U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,104 times

Advertisements

WE are trying to buy a hose in piscataway nj but first we would like to know about the neiborhood and schools in the area. any information would be very much helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 06:02 AM

604 posts, read 2,754,994 times
Here is a short list of neighborhoods in Piscataway rated from best to worst. (my rating because I lived in Piscataway for many years)
1 River road area (close to Rutgers)
2 lake Nelson area
3 Bound Brook Heights area
4 New Market area
5 Arbor area (too close to Plainfield)

Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 93,282 times
odaza,
My family and I currently live in Piscataway (River rd. section) and are planning to move soon. Although I'm sure the entire town isn't this way, we wound up in a neighborhood where there is zero community activity/interaction. We've been here 3 years and met one neighbor. One! And we're always outside and going for walks-there's just never anyone around. And now that we have a daughter we want a more neighborly, friendly community. So we're leaving. But the schools are supposed to be great, which was one of the reasons we moved here. We just can't stand the isolation.
Good luck with your move!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 34,484 times
did you move to piscataway? My family and I are moving there in June 2008 and are asking the same questions about schools, neighborhoods etc as we have a 6,3.5 and 1 yr old.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,099,492 times
Most good parts of Piscataway are pretty laid back communities -- I remember back when I was at Rutgers we used to drive through sections of River Rd and it was very quiet with nothing going on.

I guess it all depends on the individual - if you want a laid back community where you only see your neighbor's twice a year then the River Rd section is your best bet else look into Highland Park, Edison, Metuchen or some other parts of Brunswick(North, East, South)

==============

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseamorning15 View Post
odaza,
My family and I currently live in Piscataway (River rd. section) and are planning to move soon. Although I'm sure the entire town isn't this way, we wound up in a neighborhood where there is zero community activity/interaction. We've been here 3 years and met one neighbor. One! And we're always outside and going for walks-there's just never anyone around. And now that we have a daughter we want a more neighborly, friendly community. So we're leaving. But the schools are supposed to be great, which was one of the reasons we moved here. We just can't stand the isolation.
Good luck with your move!

Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 AM

119 posts, read 207,143 times
I found one of the best window to understand Piscataway is thru this Craigslist search on Piscataway (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link). For example, it tells that 3 and 4 years kid now has full day pre school, and Piscataway got a great Golf Course called Raritan Landing. I even got to know many condo/townhouses complex and the activities there...

Some of my clients told me that they met friends at parks, and there are 26 parks where their kids play with other kids in the neighbors.

Some told me they enjoy the Foodball games at Piscataway High School, and other school concerts.

And one message (broken link) says there is going to be huge activitiy at Piscataway High School 2pm Sat 10-20-07 as you can see (broken link)...

... Events Facilities Dedication at newly renovated (broken link) Piscataway High School, 100 Behmer Rd, Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 2 pm. The event will include student performances and tours of the new 60,000 square foot connecting wing. See the new high school science labs, vocal and instructional music rooms, cafe', fine arts studios and video of improvements at our nine other schools. more...

Old 10-20-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odaza View Post
WE are trying to buy a hose in piscataway nj but first we would like to know about the neiborhood and schools in the area. any information would be very much helpful.
Again, I would highly recommend that you click thru this Craigslist on Piscataway (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) and you may get 99% of your questions answered, if not 100%.

Many realtors, after seeing this, even admit there are too many good things about Piscataway they never knew...

Basically, there are one high school (Piscataway High School), three middle school 6 to 8, three 4 to 5 schools and three K to 3 Elementary School.

Eventually all students go to Piscataway High School, and TOP students living at Bound Brook Section where one can walk to Bound Brook Train Station. #3 student living at Canterbury, and #4 living at Brewster Ave, same as #10 and a Princeton Univ and Cornell Univ student who graduated from Piscataway High. Several top ten students also living at Nob Hill house and Society Hill condo/townhouse area. There is one Harvard Univ alumni whose brother also top 10 living at Royal Garden and Hidden Woods Townhouse area; this student just won #1 on NJ FBLA Business Plan 2007 and went to Chicago and won over 40 states and step into final and then got the plaque back for NJ. Piscataway High School has 10 students won #1 on NJ FBLA business competitions 2007 of their activities such as Economics, Business Computing ...etc. 10 students went to Chicago.

Last edited by ching1698; 10-20-2007 at 04:36 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 17,740 times
Question re:

ok ching, u seem to be very familiar with piscataway, so maybe u can answer my question...

I have heard that the birch glen, maple grove, maple woods, canterbury townhomes/condos experience lot of noise from honking on NJ transit trains/train crossings in the area? Is that true?

Want to hear from exisiting homeowners as looking to move into the area?

thanks in advance

Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM

I went to an open house at Maple Woods the other day, and the owner told me there is going to be a new NJ Transit Train station between Dunellen and Bound Brook, right within walking distance of the community. So, if that's the case, I am sure you are right.

On the other hand, commuter rail normally has train during day time when people are away from home. And, when you have walking distance to a train station, you got convenience but also got some noise. It is always a trade off.

Disclaimer: I went to Google to see the map in the area and also visit the area and see there are vacant land seemed to be perfect for a new train station, and Transit Village policy after 911 seemed to coinside with the development; however, one should not take that into account till NJ Transit or more acredit media announce it. That land seem to belong to Middlesex, not Piscataway, but when I search Middlesex Train Station, I got something in other state. When I search for Piscataway Train Station, I did not get anything convince me yet.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM

17 posts, read 75,676 times
To the OP, Piscataway is a good town that has good schools and has good access to shopping and highways. The area near Rutgers, south of I-287 is better then the area north of 287, closer to Dunellen and Plainfield. All of the kids in Piscataway will end up in the same high school though, no matter what part of town they live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey