Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapur View Post
Thanks for your input guys. Well Fargo is now offering me ridiculous 30 yr FHA rate 6.75% and $13,000 in closing costs, 10% down. My score is 650 and my wifes 730. Now I need to shop around a bit.

BTW..I finally signed the contract today. 2 months to closing date.

Look at Spencer Savings maybe BofA. Wells Fargo is too high on all accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
I have a 5.75% fixed rate, no need to consider an ARM at that level. Keep in mind that even a 6.5% fixed rate is historically on the low side. ARMs, like Interest Only (IO) loans work well for those that are wealthy or for those buying something they can easily afford. The problems started when ARMs and IOs became teasers for those that could NOT afford what they were buying.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

316 posts, read 943,263 times
overall I am ok with ARMS if the rate is truly much better than a fixed and you plan to either sell or refinance sometime in the foreseeable future. obviously the long term fixed option is "safer" if it is your primary residence and planning to live there for a while, especially if you can get a decent rate. in my opinion, the rates on the ARMS right now are not good enough to justify doing one. just my two cents.

overall, although housing prices are pretty decent right now, market conditions for mortgages have gotten pretty bad in my opinion. for example, last december i was looking at a property for $350K and was quoted a monthly payment (mortgage plus taxes) of $2600. Now, 9 months later I have been given almost the same exact monthly payment quote for a house that is $50K less. Really frustrates me! There have been a number of factors that have changed over the past year contributing to this: (so I am told):
1) rates are higher in general. Back then they were 6.25%, and now they would be 6.5-6.75% for 20% down and even more for 10% down.
2) rates are now credit graded. It's not enough to have a good down payment anymore to have the best rates. You must also fall into the top tier of credit scoring to get the best rates (720 or higher)
3) this is possibly the biggest factor: that mortgage insurance companies have raised their rate significantly, to offset the cost of high default rates on low down payment loans.

Each of these 3 factors alone is enough to raise rates/payments, but when combined it certainly has a more dramatic effect. All of these constraints are (hopefully) intended to sure up the lending industry, by holding borrowers to higher standards & making sure they are completely qualified. But they make it tougher for people like me! I was about to make an offer on a property but now I am thinking I will hold right for a bit.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I would stick to a fixed rate. If you look around you may get lower than posted.

Imo, An ARM is what caused all the problems you see today. It's better to be safe. I have owned four homes, and I have never taken anything that wasn't a fixed rate.

Diane G

Wrong. ARMS's didn't cause todays mortgage crisis. People who bought homes well over their heads at 100% borrowings caused this crisis.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Wrong. ARMS's didn't cause todays mortgage crisis. People who bought homes well over their heads at 100% borrowings caused this crisis.
That's true, but if they had a fixed rate they would not be in the trouble they are in today. They now own homes less than their mortgage, so they are foreclosing on them . Having worked in a bank in the Mortgage dept the only choices I would recomend are the Conventional, FHA, and VA mortgages.

Diane G

Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I have heard a few stories about people with ARMS on both 1st and 2nd (HELOC) with no money down plus money back. They had credit FICO less than 700 too. Has anyone heard of similar senario?

This is insane. No money down, money kicked back, and teaser rates on a double mortgage. Everyone was living large and told it was OK to stretch only if it meant buying real estate (real estate was the best investment). Sellers/brokers/banks were laughing hand over fist at when the cycle boomed. There were no controls or caps in place to police what was about to take place.

I also heard foreigners made out like bandits, took out mortgages w/huge HELOCs, maxed out the HELOC and the left the county, let the house foreclose. But nobody mentions this at all for sake of "PC".

Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
Do you have to put 20% down to get a 5/1 or 7/1 arm?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasital View Post
Do you have to put 20% down to get a 5/1 or 7/1 arm?
It certainly isn't a blanket requirement.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
I heard it was 18% at some time in 80s
15 % fixed mortgages were not unusual in the early 80's.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM

234 posts, read 814,106 times
I had a 7 yr arm at 4.5% back in 2004. The townhouse was a stepping stone, and I knew I would be moving onto something bigger in the 7 yr period.

I just moved into a 4 bedroom house. I saved tens of thousands of dollars in interest over if I went with a 5.5% 30 yr fixed mortgage. I was a great move.

I wouldn't recommend going with an arm if you:

Can't afford the payments based on 2 % points higher

or

Plan on staying in the place for more than 7 yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey