Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Sounds like someone who looks to place blame anywhere else he/she can but on themselves. It's New Jersey's fault that you have a growing family in a starter home too, right? Oh woe is me...my home, my future, my inability...it's all New Jersey's fault. Please....
yeah but there is alittle ring of truth to what this person is saying. I think a lot of people feel that way. I have a friend who cant even pay to go to a doctor but owns a home with a mortage! Insaine, what happened was taxes did go up alot, and he works for the Big news papers for along time and we all know how lousy that is going and they did not provide any health insurance in his job. He is scheduled to be gone in October or Jan. So lets say your 55, job you been at 15 years is kicking you out, and you are truely the poor middle class. Now to blame NJ no but I do understand what they are saying. And what the solution? Work 2 jobs, get your 14 year old to work? Just throwing this out, we have discussed this before but I see alot of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samandaxo View Post
OUCH, sorry I offended you but I thought this was a thread about the home prices in NJ NOT feeding the hungry in AFRICA. And to answer your question...YES I do deserve the luxury of a home that I have worked hard for as do all of us who inhabit the planet.

And NO I do not expect anyone to "hand" it to me.....I left home at the age of 18 and have been paying my way since then....putting myself through 7 years of college/graduate work...working since age 18, obeying the law....going to church....paying taxes and working as an RN with indigent/mentally ill/ drug abusers....blah, blah, blah......isnt that what we were taught as children to get an education, find a profession, work hard, be honest and live comfortably.....do a tad better than our parents?????

So yeah I guess you can say I deserve to have my hard work pay off with enough of an income to purchase a nice home in a decent area with excellent schools without property taxes that are like another mortgage....dont most of us...if not then what the h*** are we doing..........I mean why put in all the effort for no payout...why do we in NJ have to struggle so hard to make ends meet....All my friends and family who live outside of NJ think I am crazy to continue to stay in the state......how pathetic is this....take the pay cut into consideration/lower housing cost/lower cost of homes/lower insurance and I will be ahead of the game but at the cost of leaving close family so I stay in my little hovel of a home

Oh and No I dont have any of Daddy's money.......but I digress.....

My father supported my mother and 3 kids on a painters salary and we lived in a beautiful area with nice schools!!!!!!AND NO NJ does not make it possible anymore for the middle class to make ends meet....this is not a foreign idea....just read the front page of any local newspaper

OH and I do not live above my means at all.......I have one VISA card and havent gone on a vacation in 2 years and then it was to Myrtle Beach in November for 600/week. So yeah I guess I will have to put on my big girl panties as well as my helmet, my shield of armour and SUCK IT UP because nothing will change until all the hard working people who keep this state functioning walk no run to the nearest border but hey thanks for all of your support, understanding and empathy....you got to love the people of Jersey!!!!!
<yawn>

I don't know...post a big ol' whine, moan, and complain type of post anywhere on the internet and I think you'll get the same type of responses.

But I suppose using your logic, it's not people who are the ones attacking your post but the state of New Jersey.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:07 AM

[quote=BrianH1970;4889375]<yawn>

I dont feel bad, I do have daddy's money, who is he suppost to give it to the kid down the block??

Old 08-17-2008, 06:16 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
[quote=stevemorse;4889446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
<yawn>

I dont feel bad, I do have daddy's money, who is he suppost to give it to the kid down the block??
Yeah, seriously!!

Hell, I wish I had somebody's money.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 AM

yeah whats wrong with Dad forking it over?? Put everyone else to work !!!!! At least we are not paying the inheritance tax if he forks it over alive

Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,823 times
Not whining about it at all, but we are one of those middle class families that felt forced out of NJ. (well, my husband was more overjoyed than forced that I finally approved our exodus, but he's the one who married a Jersey girl. ) First we hopped the border to PA and now we've gotten really serious and have landed happily in Denver.

It's a very interesting point that's been made about people staying in NJ despite the economics to stay close to family. My parents moved out of NJ first, so family was no longer a draw to NJ - and with that link gone, there really wasn't any justification for our staying.

Colorado is a very interesting contrast - no one here lives near family...it seems that everyone is a transplant who chose to live here. Makes for a very different vibe...people don't seem to feel as trapped by circumstances.

And while I miss being close to family, I know that on a brand new 4000sf house in the CO town where we're moving the property taxes are $3500 - not the $12000 my parents paid in taxes on their NJ townhome. That money in your pocket pays for a heck of a lot of airplane trips to visit family no matter where they land.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM

619 posts, read 2,198,823 times
I'd like to add that we aren't buying the brand new 4000sf house...we could just afford to pay the taxes on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey