Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 42,301 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to bloomfield in 2 weeks. I wanted to ask people that live there how safe the area is. I am going to live at newark avenue and will be going to college in caldwell. The only thing that concerns me is what the crime rates are and whether I sould feel safe there. How is the area in the neighborhood?
I tried to find a place to rent closer to caldwell but couldn't

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
I'd say Bloomfield is decent...the parts I've seen, at least. Used to know a guy from there, too, who insisted I move there. You could have found closer to Caldwell - but it would have probably been more pricey.

I'll let other people chime in that know the town better.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM

48 posts, read 161,807 times
Bloomfield is a nice town. You will love it.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:53 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
The Newark Avenue area of Bloomfield can be somewhat questionable. The Brookdale section is still quite nice. The "South End" which is where you will be living, is by no means a war zone, but just be careful. Lock your vehicle and doors always. Be aware of your surroundings. I lived in that area for 27 years, left 12 years ago when things started going down hill.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:43 AM

874 posts, read 3,678,727 times
I just moved from Bloomfield, Brookdale area..and I absolutely loved it. Wish I could move back..

Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The Newark Avenue area of Bloomfield can be somewhat questionable. The Brookdale section is still quite nice. The "South End" which is where you will be living, is by no means a war zone, but just be careful. Lock your vehicle and doors always. Be aware of your surroundings. I lived in that area for 27 years, left 12 years ago when things started going down hill.
Agree. not the best area, not the worst. Trish, where in Brookdale were you?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 42,301 times
thanks for the opinions
I just wasn't sure because I've never lived in the new york area and have heard about dangerous places there and wanted to be sure the place is safe enough.
Now I live in boston and here is very safe....moving down this week..

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
I just bought a house not too far from newark ave. it's not a bad area at all of course - we dont live on little house on the prarie either so no matter where you live or what area your at you should watch you souroundings and lock you car door it the smart thing to do. but as for dangerous no it is not. I walk my dog alone at night all the time (when i say dog i dont mean a pit bull its a tiny little thing) and never once have i been afraid or threatened in anyway.. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 53,847 times
Bloomfield is ok, it has really gone down in the past 5-10 years.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasil_t_t View Post
thanks for the opinions
I just wasn't sure because I've never lived in the new york area and have heard about dangerous places there and wanted to be sure the place is safe enough.
Now I live in boston and here is very safe....moving down this week..
Um, Bloomfield is safer than Boston, my friend.

These generalizations are golden...in fact, Boston is not that safe of a city. NYC is far safer than Boston, and for sure, Bloomfield NJ is safer than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey