Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,077 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Montclair, NJ and flying out of JFK on a Sunday morning at 8 am. Apparently, there's no train service on weekends?
Aside from Olympic Shuttle ($172!) is there any other way? It looks like I can take the subway/air train from Penn Station. But how to get to Penn Station?
Oh yeah, I need to be at the airport by 6:30.
Any tips? I'm a student on a budget. THanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 AM

34 posts, read 170,803 times
Default The Bus to Penn Station Newark then the train to NYC

You may have to catch the bus from Montclair State U. or Bloomfield Ave (depending on which is closer to you.) to downtown Newark and take train into the city. I' m not sure what is the bus #. You will have to Google NJ transit. Worse case you may have to spend the night before your flight at the airport

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM

217 posts, read 1,146,925 times
i know the uhh DeCamp buses take u to port authority...
google it

Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Ok here's your only transit option. You'll have to leave the night before, because transit services from Montclair do not begin operating early enough on Sunday mornings to get you to the airport by 6:30. It's not a fun trip, but here ya go...

Catch the NYC-bound DeCamp 33 bus out of Montclair at 12:00 AM. You will arrive at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) at about 12:35.
At PABT, go downstairs and catch the Queens-bound E subway. Get off at Sutphin Blvd. You'll get there at around 1:45 AM. Walk upstairs and enter the JFK Air Train station. Take the Air Train to your terminal. You'll arrive at about 2:10 AM. Check in, go through security, and find your gate. Sleep until your flight boards.

The total fare will be $12.95 (unless DeCamp has raised its fare in the past year).

Some alternatives you might want to consider are:
(1) If you have a friend who lives in the city, crash at his/her place for the night and leave for the airport in the morning.
(2) If you have a car, or someone who can give you a ride, go to the PATH station in Newark or Harrison. Take PATH to World Trade Center, walk to the A subway at Chambers Street, take the A subway to Howard Beach and switch to AirTrain there. The advantage is that the PATH, subway, and AirTrain all operate 24 hours a day, so you can sleep in Montclair Saturday night and begin your trip around 4 AM Sunday.
(3) Suck it up and pay for a cab/limo service.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times
you can also consider the bus from port authority to jfk, but confirm the bus timings

The Most Departures To Manhattan - New York Airport Service : Port authority --> JFK

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Ok here's your only transit option. You'll have to leave the night before, because transit services from Montclair do not begin operating early enough on Sunday mornings to get you to the airport by 6:30. It's not a fun trip, but here ya go...

Catch the NYC-bound DeCamp 33 bus out of Montclair at 12:00 AM. You will arrive at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) at about 12:35.
At PABT, go downstairs and catch the Queens-bound E subway. Get off at Sutphin Blvd. You'll get there at around 1:45 AM. Walk upstairs and enter the JFK Air Train station. Take the Air Train to your terminal. You'll arrive at about 2:10 AM. Check in, go through security, and find your gate. Sleep until your flight boards.

The total fare will be $12.95 (unless DeCamp has raised its fare in the past year).

Some alternatives you might want to consider are:
(1) If you have a friend who lives in the city, crash at his/her place for the night and leave for the airport in the morning.
(2) If you have a car, or someone who can give you a ride, go to the PATH station in Newark or Harrison. Take PATH to World Trade Center, walk to the A subway at Chambers Street, take the A subway to Howard Beach and switch to AirTrain there. The advantage is that the PATH, subway, and AirTrain all operate 24 hours a day, so you can sleep in Montclair Saturday night and begin your trip around 4 AM Sunday.
(3) Suck it up and pay for a cab/limo service.
lammius is right on all counts. personally, if i were you i'd go with alternative 1 if at all possible, which means crashing in the city and then hopping on the subway to the airtrain, since both run 24/7. if you don't know anyone in the city, then i'd go with alternative 2 over the decamp bus option, since the path runs 24/7 and you can sleep in at your friend's place in montclair rather than at the airport, as lammius already stated. just remember that the trains only run once every 20-30 minutes or so during those super late night hours, so you need to factor that into your travel plans.

the path station is about a 20 minute drive from montclair, depending from where in town you'll be leaving.

on that note, i assume your friend has a car to take you to the PATH station, since almost everyone in jersey has a car. can't he or she just drive you all the way to jfk? i know it's a pain in the neck for your friend, but really, getting a ride is by far the most preferable option, esp. since there should be absolutely no traffic to the airport at that time of night. seriously, you could leave montclair around 5:40am or so and get to jfk by 6:30am without a problem.

every time a friend comes into town to visit, i always end up driving them to the airport. and you know what? i don't really mind, because i'd feel guilty about dumping them off on a bus or train at 4 morning. plus, a car will get you there so much more quickly and comfortably than mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey