Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 9,251 times

Advertisements

After a long summer of rain in Ireland myself and around 5 of my friends have decided we want to spend next summer on the Jersey Shore. We're all girls ages 20 or 21 and all from Ireland. Ideally we'd be looking for a (cheap!) season rental near the beach. I have family in Manasquan so we were thinking Pt Pleasant would be a good spot for us but then some one advised us to go to Wildwood. Could any one give me some pros or cons for the two? What about Belmar? I've spent a couple weeks every summer of my life at the Jersey shore but it's always been with family so this will be a completely new experience for me and to be honest I'm kind of clueless!

Where do you think we should be looking for jobs? Jenkinsons? Is it too early to start looking for next summer? Would we have much bother finding a job if we turned up in the beginning of June with nothing organised? We all have waitressing or bar experience.

One last question could someone point me in the direction of a good website for house rentals?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! I apologise if loads of these questions have been asked before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM

111 posts, read 416,529 times
I would suggest you look for something in manasquan, sea girt or spring lake. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in those areas where you could work. You could also live in manasquan or sea girt and then work at jenkinsons in pt pleasant.

Pt pleasant and wildwood both have boardwalks and have a lot going on in the summer. Lots of people, lots of traffic, etc. If that's what you're looking for then you may want to look there.

If you want to go a little more low key, then you'd be better off in manasquan or sea girt. Both are very nice towns, but a little less congested in the summer.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Just be aware that house rentals on the Jersey shore for the summer are $$$$$

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,251 times
We won't have a car for the summer so we're thinking we'll be relying on bikes mostly. Would it take long to cycle from say Spring Lake to Pt Pleasant? Also I would have thought that rent would be more expensive in Sea Girt and Spring Lake than Pt Pleasant because if my memory serves me correctly they are far more upscale - am I mistaken? Is there much in the way of nightlife in Spring Lake/Manasquan/Pt Pleasant?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowfloors View Post
We won't have a car for the summer so we're thinking we'll be relying on bikes mostly. Would it take long to cycle from say Spring Lake to Pt Pleasant? Also I would have thought that rent would be more expensive in Sea Girt and Spring Lake than Pt Pleasant because if my memory serves me correctly they are far more upscale - am I mistaken? Is there much in the way of nightlife in Spring Lake/Manasquan/Pt Pleasant?
Biking from Spring lake to Pt Pleasant is a hike for sure
Rentals are expensive the entire Jersey Shore during the summer because many people vacation there

http://www.jerseycoastrentals.com/

Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM

53 posts, read 120,293 times
I live in Spring LAke and if you got family in Manasquan I would suggest trying to get a place in Wall, or the Belmar area. There are even a few nice rental houses for the summer in Spring Lake, Manasquan, Sea Girt, Spring Lake Heights, and Brielle. Alot of the rentals in that area are a bit high but if you got about 4 people it isn't to bad and it's worth the extra money since you don't have to deal with the New Yorkers that come down. The night life in the area is decent, I would say Manasquan, Sea Girt, Brielle, and Spring Lake are more for adults and have high end bars which serve food. If you are looking for partying places check out Belmar and Neptune they have more Bars for 20 year olds and stuff like Bar A, DJs, The Boathouse, The Headliner and more.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,866 times
I rent in Lake Como (which is basically Belmar) this summer and I LOVE it!!

Our house is girls ages 24 to 26. You better make sure everyone in your house is 21. There is NO PLACE for people who are 18 to 20 to hang out at in terms of bars. They would be really bored and excluded from the rest of the group.

We walk to Boathouse (really good food!!), Bar A (fun, shot wheel, bands) and DJAIS (fun theme nites on thursday...good club music) all the time. You can take a very cheap cab to Headliner (but I personally hate this place so I don't). We go to the beach during the day we have unlimited passes for the summer $60. You can also take a cab to Point Pleasant ($8 a person) and go to Tiki Bar or JENKS. Anything south of PP cab rides start to become too costly.

We booked our house in Feb. Many people who rent for the summer book sometime between Jan and March to make sure there is a selection. If you are going to consider Belmar, I would look early. And also look at least 3 blocks in from the beach. Make sure you get a nice place and not something that used to be an Animal Hous or something. There are tons of good places you just have to look early.

As far as working there, it doesn't really effect us personally because we all have office or teaching jobs in mainland NJ...but there are plenty of waitressing and bartending positions. I would call some of these popular places and ask what month they accept applications for summer help. My GUESS would be they would start thinking about it in March or so, but you never know.

Also, be realstic. How many people are you putting in this house? Our house was $15,000 for the summer (we saw nothing for less than this when we were looking and we definately saw some places that were more). We have 8 people living there and we all have salaried jobs. And even with the division of the 2 payments and the utlilities, it's never cheap. We made all the payments for the rent back in March...but I spend tons of cash each weekend on food, cabs, drinks etc--I definately feel like I have cut back on shopping and some other things to afford this. Don't get me wrong I am not discouraging you...I LOVE the Jersey shore and it's worth every penny to me personally, but just make sure you know what you are getting into before you do it.

Get the right group together for sure...people who will not try to pull one over when the cable or electric comes in---you usually need to pay that at least 3 times for a full summer rental.

You can definately PM me if you have any more questions about Belmar. I am also knowledgeable about PP, Ortley Beach and Seaside Heights from my adventures other summers.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,369,890 times
Girls ages 20,21 - Yeah - Most probably looking to hook up..Best bet would be point pleasant, seaside heights or wild wood. Just google rentals for all 3 places. Im guessing wild wood would be cheapest as it is further south. Since you have no car, then renting in that town would be best. Nobody wants to wait for a cab late at night and bike, etc.. Good Luck..Oh those were the days...

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
If you girls will be 21, then I would suggest staying in these towns and these towns only:

-Point Pleasant
-Manasquan
-Belmar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey