Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 50,294 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are researching locations to live that are close to NYC (1-2 hours by car or train), but don't have the NYC price tag. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
There are nearly 600 municipalities in New Jersey. Any one of them could have what you're looking for. Please offer some guidelines. Do you have children? Do you want a house, townhouse, condo, other? Do you like wooded hills or the shore? Are there certain activities you enjoy that you want to have access to? Do you want to be in a town where you can walk to the corner store or would you prefer to drive to Target? What is your price range?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 50,294 times
Ideally, we'd love to find a loft, something to similar to what we have now -- in Oakland, CA near Jack London Square - it's a slightly 'edgy' area, a stone's throw from the water, and with a lot of renovation/development. A world famous jazz club is in walking distance. Close to Chinatown, highways, public transportation. Very urban, but also quite safe with a lot of character. Very close to SF and easy to jump on the highway when we need to. We feel more comfortable in cities than suburbia, although it's nice to have green areas close by that we can visit when the concrete jungle gets overwhelming.

No children yet, but that is coming, so schools will be important.

Activities/nightlife: we like live music, my husband cycles and I also do dance. I figure we could find all of that almost anywhere in neighborhoods that are close to NYC, if not NYC proper.

Professionally, we want to be near NYC so that it's practical to have clients there (for occasional on-site meetings, etc.) and because NYC will probably have more of the type of clientele we serve (design and technology.)

Sorry, no price range, too many agents trolling these boards.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 PM

367 posts, read 959,619 times
Hoboken comes to mind. What doesn't come to mind is why you would leave Cali for this dying sewer of a state. Here's a bit of interesting reading....
We're Number One (Alas) | Politicker NJ

Old 08-16-2008, 12:58 PM

63 posts, read 235,405 times
I would have to agree with DFBonnet. I'm from CA (Bay Area - SF/Oakland) and it is way better than NY (sorry NYer's). Cali is MUCH cleaner, and more kid friendly! I only live in NY at the present moment because my hubby is from here (and he was home sick, lived in CA for 7 yrs). We have 3 children and I am looking to get the hell out of here within the next two years. Looking for something like Cali but without the prices. Also, why would you want to come to another state where the cost of living is pretty much the same (probably more in NY) but the atmosphere is worse? Just my opinion!

Last edited by sroper33; 08-16-2008 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention that I'm from the Bay Area!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,123 times
Default Looking for nice family town in New Jersey

Hey there, We also are looking to find a nice town for our family that would be within an hour commute to NYC. We're looking for great schools, nice neighborhoods, just a great family town. We have a decent budget, but it seems hard to select a town when you're unfamiliar with the area. Can anyone give me any suggestions. I find the "townships" confusing?? Are those the names of the towns? Thanks!!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
Sounds like you are coming from a pretty cool area. That's going to be tough to replicate here to be honest.

Without a price range it is going to be tough to say, but I believe that you are going to have to face a bit of a compromise/trade-off between location to the city and the quality of the schools.

If you are looking for a downtown like atmosphere with decent schools, I might suggest Summit, Montclair, Westfield- they have charming downtown areas and are relatively close to the city with good schools (Montclair possible exception).

I am not going to lecture you about the pitfalls of NJ and whether or not it is a dump. You have made your decision to come here, so welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
Sounds like you are coming from a pretty cool area. That's going to be tough to replicate here to be honest.

Without a price range it is going to be tough to say, but I believe that you are going to have to face a bit of a compromise/trade-off between location to the city and the quality of the schools.

If you are looking for a downtown like atmosphere with decent schools, I might suggest Summit, Montclair, Westfield- they have charming downtown areas and are relatively close to the city with good schools (Montclair possible exception).

I am not going to lecture you about the pitfalls of NJ and whether or not it is a dump. You have made your decision to come here, so welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself!
That's not tough to replicate. Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are equivalent to what she describes in the oakland area.

"loft, in a slightly 'edgy' area, a stone's throw from the water, and with a lot of renovation/development. A world famous jazz club is in walking distance. Close to Chinatown, highways, public transportation. Very urban, but also quite safe with a lot of character. Very close to SF and easy to jump on the highway when we need to. We feel more comfortable in cities than suburbia, although it's nice to have green areas close by that we can visit when the concrete jungle gets overwhelming."

That = Hoboken and Downtown JC. Rivergirl, that is where I would start looking if I were you.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl43 View Post
My husband and I are researching locations to live that are close to NYC (1-2 hours by car or train), but don't have the NYC price tag. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Westfield ----great family town with good schools

Rahway----both city and country feel (under a lot of developement right now and the school system is not as good as surrounding towns) but i still love it

Colonia (part of woodbridge) another great family area with good schools

Clark / Cranford ---both good family towns with good schools

There are a lot more towns like these but these are the ones i know

Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
That's not tough to replicate. Downtown Jersey City and Hoboken are equivalent to what she describes in the oakland area.

"loft, in a slightly 'edgy' area, a stone's throw from the water, and with a lot of renovation/development. A world famous jazz club is in walking distance. Close to Chinatown, highways, public transportation. Very urban, but also quite safe with a lot of character. Very close to SF and easy to jump on the highway when we need to. We feel more comfortable in cities than suburbia, although it's nice to have green areas close by that we can visit when the concrete jungle gets overwhelming."

That = Hoboken and Downtown JC. Rivergirl, that is where I would start looking if I were you.

What about this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl43 View Post
No children yet, but that is coming, so schools will be important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey