Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,097,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I have a friend who teaches in Princeton and has had some experiences that I wouldn't have thought of in Princeton. There is a lower income section in Princeton, west of the main drag through campus I think. I've heard good things about West Windsor Plainsboro (WW-P) schools, but have not had kids that attended there.
I am almost positive that all towns need to have a section of low income housing but what cracks me up is that in the wealthy towns, low income housing is still insainely priced. I guess that helps keep the bad out though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Gangs are an emerging but real problem in Princeton schools and in the borough/township in general.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Gangs are an emerging but real problem in Princeton schools and in the borough/township in general.
Is this because of the proximity to Trenton?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Is this because of the proximity to Trenton?
Somewhat. Many gang members in Princeton have moved from/have family connections with gangsters in Trenton. And of course the town is just down the street from Trenton........

Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Somewhat. Many gang members in Princeton have moved from/have family connections with gangsters in Trenton. And of course the town is just down the street from Trenton........

That's to bad. Princeton was always a nice little town

Old 08-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's to bad. Princeton was always a nice little town
Still is, but there is cause to worry......

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
If 700k is your limit, I'd go with Plainsboro or West Windsor. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE ABOUT FRANKLIN - that Money Magazine article is one of the biggest jokes in this forum. Franklin borders New Brunswick and has a lot of bad sections, plus there's major issues with the schools. The schools are improving, but do you want to have your kid there, or in the West Windsor-Plainsboro District, which is one of the best in the state?

Your taxes will be a little higher in West Windsor or Plainsboro, but the quality of life will be better, IMHO.
yep..read this, all though i suppose it can happen any where

Teen needs 200 stitches after attack in Franklin Township - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com

Old 08-04-2008, 02:14 PM

I had briefly considered Franklin because homes there are so much more affordable....then I took a hard look at the schools.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princetonbound View Post
Everyone who responded - thank you! I'm passionately exploring Cranbury online today and we may drive there to visit this weekend!!!!!
I think it's a great idea to spend the day exploring the areas, Cranbury, WW, Plainsboro and Princeton are pretty close to one another and you could do all 4 in a day.
As far as schools go, they are all really good.
Here's my take:

Cranbury- Very tight little community, rather wealthy and the least diverse of all 4. The kids go to elementary school in Cranbury and are bussed to Princeton HS.
The Main Street is mostly residential with a few restaurants (Teddy's Luncheonette being one of my favourites), realtors offices, some small shops and a great old book store.

Princeton- Great downtown with several nice restaurants, upscale retail (Coach, Ann Taylor, Kate Spade etc.), movie theatre lots of pedestrian and vehicle traffic. The traffic in Princeton is not as bad in the summer as all the students from the University are gone. The housing prices are up there as are the property taxes.

Plainsboro- As Sunil's Dad said, the township shares the school district with West Windsor. They have just completed their Town Center, residential and retail mix. It is so new that several of the stores are unoccupied, as yet.
A lot of the farmland has been developed into huge housing developments.
Like West Windsor, the population is extremely diverse. Unlike the other 3 towns, Plainsboro has several large apartment complexes.

West Windsor- Virtually no downtown unless you count the Acme strip mall, which is pretty run down, but the town has great plans for re-vitalization.
The draw to this town is the great schools, the train station and the tight community feel. It is a great place to "come home to" after a day in the City.

If schools are your number one priority, you will not go wrong with any of these towns. They do vary in the "bang for your real estate buck" department though.

Have fun scoping them out

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Random acts of violence are the norm in Franklin. Town's had, what, four murders this year so far? I don't think Cranbury's had four murders in the last four DECADES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey