Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 12,125 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am moving from Upstate NY to Northern NJ in September. I will be working in Roseland, NJ and my 2 roommates will be working in NYC. I will have a car but the other 2 won't so therefore we need to be close to NYC transportation. Our main dilemma is trying to decide where we are going to live because of commute times. We looked in Jersey City and Union city but the areas were unsafe.

We are 3 girls who just graduated from college and we have been looking at places in Hoboken. However, I have heard that the commute from Hoboken to Roseland (near Orange) is nothing but a hassle and that parking in Hoboken is $$$$.

Is it true that in order o obtain a parking permit in NJ that you must have a NJ drivers license? (I am trying to keep my car registered in NY for now due to the price of insurance in NJ)

Also, I have heard that parking at train stations in Northern NJ have up to a year wait, is this true? Because my roommates could have cars if needed, that way I could have a close commute to Roseland but they would have to park at a train station and then take the train into NYC.

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom between $1500-$3000 a month in a SAFE area with the commute to NYC and Roseland in mind.

Any information you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Jen

Last edited by Jennage27; 08-04-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Suggest you look in Morristown, there is a train station there and it will be much cheaper than Hoboken. It's probably good middle ground for people coming from out of the area. Save Hoboken for later, get acclimated first. NYC is maybe 40 minutes and Roseland is perhaps 20 minutes. Plus there's a singles crowd there. Your friends will need access to a car though.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,522 times
Probably Morristown. You can check out neigboring Madison as well but probably less action going on.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
you may want to check for rental apartments in springfield and short hills

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Also, Does anyone know what it takes to get a parking permit in Hoboken (or other areas of NJ for that matter)? I have heard that you must have a NJ drivers license.

And is there ample parking at train stations outside of Hoboken, such as in Morristown?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM

34 posts, read 170,869 times
Default I suggest the Village of South Orange

The Village of South Orange is very safe and great for young people. There are many shops, Blockbuster, Cold Stone, Caravel, a dance studio a cornucopia of culturally restaurants (Indian, American, Chinese, Soul Food, Japanese etc.) parks, a movie theater, art gallery, Starbucks, Duncan Donuts, banks, a diner, a farmer's market, supermarket, CVS and Seton Hall University all with in walking distance, which allows you to meet people your age. It is very culturally diverse. Another plus about South Orange NJ is the train station. It goes into the city and there is a bus that can take you to Penn Station in downtown Newark. There are two malls Short Hills (high end) and Livingston Mall with in 15mins of the Village of South Orange. Many of the residents in South Orange work in the city and ride the train to work.

Because you will be working in Roseland your commute will be about 10 to 15 mins by car because you can take 280 west to Roseland. I used to work there and lived on the border of Newark and South Orange. Orange is nice too, but it really depends on where in Orange you decide to live. Morristown is nice but pricey and I do not know about the parking permit situation there. I am not to sure about the South Orange parking permit situation but, many of the buildings and homes have onsite parking.

I hope this helps and Good Luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks so much I will definitely look into South Orange!

Do you know about how long the train ride from South Orange is to NYC?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM

111 posts, read 416,754 times
As far as parking at train stations in NJ, every station different so it really depends on the town.

I used to live in hoboken, and I do believe you need to be a NJ resident to get a parking permit. I know you need to show proof of residency to get a permit such as your lease or a bill indicating that you live there, but I don't know for sure if you need a NJ license. I think things may have changed since I left town a few years ago.

You can probably find that info on the hoboken website. I'm sure they have a whole section on parking since it's such a big issue in hoboken. You could always pay for a private parking spot if you can't get a regular hoboken parking permit with a NY license. It's not going to be cheap though.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM

34 posts, read 170,869 times
Default NJ Transit Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennage27 View Post
Thanks so much I will definitely look into South Orange!

Do you know about how long the train ride from South Orange is to NYC?

According to the NJ transit schedule it will vary depending on the time of day. Below is the link.
New Jersey Transit

Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Check out Whippany, Cedar Knolls (Hanover Township). You can get a bus to NYC easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey