Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 PM

217 posts, read 1,146,785 times

Advertisements

Im in Hackensack but theres those 2 towns near me that are kind of the same.. but which one would seem like there's more to do and whats more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Im in Hackensack but theres those 2 towns near me that are kind of the same.. but which one would seem like there's more to do and whats more affordable.
RP is way over priced, it floods, is choked with traffic. WAY over-rated on all accounts IMO. But it does have a nice diner, supermarket, and park access. (Have to give some credit).

Maywood is much nicer IMO. Stay north of Passaic Street in the area between West Pleasant Ave. and the Bergen Mall. But stay away from the radioactive site located near RT17 & Central Avenue. The stores and shops on West Pleasant Ave. are nice, I was actually down there this morning for a walk.

They are like twin towns to one another (sort of like Lodi/Garfield, or EP/SB). The should rename Rochelle Avenue/Main Street RT17-ALT.

Does anyone concur or dispute my posting? Comments?

Last edited by Spincycle; 08-02-2008 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 AM

95 posts, read 393,735 times
there's not really much to do in either town, but maywood is nicer to look at .. plus, there is that uptown area on pleasant ave.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
RP is way over priced, it floods, is choked with traffic. WAY over-rated on all accounts IMO. But it does have a nice diner, supermarket, and park access. (Have to give some credit).

Maywood is much nicer IMO. Stay north of Passaic Street in the area between West Pleasant Ave. and the Bergen Mall. But stay away from the radioactive site located near RT17 & Central Avenue. The stores and shops on West Pleasant Ave. are nice, I was actually down there this morning for a walk.

They are like twin towns to one another (sort of like Lodi/Garfield, or EP/SB). The should rename Rochelle Avenue/Main Street RT17-ALT.

Does anyone concur or dispute my posting? Comments?
totally agree with you on this. generally speaking, i prefer maywood over rochelle park but in the big picture, most people look at the two as being on the same level.

are they ever going to clean up that brownfield site off of rt. 17? i thought i heard about some plans to redevelop it a few years back, but nothing materialized.

although neither town is inexpensive due to their location, i do think that, like most of southern bergen county, they're a bit under the radar compared to the "big name" towns in bergen. sure, these towns aren't as nice as the ridgewoods or the saddle rivers, but they're somewhat underappreciated nonetheless. if nj transit ever reinstates passenger rail service on the train tracks passing east-west through maywood and rochelle park, these towns could very well take off.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

although neither town is inexpensive due to their location, i do think that, like most of southern bergen county, they're a bit under the radar compared to the "big name" towns in bergen. sure, these towns aren't as nice as the ridgewoods or the saddle rivers, but they're somewhat underappreciated nonetheless. if nj transit ever reinstates passenger rail service on the train tracks passing east-west through maywood and rochelle park, these towns could very well take off.
I still say these towns are a "sellers market" how much more can they as you say "take off"?

They have been talking about brining back the commuter train for about 25 yrs. and so far zero, nothing. Bringing back the train may be a double-edged sword. It may help alleviate traffic and help the environment. On the other hand by brining affluent NYC transplants into town may tilt the political climate of these towns leftward and push still inflated property values sky high. But imagine being able to walk out of one of those so-called "Luxury Condoes" on Rochelle Avenue down to the train depot for trip to NYC. Those things would be selling for $1/2M each if the train was back. I doubt the locals would want to see this happen.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
I still say these towns are a "sellers market" how much more can they as you say "take off"?

They have been talking about brining back the commuter train for about 25 yrs. and so far zero, nothing. Bringing back the train may be a double-edged sword. It may help alleviate traffic and help the environment. On the other hand by brining affluent NYC transplants into town may tilt the political climate of these towns leftward and push still inflated property values sky high. But imagine being able to walk out of one of those so-called "Luxury Condoes" on Rochelle Avenue down to the train depot for trip to NYC. Those things would be selling for $1/2M each if the train was back. I doubt the locals would want to see this happen.
when i talk about these towns taking off, i'm envisioning the scenario you outlined: the yuppification of these towns. so far that really hasn't happened on any large scale, which is surprising to me given the proximity to nyc, good highway access, decent housing stock, relatively lower prices to many other areas of bergen, etc. but yes, if the train is ever reinstated, these towns will, in all likelihood, become seriously yuppified and much more expensive. and i do think that the train tracks passing through these towns will become an active rail line sooner rather than later.

i'm not going to opine on whether this would be good or bad, as there are probably a lot of pros and cons. all i'm saying is that these towns don't get as much "buzz" as i'd expect. it seems that everyone on this forum and elsewhere focuses on towns like ridgewood, montclair, maplewood, and so forth, but you don't hear as much about maywood or rochelle park. if i didn't grow up nearby, i'd have no idea that they even existed.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Will they become heavily or slightly yuppified?

Look at Hackensack, they have had the train, recently it runs 7 days/week.

The only part of Hackensack I see becoming (more) yuppified is maybe by the hospital and that Irish pub around North Hackensack/Fairmont Ave area.

What's going on (or not going on) in Hackensack could be a predictor for RP/Maywood. Hackensack has more "diveristy" (depending on how one defines diversity) and this is a huge lure for many young, affluent NYC transplants IMO. It amazes me how the supply of young, affluent NYC transplants appears infinite and never ending. Amazing.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM

69 posts, read 313,009 times
Just be careful as someone else stated, because a lot of homes in Rochelle Park are in flood plains. Maywood might be the better bet. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM

217 posts, read 1,146,785 times
yea i would perfer maywood to then.. i know it has those shopping/eating area on pleasent ave... tasted 1 of the best pizza in jersey on that road.
"Marios Pizzeria"..
and Maywood is diverse, rochelle park isnt really. I know a lot of white kids and lots of hispanics and some black people who live in maywood at my school. The demographics dramatically changed in maywood since they last did it. They have a lot more apartments for rent there now.

But yea i do agree with you spincycle... i've been in hackensack all my life and always noticed how much diffrent it is to the rest of bergen.. its like a miniature Brooklyn or Bronx or something with the diversity and high rises. And im practically in the center of it on Central Ave. I love the school and im so glad i get to go to this school instesad of the other schools and there is more to do here then the rest of bergen... Paramus is a close 2nd. (for bergen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey