Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 PM

195 posts, read 648,633 times

Advertisements

I'm going to six flags adventure in Jackson, NJ on saturday - hopefully if not rain (my first time ever). Has anyone ever been there? If so, how is the line there? Too many people? Is it big? Fun? What could you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 06:29 PM

56 posts, read 200,352 times
If you're going to Great Adventure on a Saturday, be prepared for some long lines... especially on the bigger rides. I'd suggest getting there as early as possible for the park begins to really fill up. Also... remember to pack your swim trunks and a change of clothes if you want to do the water park rides.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,329 times
Lines are pretty bad on a weekend there. I always went during the week to avoid that. Oh, and if you're in NJ it's called "Great Adventure", not "Six Flags". :-P

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Oh, and if you're in NJ it's called "Great Adventure", not "Six Flags". :-P
And if you're really from New Jersey it's called "Graduventure." Kind of like how people from Philly swallow their syllables and turn "Philadelphia" into "Fullellfia."

Old 07-13-2008, 09:17 PM

195 posts, read 648,633 times
This is my first year in America, so sorry hehe...

Thanks for all response! My brother is working during the week except weekends, so it has to be saturday. I will know now that we should be there before it opens.
Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
weekend lines are going to be hellish. hopefully the weather isn't brutal.

as others have suggested, you should get there before it opens. then after you enter the park, immediately make your way to the ride/attraction you're most interested in, so you can take advantage of it before the lines get too long. back in the day when the great american scream machine was a big deal, we always used to make a beeline for that roller coaster as soon as the park opened. this allowed us to get that first ride of the day in under our belts with a minimal wait.

obviously, certain rides have a lot of hype every summer because they're brand new, really fast, or super crazy in one way or other. i haven't been to great adventure in a long time so i don't know which ride(s) everyone is talking about these days, but whatever it is, get on it as soon as you get to the park, and if the line isn't too unreasonable after that first ride, get right back on line for a second go-around. by midday, the waits for the most popular rides will easily be 75+ minutes, which really saps your enjoyment of the park, to say the least.

usually we rode the most popular rides really early or really late, and spent the busiest times of day (midday through the late afternoon) on the less popular rides or just hanging out and eating.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
And if you're really from New Jersey it's called "Graduventure." Kind of like how people from Philly swallow their syllables and turn "Philadelphia" into "Fullellfia."
philadelphians (and by extension, a good number of south jerseyans) have an interesting accent. for the most part they speak with a standard american english dialect, but certain words are pronounced oddly:

water = "wooder"
schuylkill = "skoogull"
atlantic = "lannic" (not sure if this is just a south jersey shore thing, though)

and so on and so forth.

sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

as for great adventure, i always thought it was funny how it's one of the only places in the state, other than certain shore towns or rutgers new brunswick, where people from north and south jersey converge in large numbers. this is immediately apparent when you enter the park, as you'll see plenty of people wearing mets/yanks/giants/jets/knicks apparel standing on line next to others wearing phillies/eagles/sixers gear. sometimes i'd be walking around the park and would see so many phillies caps or eagles jerseys that i'd momentarily wonder if i'd ended up in philly rather than jackson. it's funny, because jersey is such a small state geographically, yet there's clearly a divide between north and south (although central jersey can be murky in a few places) that you almost never see philly gear in north jersey. then you go to jackson, which is theoretically an exurb of the nyc metro area but in reality is kind of a neutral site, and you end up seeing people from all over.

contrast that with many other states such as colorado, nebraska, or alabama, where everyone's wearing the same colors and the same caps, jerseys, and sweatshirts. this is because, unlike nj, these states are unified in their support of the same pro or college sports teams.

i guess it makes sense that you'd see a cross-section of nj's residents in jackson, since the town is close to the geographic center of the state.

Last edited by pbergen; 07-14-2008 at 01:29 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I'm going to six flags adventure in Jackson, NJ on saturday - hopefully if not rain (my first time ever). Has anyone ever been there? If so, how is the line there? Too many people? Is it big? Fun? What could you do?

I went to Great Adventure all the time with my cousins growing up...and it is STILL great adventure!~~~~~

Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM

180 posts, read 702,043 times
Lines for coasters will be 1 to 2 hours. Prepare for lots of attempted line cutting here. This park for some reason has ruder guests than many others I've been to. But, putting that aside- it has really, really awesome rides so if you are a coaster buff its totally worth it. The only park I have ever been to that beats it is Cedar Point in Ohio, by far the best of the best.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM

64 posts, read 315,109 times
YOu can also purchase an EZ pass type access thingy I am sure prices are on the website -- VERY MUCH WORTH IT - especially since you can split it among the group -- it allows you to "check into a ride" and it gives you a time to come back to ride -- with very little wait. SO while waiting the hour plus time you can enjoy other rides - or grab a snack/show etc. Be prepared to spend alot of money -- as the whole experince costs an arm and a leg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey