U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,929 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I am new to this community....found it to be quite informative....
I moved in June this year to NJ and am staying in Maple Shade. I used to stay in TX earlier. My electric bills for the past two months has given me the shock of my life....I used to pay max of $60 in TX per month....but for June I got my electricity bill of $220(excluding gas charges) and July it was $330 (excluding gas charges). I stay in a 2 BR apartment. After a couple of complaints my apartment folks about the AC unable to cool the room to below 79 degrees at any time of the day, they put a new AC in our unit but the SEER(Energy Efficiency Rating) is 10.90 which is the least rating available ( The best is 20.50). I wrote a mail to PSE&G but they redirected me to the local township. I sent a mail to the Burlington townshhip but have still not got a response regarding my below two questions...

1. Is this kind of a bill common in NJ for a 2 BR apartment ?
2. Is the apartment management liable to provide me an AC with higher SEER ? A poor SEER means the tenant has to bear the brunt of a poorly functioning AC

I cannot afford to pay such a high bill...Its too expensive for me. Any sort of information would really be appreciated....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM

7,577 posts, read 20,910,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleShadeResident View Post
I moved in June this year to NJ and am staying in Maple Shade. I used to stay in TX earlier. My electric bills for the past two months has given me the shock of my life....I used to pay max of $60 in TX per month....but for June I got my electricity bill of $220(excluding gas charges) and July it was $330 (excluding gas charges). I stay in a 2 BR apartment. After a couple of complaints my apartment folks about the AC unable to cool the room to below 79 degrees at any time of the day, they put a new AC in our unit but the SEER(Energy Efficiency Rating) is 10.90 which is the least rating available ( The best is 20.50). I wrote a mail to PSE&G but they redirected me to the local township. I sent a mail to the Burlington townshhip but have still not got a response regarding my below two questions...

2. Is the apartment management liable to provide me an AC with higher SEER ? A poor SEER means the tenant has to bear the brunt of a poorly functioning AC

I cannot afford to pay such a high bill...Its too expensive for me. Any sort of information would really be appreciated....
It is normal for this time of year and no the management co. is not obligated to get you a better seer unit. One thing..it's a temporary hike JCP&L and others are legally allowed to charge us in the summer time..your bill will go down after this month. Welcome to New Jersey!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM

433 posts, read 875,929 times
Quote:

Dear MapleShadeResident, While I can't answer your specific questions, I can suggest that you look into Allison Apts in Marlton. They are managed by Davis Enterprises. I've lived at Allison for four years, and I've never had an electric bill over $120. ($120 being the highest, and that's during the hottest summer months -- and let me tell you I run my A/C high -- like 65-70 in the summer.) Gas, heat, hot water, water, and trash removal is included in the rent. It might be worth looking into when your lease is up. BTW, I have 1,000 sq ft. My electric bill averages $60 per month.

I don't think that kind of bill is common in South Jersey, as far as I know, but I could be wrong.
I've heard North Jersey residents complain of high bills like yours, though.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 AM

Hi Wiley and 50something...thanks a lot for your responses...I did a little bit more research on this. I had mentioned earlier that my apartment folks replaced my AC with a "new" one. Now I would have to define new over here. As per the US Federal law, after 2005, no manufacturer is supposed to manufacture a centralized AC unit which is below the SEER of 13. This means that the "new" AC provided in my unit is actually a new one in an old stock. I still have not got a response from the Burlington municipal office. If possible I would prefer to go to their office and speak to someone but I cant figure who is the right person to speak to and where this office is. At a time where oil prices are surging I guess the apartment folks should be responsible for saving energy especially when they have thousands of units with this poor SEER rating. I guess we as individuals also have a moral obligation to help save energy and play our small part in it. So any information w.r.t the contacts in the municipal office would really help. Let me at least give it a shot and see what the municipal office would respond.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM

5,441 posts, read 15,374,369 times
I do not think this is normal. I keep it at 72 all day long - we don't even have insulation in our house and our bill is 150 a month. Our bill was about the same in our apartment though, we suspected our neighbors were on some of our electric lines, and knew for a fact that some of the other tenants' electrical circuits were in on light sockets in our apartment.

I am not sure how inefficient SEER10 really is compared to SEER13. I doubt that it would make such a huge difference ...You said it's central air? Do you cook with electric? How many KW/H are you using a month?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,935,035 times
Quote:
Hi Wiley and 50something...thanks a lot for your responses...I did a little bit more research on this. I had mentioned earlier that my apartment folks replaced my AC with a "new" one. Now I would have to define new over here. As per the US Federal law, after 2005, no manufacturer is supposed to manufacture a centralized AC unit which is below the SEER of 13. This means that the "new" AC provided in my unit is actually a new one in an old stock. I still have not got a response from the Burlington municipal office. If possible I would prefer to go to their office and speak to someone but I cant figure who is the right person to speak to and where this office is. At a time where oil prices are surging I guess the apartment folks should be responsible for saving energy especially when they have thousands of units with this poor SEER rating. I guess we as individuals also have a moral obligation to help save energy and play our small part in it. So any information w.r.t the contacts in the municipal office would really help. Let me at least give it a shot and see what the municipal office would respond.
I would get out of any apt in Maple Shade, there's usually a fire in one of those developments, especially one on 73 north.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM

792 posts, read 2,888,722 times
Part of the issue could be the thermostat (and old and/or faulty thermostat).

I once had a 1br apt. (condo convert) with very old, electric 'base board heaters' (208/220VAC). The first winter in this unit they would run "ON" all the time - one mo. electric bill was $330 and this was in 1999! The old crappy thermostats would not regulate anymore (i.e. trip off automatically). The apt. used to "roast" like an oven! Changed the thermostats with four (4) new ones from Home Depot (also cal'd them with an IR gun and wired in LED lights to show "ON" status). My winter electric bills plunged the following winter. Landlord reimbursed for the new thermostats but not the excess electric usage incurred one year earlier.

Because of the demand vs. supply of units in NJ (plus complacent tenants too) landlords/brokers/property management companies can (and do) get away with all kinds of nonsense. Welcome to New Jersey, "It is What It Is".

Last edited by Spincycle; 08-22-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I do not think this is normal. I keep it at 72 all day long - we don't even have insulation in our house and our bill is 150 a month. Our bill was about the same in our apartment though, we suspected our neighbors were on some of our electric lines, and knew for a fact that some of the other tenants' electrical circuits were in on light sockets in our apartment.

I am not sure how inefficient SEER10 really is compared to SEER13. I doubt that it would make such a huge difference ...You said it's central air? Do you cook with electric? How many KW/H are you using a month?
Hi joe....there is a big difference...I researched further on this and was able to understand that you can save energy upto 17% just from 10 - 12

But more than that...its the comfort.....Its very uncomfortable to live at a temperature of 79 degrees ... My units were 1780 for the month of July ....i.e. almost 60 KWh per day....

Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
I would get out of any apt in Maple Shade, there's usually a fire in one of those developments, especially one on 73 north.
MoorestownResident..... Luckily I just took a 6 month lease....planning to move from here at the earliest....The management folks were so friendly when I had come to lease the apartment and now they dont bother to even help me out....when I call management they say to contact maintenance and when I contact maintenance they say to contact management...

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM

5,441 posts, read 15,374,369 times
That is a lot of energy. Something is really weird. Did you say this is a central unit or is it a wall unit? How big is your 2 br (sq ft?). How old (is the complex or building).

When you say central I am not sure if you mean Wall type unit or central that most of us think of like with the compressor outside and an air handler (blower) inside. If it is central, have you checked the filter recently?

1800 kw/h is exactly 3x what we use in a month in the summer, and we have dishwasher, washer, dryer (something you may or may not have- I don't know) - obviously impossible to really compare but this is an old 2 BR house, no insulation, etc.

17% isn't THAT much. I am really curious about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or