video - did the video, in fact, have an update that Wal-Mart let her keep the money?

If not, that's a big problem.
No it did not. Perhaps you can email the owner of the website? tell them to update it? Oh and one more thing..walmart still sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey