Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM

13 posts, read 35,089 times

Advertisements

While I agree it's not our ideal location for a relo, particularly with what we have currently in O.C. Paradise - YES!! Cost of living though is still a factor, regardless of the housing slump. So question is - is the cost of living at all better in N.J. vs. SoCal? From what I'm seeing so far, the answer appears to be NO! Taxes seem to be a huge factor in NJ. Where can I go to get more info on taxes specifically? Property taxes, sales taxes, insurance? All seem to be a big factor that may make this move a deal-breaker as one of the reasons for the possible move is to better our cost-of-living which again seems like a wash or even worse-off in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyyoung View Post
We're considering a relo from Southern California (Orange County) to N.J. working in Carlstadt. Looking for cities with young families similar to O.C., mixture perhaps of newer and older/eclectic homes - definitely updated, larger homes w/larger lots and kid-friendly. We currently have a single-story 3000+ sqft home, 4 bed/3 ba, 16,000 sq. ft. lot, so looking for something comparible with excellent schools for younger kids.

Thanks!
Look in areas father west - Madison, Chatham, Short Hills/Summit, New Providence. You'll find what you are looking for in these towns, great schools, good housing stock.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
While I agree it's not our ideal location for a relo, particularly with what we have currently in O.C. Paradise - YES!! Cost of living though is still a factor, regardless of the housing slump. So question is - is the cost of living at all better in N.J. vs. SoCal? From what I'm seeing so far, the answer appears to be NO! Taxes seem to be a huge factor in NJ. Where can I go to get more info on taxes specifically? Property taxes, sales taxes, insurance? All seem to be a big factor that may make this move a deal-breaker as one of the reasons for the possible move is to better our cost-of-living which again seems like a wash or even worse-off in NJ.
Have you considered Colorado, Maryland, or NC as options?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM

69 posts, read 313,009 times
I would start looking in Rutherford. You can't get a better commute than that!

It has a beautiful downtown area, it's a dry town (no bars), and has wonderful shops and restaurants, as well as Blue Ribbon schools. Your budget should afford you a lovely home. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Have you considered Colorado, Maryland, or NC as options?
Certainly, however currently I have a potential job offer/opportunity based in Carlstadt which is why my wife and I are doing some preliminary research to see if it's even worth our while to consider.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Certainly, however currently I have a potential job offer/opportunity based in Carlstadt which is why my wife and I are doing some preliminary research to see if it's even worth our while to consider.
Come west... The eastern portions of NJ are expensive and not worth it! 1 million will buy you an "estate" out here. If you have to be to work by 7:30..your commute will be fine..1 hr tops! And if you work until 6:00..same thing. Rush hour is typically 7:00-9:00 in the AM and 4:00-6:00 pm. You can get something worth 1 million east in the west for half that price! If you want any information on this area, just ask. No pollution, no crime, no crowds! Great way to raise your kids.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM

What about areas like Plainfield and Scotch Plains? While further re: distance from Carlstadt, wondering about value re: homes and young families? Looks like property taxes are really high in Scotch Plains, less in Plainfield... Just curious how these areas compare to those mentioned previously.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Also, what about looking in the southern areas of NY (still within driving distance to Carlstadt, same characteristics from my original post re: younger families, etc)? Just trying to expand my circle of searching to encompass all areas surrounding the target working spot of Carlstadt. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Also, what about looking in the southern areas of NY (still within driving distance to Carlstadt, same characteristics from my original post re: younger families, etc)? Just trying to expand my circle of searching to encompass all areas surrounding the target working spot of Carlstadt. Thanks again.
If you are working in Bergen Co. I'd say live in Bergen Co. You might even want to look in upper bergen such as Hillsdale, Harrington Park, maybe Park Ridge. Going further out say select parts of Union County, maybe Cranford, Westfield or Clark.

With gas prices, traffic, proportional car insurance rates and quality time w/family I'd keep it close.

Try to look at mapquest senarios to Carlstadt from Rutherford, Hillsdale, and Cranford. Let is know what ya' think.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Rutherford definately has the mix of old and new and a "downtown." But the downtown is dwindling (you can see more on onther posts - search RUTHERFORD). Their schools are good compared to other lower BC towns, but not really anwhere near as good as the people in town like to tout them as... Blue Ribbon is not as impressive as you may think...

Now, the comute from Rutherford to Carlstadt will be a DREAM. Carlstadt's business district is not all that... do you know the firm or location... I can give you some pointers.

I think Montclair could fit your bill.. but again, schools are mediocre and taxes are OUTRAGEOUS. Nutley NJ is another option, but being in Essex, your taxes will be steep even by Jersey standards.

Upper Bergen would be better schools... Ridgewood or even Westwood could fit your bill.

If you go futher away Chatham, Madison could suit your needs. GOOD LUCK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey