Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 21,884 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your help tommyc!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:57 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,013,667 times
Rahway by the Station, There are places available and only 35 min. to NYC direct. No car needed. dm me for more info.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Thank you for all your help tommyc!!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,832,985 times
I understand wanting to live somewhere and not need a car, and still be able to function normally. So are you currently in JC already?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Yes i am, all the way down on Kennedy Blvd and the bldg is turning out to be awful so I want to leave!! I am trying to familiarize myself with the area the best I can and see what my options are b/c I don't know where else to move to where I can still commute to my job in NYC. and the rents aren't going to kill me!!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,832,985 times
are you going to get screwed terminating your lease? do you want to stay in JC?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM

Not sure about the lease situation but it is the least of my worries, if you kind of know what i mean, and no i'd rather not stay in JC, just here b/c of a few friends!! nothing more...

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 448,299 times
Have you consider moving to Queens, NY because you can get a nice apt. for that price in a nice neighborhood?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:58 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,259,333 times
Dana, the most desirable area of JC is downtown. One day when you're on PATH, get off at Grove Street or Newport and walk around, see if those areas appeal to you. It will be difficult (though not totally impossible) to get a 1-bedroom near the Grove Street PATH station for $1200. Just two years ago I nearly moved into a nice top floor (3rd) 1-BR on York Street by Van Vorst Park for $985. Deals are out there. It is easier to find a 2-bedroom to share. In that price range ($2000-2400) there are tons of 2-BR places that are nice. Start with craigslist. There are lots of people posting roommate-wanted ads. Also, if you are willing to take a bit of risk, you can move into a 2-BR and then look for a roommate yourself. That will let you choose a place you like, and then interview prospective roommates. Either way, give yourself plenty of time and be patient. Don't jump into a situation you're not 100% comfortable in.

I had a friend who moved to Downtown JC last year, and he needed to find a bedroom in a 2-BR. He browsed ads and went to meet people/see places after work at least 2 evenings a week for about 2.5 months before he found a place he liked and a roommate he felt totally comfortable with (this guy is ridiculously picky though [no, really], so hopefully you could find something sooner). He found a great place 2 blocks from Grove ST Path, great roommate, $800/month each.

It's a daunting process, but since you're in a lease that isn't expiring tomorrow, you have time to explore and research. Start by exploring what neighborhoods you'd like to be in. Next, browse the ads on craigslist, contact people and meet them. If you don't find what you're looking for there, you can try a pay site like roommates.com. Also, some of the real estate brokers downtown might work for finding roommates (not sure if they get into that business or not, but check it out!). You'd have to pay a fee if you take a place they find for you, but it could be worthwhile and make the process easier for you.

Good luck! JC isn't all bad. If you put in the work you can find something great!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,320,903 times
If you work in NYC why not just live in NYC

There are places that are still pretty cheap and nice in the outer boroughs Like maspeth, ridgewood, middle village in Queens

Even a place like Wash Hi (Washington Heights) which is in Manhattan is rapidly changing, and is perfectly safe

You get huge rooms there for less price, and the amenities are inexpensive also

You do not have to live in JC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey