Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times

Advertisements

Montclair for the win!

Very high taxes but decent schools and very intellectual/liberal/progressive. They just opened the first medical marijuana shop in New Jersey.

Montclair Pot Dispensary: New Jersey's First Marijuana Storefront Lands Pot License
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 AM

129 posts, read 206,206 times
Overall Sussex County tends to be conservative. Also,due to the higher elevation, it is colder there when compared to Bergen County or Montclair. (If moving there, make sure you have 4 wheel drive.) The other problem is the time it takes to drive to a decent sized mall.

On the other hand, in most towns the taxes will be lower and you will get more house and property for your money.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM

17 posts, read 46,455 times
I'm going to assume by progressive you mean progressive lifestyle. In other words, secular community, cultural events in town, good library, farmers markets, nice downtown. I'd say for that, your best bet is Montclair if you want something suburban. Downsides to Montclair, **** poor public transport to NYC on weekends(be prepared to drive to the Clifton station), high property taxes, otherwise quite an enjoyable town to raise a family. Also has a couple of movie theaters in town, no need to run to a multiplex at GSP.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM

51 posts, read 111,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springcheer View Post
Hi,

My family and I are looking to move to a progressive/liberal community in Northern NJ with good schools, low crime, and reasonable taxes. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!
Liberalism does not go with low crime, reasonable taxes, and good schools since liberalism often breeds trust of government but distrust of any authority, schools which are run by a centralized government, and taxes which continue to be raised in order to pay for wasteful spending so liberals can win elections and have their ideological dreams fulfilled.

I would say Morristown or Madison would be your best bet; they both have a lot of democrats but are in a republican county and therefore have low taxes, low crime, and good schools.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDude92 View Post
Liberalism does not go with low crime, reasonable taxes, and good schools since liberalism often breeds trust of government but distrust of any authority, schools which are run by a centralized government, and taxes which continue to be raised in order to pay for wasteful spending so liberals can win elections and have their ideological dreams fulfilled.

I would say Morristown or Madison would be your best bet; they both have a lot of democrats but are in a republican county and therefore have low taxes, low crime, and good schools.
Bad news on Montclair: taxes are ridiculous. Probably because of the liberals who run the town.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:

Yikes, that's a very broad brush that you like to paint with. I guess you need to tell all those liberals in Vermont (to name one) that they need to get some more crime and raise taxes so they can fit in NJDude's little box.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Yikes, that's a very broad brush that you like to paint with. I guess you need to tell all those liberals in Vermont (to name one) that they need to get some more crime and raise taxes so they can fit in NJDude's little box.
The reality is, liberals run places into the ground. Lyndon Johnson's policies led public education into the ground for more than 30 years, George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind, while flawed, has helped millions of kids reach for their dreams, but still too many are not reaching for those dreams because of inner-city schools run by liberal bureaucrats. Additionally, cities like LA and Chicago, dominated by liberals for years, have not enforced their laws, have not promoted economic growth, continue to give people money for doing nothing, and have bred corruption. The result has been high crime. Liberal cities have a small tax base since it's citizens are on welfare or too poor to pay taxes.

Also, Vermont was a republican state until the 1990s.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
I've only been in Montclair a few times in my life, but I doubt many Limousine Liberals would be happy with the proximity to Newark it "offers."

Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
The reality is, liberals run places into the ground. Lyndon Johnson's policies led public education into the ground for more than 30 years, George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind, while flawed, has helped millions of kids reach for their dreams, but still too many are not reaching for those dreams because of inner-city schools run by liberal bureaucrats. Additionally, cities like LA and Chicago, dominated by liberals for years, have not enforced their laws, have not promoted economic growth, continue to give people money for doing nothing, and have bred corruption. The result has been high crime. Liberal cities have a small tax base since it's citizens are on welfare or too poor to pay taxes.

Also, Vermont was a republican state until the 1990s.
NCLB sucks. Ask any teacher. They waste hours "teaching to the test" and not actually teaching concepts that kids need to know. Figures a dunce of a President introduced that mess. From the same failure who gave us the Iraq War and tax cuts for millionaires.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Vermont is not NJ...period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey