Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 29,412 times

Advertisements

About commuting from northern NJ location to NYC, you need to check NJ Transit website and that will give exact idea of bus to NYC frequency and numbers.
Towns/Cities like Weehauken,West New York, Guttenberg,Fairview,Moonachie,Little Ferry are good for commuting to NYC and these places are good to live-in. Commuting time to Port Authority terminal at NYC is not more that 20 minutes.
Also, before taking any decission, you may like to drive-by these places.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,128 times
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM

45 posts, read 126,038 times
i think for people your age and proximity to nyc, hoboken would be your #1 choice. however, you are going to have parking issues. it sounds like you won't be able to get a parking permit, and you probably don't want to pay upwards of 250 a month for garage parking. i would check out weehawken. if you end up in a suburb, see if you can find a place within walking distance of the bus or train. it's true that many north jersey train stations have waiting lists for a parking spot.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Looking to Rent

You mentioned that you are moving in September to northern New Jersey.

Now, August is about to end. Did you see any rental places yet?

Paramus, Moonachie, East Rutherford, Little Ferry, South Hackensack are considered to be good places to rent. You may get 3 BR apt. may be with Garage or parking space. Easy to commute to NYC from these places. Realtors are charging one month rent as a service fee. Let me know if you need any help in searching rental space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennage27 View Post
Hello!

I am moving from Upstate NY to Northern NJ in September. I will be working in Roseland, NJ and my 2 roommates will be working in NYC. I will have a car but the other 2 won't so therefore we need to be close to NYC transportation. Our main dilemma is trying to decide where we are going to live because of commute times. We looked in Jersey City and Union city but the areas were unsafe.

We are 3 girls who just graduated from college and we have been looking at places in Hoboken. However, I have heard that the commute from Hoboken to Roseland (near Orange) is nothing but a hassle and that parking in Hoboken is $$$$.

Is it true that in order o obtain a parking permit in NJ that you must have a NJ drivers license? (I am trying to keep my car registered in NY for now due to the price of insurance in NJ)

Also, I have heard that parking at train stations in Northern NJ have up to a year wait, is this true? Because my roommates could have cars if needed, that way I could have a close commute to Roseland but they would have to park at a train station and then take the train into NYC.

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom between $1500-$3000 a month in a SAFE area with the commute to NYC and Roseland in mind.

Any information you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Jen

Old 08-23-2008, 01:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Did you consider trying to find an apartment within walking distance of a train station? If your roommates aren't going to have cars you'll want to live in a town that has some basic conveniences so they don't have to be completely reliant on you for getting around.

Also, for the most part, the train stations have permit parking and metered parking. The metered parking usually fills up quickly. If you live in a place like Hoboken or downtown JC their is an easy way around it . . . on your first day of work drive to work. On your way home park your car at the station nearest Roseland and take the train home. In the morning do the same thing in reverse. You'll never have to worry about finding a space and you'll never have to pay for parking as most meters are only payable 9-5.

I had a friend who lived in Center City Philadelphia, who had his car registered in NC, and worked in Cherry Hill, NJ. He kept his car parked at a train station in NJ and would pick it up every morning for his last 3 miles to work.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 AM

I am a licensed Real Estate Professional. If anyone need any assistance in searching Home or Rental space in northern New Jersey, please let me know with details of your requirement and contact information.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM

12 posts, read 59,220 times
Default Girls move here!!

For 3 girls, being super close is a must to go out in the city, but still safe, try EDGEWATER, NJ. It is almost touching Manhattan and booming with luxury high rises, shopping, they have a nice library and a big Whole Foods Market, clean, plus doorstop bus service and ferries.

If worse comes to worse and everyone gets drunk, misses the midnight ferry and can't find a bus, taking a NYC cab through the Lincoln Tunnel at 4am won't bankrupt you because it is right there. I would live on River Road.

With the car, explore the NJ side, it really is nice, you just went into the worst areas. Stay north of Edgewater/Fort Lee like Paramus, Englewood, and Rockland County. Avoid all areas south of Edgewater except along River Road to Weehawken, because it is total ghettos man, all the way past Newark.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
This thread is a year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey