Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:29 PM

197 posts, read 776,974 times

Advertisements

So, as some of you may know, we are moving to NJ from Georgia. We've had an interesting ride to say the least. For one thing, I was surprised by the amount of hoops we jumped through to get financing. Our realtor told us she has had a number of deals fall through due to people not being able to get mortgages. This is especially true, she said, at the higher end where people have traditionally not been scrutinized the way they are now... Despite the news, this was a surprise to us since our credit is clean and we are financially sound. It was a first, to say the least, and we have relo'd three times.

So now we sit here trying to sell our home in Georgia and we are wondering if we should take precautions to make sure our buyers have the ability to get a mortgage before taking the home of the market. (Speaking of above and beyond measures, btw).

Anyway, what's going on in your area? For example, we bought in the Millburn area and we did okay off the list price...I think 15% off or so. What is selling where you live? What are you hearing about prices, lending, etc?

Any info you can share would be appreciated. Let's help each other navigate these murky waters together.... ;-)

Thanks,
Lola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
So, as some of you may know, we are moving to NJ from Georgia. We've had an interesting ride to say the least. For one thing, I was surprised by the amount of hoops we jumped through to get financing. Our realtor told us she has had a number of deals fall through due to people not being able to get mortgages. This is especially true, she said, at the higher end where people have traditionally not been scrutinized the way they are now... Despite the news, this was a surprise to us since our credit is clean and we are financially sound. It was a first, to say the least, and we have relo'd three times.

So now we sit here trying to sell our home in Georgia and we are wondering if we should take precautions to make sure our buyers have the ability to get a mortgage before taking the home of the market. (Speaking of above and beyond measures, btw).

Anyway, what's going on in your area? For example, we bought in the Millburn area and we did okay off the list price...I think 15% off or so. What is selling where you live? What are you hearing about prices, lending, etc?

Any info you can share would be appreciated. Let's help each other navigate these murky waters together.... ;-)

Thanks,
Lola
A few homes by me have sold over the past few months. It seems to be the ones over 600K. My neighbor was on for over 2 yrs. He was originally listed at 679K...held on his price for over a year and then dropped to 639K. He had one contract a few months back that fell through. That was selling at 609K. Within 2 weeks of that contract falling through, the under contract sign went back up. They closed 2 weeks ago and the new people have yet to have moved in? Very odd... they stop by now and again and stand around talking and drinking beer but then they all leave again? It's the strangest thing! I heard from my realtor that mortgages are getting tougher and tougher to get. Prequal letters are useless anymore. Buyers want to see an actual approved loan! Which makes sense... you can get a pre-qual. letter too easily. Might not be a bad idea to keep the sign up at your old place until the house actually closes.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
A few homes by me have sold over the past few months. It seems to be the ones over 600K. My neighbor was on for over 2 yrs. He was originally listed at 679K...held on his price for over a year and then dropped to 639K. He had one contract a few months back that fell through. That was selling at 609K. Within 2 weeks of that contract falling through, the under contract sign went back up. They closed 2 weeks ago and the new people have yet to have moved in? Very odd... they stop by now and again and stand around talking and drinking beer but then they all leave again? It's the strangest thing! I heard from my realtor that mortgages are getting tougher and tougher to get. Prequal letters are useless anymore. Buyers want to see an actual approved loan! Which makes sense... you can get a pre-qual. letter too easily. Might not be a bad idea to keep the sign up at your old place until the house actually closes.
They're just stopping by long enough to check on the 500 hydroponic pot plants they've got growing in the basement, throughout the house and in the attic............

Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They're just stopping by long enough to check on the 500 hydroponic pot plants they've got growing in the basement, throughout the house and in the attic............
Hummm..I was wondering what those green leaves were coming out of the basement windows... I was told a landscaper was moving in but I had no idea what kind of landscaper

Old 07-27-2008, 05:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post

You bid at 15% off asking and got it?

Wow - I'm still new at this - is this standard operating procedure in this market or did Lola get a unique deal? I've been putting bidding numbers together, so I'm not sure.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
You bid at 15% off asking and got it?

Wow - I'm still new at this - is this standard operating procedure in this market or did Lola get a unique deal? I've been putting bidding numbers together, so I'm not sure.
Lola was dealing with a much higher end market..2 million. I always say..offer 90%. Most will take it. All depends on where the property is..Lola is in a desirable area close to NYC and Newark airport. You may be able to go lower but depends on where the house is. Do your homework..find out what they paid..what they owe.

Last edited by wileynj; 07-27-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: my typing just sucks lately!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:34 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
so lola you found one you liked!! Good, glad you came back to tell us!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Lola was dealing with a much higher end market..2 million. I always say..offer 90%. Most will take it. All depends on where the property is..Lola is in a desirable area close to NYC and Newark airport. You may be able to go lower but depends on where the house is. Do your homework..find out what they paid..what they owe.

You can have my answer now, if you'd like. My final offer is this: Nothing. Not even the fee for the homeowner's association, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
You can have my answer now, if you'd like. My final offer is this: Nothing. Not even the fee for the homeowner's association, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.
huh? LOL or is this your offer to the sellers?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM

109 posts, read 345,372 times
Quote:
huh? LOL or is this your offer to the sellers?
It's from a movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey