Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM

234 posts, read 536,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
The only reason the Portuguese (who are Spanish-speaking European) have the opportunity to buy in is because a lot of the American Caucasian residents have left ... and this has been going on for quite some time now. I'm not saying Union's a bad town, but it's a changing town. It is much more diverse than even, say, five years ago, and the middle schools and high school are in decline. To put it simply: It's not as nice a town as it was 5 or 10 years ago.
Well, hopefully, with the "redevelopment" aka Gentrification... maybe it will be BETTER than it was 5 years ago.

Hopefully - if nothing goes to hell in a hand-basket before closing, we can get involved in our community and get our neighbors involved and make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Wow ... you found Cranford to be snooty. Well, that's a first. Most people say it's one of the nicest, friendliest towns in the state. I live next door and I kind of wish I had moved there instead. Oh well, to each his own.
I guess you have take it with a grain of salt... I moved here from Chicago (Wrigleyville, Gold Coast and Lincoln Park), where people do have loads of money but are very down to earth people.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM

These are the pix that I took at the open house...
partypooper : photos : House- powered by SmugMug

Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM

148 posts, read 638,809 times
Quote:
Linden? Have you been to Linden lately?? It's quickly becoming a slum. When you see kids from Sunnyside (easily Linden's best section) catching the bus to private school, that should tell you something right there.
I live in linden. My grandmother stills lives in the home that i lived in during the end of my teens when i attended the high school for 11 and 12th grade (we lived on summit/not in the sunny side section but like a 5 min or less walk to the high school). im 24 so it wasnt that long ago. Her section still looks fine to me and the sunnyside is still ok...there is a park not to far from where my gma lives where lots of young polish women bring their kids and are pretty friendly. I dont mind linden, i dont LOVE it but def dont think its a slum...Its not where i would want to settle down, mostly b/c i dont get a sense of community from linden if that makes sense

Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM

131 posts, read 603,966 times
What you said about Union about 5-10 years ago i think town was going worse before the housing boom. When prices started going up with taxes of course a lot of people that were making it worse moved out and new and better people bought houses and started getting better. I know that for a fact because i own a 2 family house right on Maplewood border and that part of town was getting worse but after the housing boom new people started buying and started fixing everything up and i say its better now then it was 7 years ago. Look at the Stuyvesand Village now Mill Run apartments. When i used to live there back in 1993 i was afraid to leave the building, car thefts it was bad. Look at it now, very nice safe and quiet place to live and a lot of people from NY are moving in there. So i dont think that it only goes from better to worse but it can go opposite that thats what happened to those sections of Union.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,351,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcats70 View Post
These are the pix that I took at the open house...
partypooper : photos : House- powered by SmugMug
It's beautiful. Congratulations and God bless!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
It's beautiful. Congratulations and God bless!
Thanks Tanned Cookies

Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM

526 posts, read 2,065,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
I live in linden. My grandmother stills lives in the home that i lived in during the end of my teens when i attended the high school for 11 and 12th grade (we lived on summit/not in the sunny side section but like a 5 min or less walk to the high school). im 24 so it wasnt that long ago. Her section still looks fine to me and the sunnyside is still ok...there is a park not to far from where my gma lives where lots of young polish women bring their kids and are pretty friendly. I dont mind linden, i dont LOVE it but def dont think its a slum...Its not where i would want to settle down, mostly b/c i dont get a sense of community from linden if that makes sense
Then you must not be venturing outside of Sunnyside much. Polish people are moving out by the droves, and illegal aliens are moving in. Bayway is all illegal aliens now, Crack Alley (St. George border of Roselle) is bad as it ever was, and even Wood Ave.’s got 99 cent stores now. C’mon, open your eyes. Linden’s going downhill quick.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Oy - thread hijackers... :P

Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

526 posts, read 2,065,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi View Post
What you said about Union about 5-10 years ago i think town was going worse before the housing boom. When prices started going up with taxes of course a lot of people that were making it worse moved out and new and better people bought houses and started getting better. I know that for a fact because i own a 2 family house right on Maplewood border and that part of town was getting worse but after the housing boom new people started buying and started fixing everything up and i say its better now then it was 7 years ago. Look at the Stuyvesand Village now Mill Run apartments. When i used to live there back in 1993 i was afraid to leave the building, car thefts it was bad. Look at it now, very nice safe and quiet place to live and a lot of people from NY are moving in there. So i dont think that it only goes from better to worse but it can go opposite that thats what happened to those sections of Union.
We'll agree to disagree. No one I know thinks Union's a better place now than it was in the 1990's. The school district certainly isn't better. But it's still a nice town. I'm not disputing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey