Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 83,385 times

Advertisements

Currently, I live in South Orange with my husband, 3 year old and one on the way. I am terribly disappointed in how high are taxes are and I am considering moving to CT.

The only problem is that I love the diversity. That's why we moved here in the first place but I feel like I am getting ripped off by having to pay 12K-16K in taxes for a 3.2 ranch and crappy schools.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,209 times
I think you are making perfect sense. I'm originally from So. Orange. My family owned our home for 49 years there. I sold it 3 years ago when my mom died. Even though I absolutely adored her house and I could have sold mine in Toms River and moved there which would have meant being much closer to my job, I wouldn't do it. My mom's house was last assessed in the 70's and she was paying almost $10K on the house by 2003. I imagine with the re-assessments that increased a lot. Additionally you are absolutely right about the schools, if you are going to pay that much you should expect a lot more from the schools. my daughter was an infant at the time but I had no desire to send her to school there.

That said, I love NJ and think you might be able to find something with more reasonable taxes and better schools without leaving. But I think CT is really nice too.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM

792 posts, read 3,125,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlknows View Post
Currently, I live in South Orange with my husband, 3 year old and one on the way. I am terribly disappointed in how high are taxes are and I am considering moving to CT.
I hear ya' but "it is what it is" --- some people in NJ just enjoy paying high taxes. Look at how they vote, many would drink the Kool Aide for McGreevy or Corzine. I feel your pains, trust me.

Quote:
The only problem is that I love the diversity. That's why we moved here in the first place but I feel like I am getting ripped off by having to pay 12K-16K in taxes for a 3.2 ranch and crappy schools.
Didn't you do your homework first before you bought there? The tax load and "Newark subsidization" is insane in Essex. Why did you buy there versus say Madison (just up the train line) in nearby Morris County? Await your response.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

526 posts, read 1,387,698 times
Before you hall off and move to CT, consider Springfield, Summit, New Providence, Chatham, Madison, & Florham Park. All are outside of Essex County and all have much lower taxes (comparable home to comparable home). Summit, Chatham, & Madison all have highly rated schools as well.

I have been in many of the homes which are on the market in all of these towns listed and know that there are some very nice homes availible and of course the taxes are much much lower. My 3700 sqft Colonial in the Convent Station section of Morris Township has 12K in taxes. Put that same house in South Orange and the taxes would be 30K and I still think my taxes are out of line.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 PM

No offense to anyone. One of my assumptions is that native (or long time) NJ folks tend to do more homework/research when moving elsewhere in NJ relative to quality of education (i.e. schools) and taxes (e.g. high taxes, tax appropriation). Good schools and taxes are a very, very high priority.

However I see several of the affluent NYC transplants into NJ being very impulsive and not making time for homework. They don't seem to be aware or concerned about getting a better deal elsewhere (e.g. further up the line, on the other line, elsewhere).

This is one of the reasons why I believe places like SO/Maplewood and maybe even Montclair are still in hot and heavy demand. These are nice towns to visit but for the long haul there are so many better options available closeby. The lenders, brokers, and sellers are in the drivers seat in these locales as long as they have this infinite base of affluent NYC transplants who don't know what us locals know. This runs contrary to the saying "An educated consumer is our best customer".

Again no offense to anyone.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM

173 posts, read 817,267 times
If you work in the city, your commute time is also critical. Madison is 20 minutes past South Orange. That's an extra 40 minutes a day. It's also about $1,000 more per year for the monthly ticket.

Those things, along with taxes and schools, are also part of the equation for many people moving from the city.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 AM

48 posts, read 161,446 times
Oh my! Check out Montclair or West Orange dont hold on sell stop over paying

Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth NJ View Post
Oh my! Check out Montclair or West Orange dont hold on sell stop over paying
Montclair & West Orange = Essex County (Newark) = HIGH TAXES.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 PM

18,411 posts, read 15,113,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Montclair & West Orange = Essex County (Newark) = HIGH TAXES.
Absolutely! There was a chart in the Star Ledger that showed property tax to home value ratios. Glen Ridge was the highest followed by Montclair. West and South Orange were tied for a close third place.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thoughts???

What are you deciding now? CT? Other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey