Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I grew up in Irvington, moved out in 1971. It was such a nice town in the 60's. The last time I drove past my old home on Breckenridge Terr. seems like the detached garage was leaning. I'm sure it is no longer standing, since that was at least 15 years ago. Rather than check and perhaps get shot at, I'll keep my pleasant memories than go back and look at it again.
Google maps? Street View... but sometimes the past is best in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:36 AM

72 posts, read 309,063 times
Quote:
I grew up in Irvington, moved out in 1971. It was such a nice town in the 60's. The last time I drove past my old home on Breckenridge Terr. seems like the detached garage was leaning. I'm sure it is no longer standing, since that was at least 15 years ago. Rather than check and perhaps get shot at, I'll keep my pleasant memories than go back and look at it again.
HawaiiLover - Your post gave me a chill - my parents' first apartment was on Breckenridge Terrace when they moved to the US in 1960. I know people that still go to the Polish church on Grove Street. I was there in 2003 for a funeral and have no desire to go back to the area.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
Irvington used to be a safe haven from Newark afer the riots. I got out of Irvington around 1982, and it was getting bad then. I drive through my old neighborhood once in awhile near Mount Vernon School. Its just sad.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowneyMOM View Post
Raised in Irvington, I was a kid there in the 70's. I remember a sign going up in a neighbor's yard shortly after a black family moved into the neighborhood. Within a week, it was a sea of real estate signs adorning the block from almost every house. Black family was very nice and I became friends with the daughter before we had to move too, about a year or so later. I went back to Irvington some years later, for Dickie Dees Italian hot dogs (Springfield Ave?) and to see if there was anyone that I knew, left in Irvington. Think it was in the mid-late 80's? It was looking different then but certainly not a warzone! I wonder if Dickie Dees is still around?
Dickey Dees is on Bloomfield Ave. in Newark. (B'field and 6th or 5th?) I was there in December and it is EXACTLY the same as when I lived in Newark in the 1965-85's. The good news is they still have the best italian hot dogs I've ever had!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 55,603 times
I left Irvington in 1978-went back a few times to visit friends (who have since moved on). I can't believe what has become of our pretty little town. Going to the Center was always fun-Dairy Queen, Klesses and what was the name of that diner across from the Dairy Queen?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee1967 View Post
HawaiiLover - Your post gave me a chill - my parents' first apartment was on Breckenridge Terrace when they moved to the US in 1960. I know people that still go to the Polish church on Grove Street. I was there in 2003 for a funeral and have no desire to go back to the area.
DeeCee, do you remember what house number they lived at, or if they lived in a four, or, two family house there? I might have known you. I lived at #33.
The Gaffney's owned the largest home at the top of the hill, I believe that was a 6 family building.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldngrl61 View Post
I left Irvington in 1978-went back a few times to visit friends (who have since moved on). I can't believe what has become of our pretty little town. Going to the Center was always fun-Dairy Queen, Klesses and what was the name of that diner across from the Dairy Queen?
Yes, our pretty little town is an ugly big mess now. It's really a pity what has become of it.

I believe the diner was Don's. Did you graduate IHS?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM

72 posts, read 309,063 times
Quote:
DeeCee, do you remember what house number they lived at, or if they lived in a four, or, two family house there? I might have known you. I lived at #33.
The Gaffney's owned the largest home at the top of the hill, I believe that was a 6 family building.
You wouldn't have known me - I didn't make my entrance until 1967, and by then my parents moved to Newark. I know they lived in a 2 family home on Breckenridge, but I don't know the house number. My brother was ten years old in 1960 maybe you knew him.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM

I was 10 also in 1960! Yeah, I'm old!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
I was 10 also in 1960! Yeah, I'm old!
I was but an embryo.... born in 1961 and came out smiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey