Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Where's the statistical information to confirm that? And I thought Jersey City was nicknamed the sixth borough, not all of North Jersey
It is common knowledge.

Where do most Jerseyans come from: IOWA, minnesota, nebraska, st louis, Salt lake city? Come on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
It is common knowledge.

Where do most Jerseyans come from: IOWA, minnesota, nebraska, st louis, Salt lake city? Come on now.
I don't know...how about JERSEY itself. Everybody isn't born in NYC to immigrate across the Hudson. Anyone can argue that a lot of northern NJ'yans are former NY'ers, but to say that most are former NY'ers is more than a stretch.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
Considering many immigrants came into Hoboken, I think many Jerseyans were born and bred here. My family being from NJ, not NY. That's not to say a lot of people here didn't land in NY first, but most? I don't think so.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Considering many immigrants came into Hoboken, I think many Jerseyans were born and bred here. My family being from NJ, not NY. That's not to say a lot of people here didn't land in NY first, but most? I don't think so.

not NY, but specifically NYC. i find that comment strange to say the least, especially since Ellis Island's majority is in NJ, for instance. i'm interested in the stats to back that claim up as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
It is common knowledge.

common knowledge does not equal statistical information. where's the proof?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Agreed, however, I do think our NJ/NYC regional area has many people moving from this place to the that place, etc

Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedvsBlue1 View Post
If New Jersey was only from Trenton up, then i would agree with you, but here in south jersey, things are completly different. #1 90% of the people here hate people from North Jersey, no one really has a real legitement reason for this, but most of the time its just because of their proximity to NYC. #2 People in South Jersey tend to like Philadelphia more than NYC and hate teams like the jets and giants, unless their from NY. #3 we dont brag about how close we are to a major city, like NYC or Philadelphia, or if weve lived there or whatever
Below Trenton here, I don't find this true. I can't count the number of North Jersey transplants, myself included. I've yet to see anyone "hate" No Jersey people because a lot came from there.

Sure you see Philly teams in stores here, we're not that far away. I've always considered it the way it is. My hubby likes the Dolphins, I've yet to see someone talk down to him for it. I've also not seen anyone rag on my son for liking the Mets.

I like living down here. In about the same amount of time, I can drive to 3 airports, take my pick between Philly, Newark or Atlantic City. Although I've flown out of Newark when I lived in Union County, we prefer Philly.

As a teen, up until my 20's I went to NYC clubs. I loved the night life. I doubt Philly can come close to the NY night life.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
While this may not answer the question (as to entry to US), it's pretty interesting.

Search Immigration Records - Ancestry.com

Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 AM

5 posts, read 30,044 times
I feared moving here in July thinking it would be like New York.. New York as known by way of TV... I was very pleased to see how wrong I was. Sadly enough to comment on the true topic, there are children in South Texas that think New Jersey is a city of New York. I find this a little funny and a whole lot of scary. I think NJ should stay under the Radar being downwind of NYC

CORRECT SPELLING SOLD SEPARATELY

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM

267 posts, read 950,449 times
Quote:
Most people who live in Northern NJ are from NYC, so why wouldnt it be called NY

We are the sixth borough for a reason.
Wow, that is the most incorrect statement of the day.. Let me guess, your idea of North Jersey is Bergen/Hudson County....and even then, your numbers are not even close. I honestly can't name one person (and I'm not lying!) that I knew from my 28 yrs in North Jersey that was from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey