Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Wow. You moved to NJ and some of the things here are different than wherever you came from. Wow.
I don't see where being used to a "Super Walmart" is any sort of bump up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina williamson View Post
I just moved to New Jersey and WOW ...
1) Once in the state of New Jersey, no left turns ... Help you if you use GPS to get around, you will end up in the middle of no where trying to find a way to turn left.
Any modern GPS knows how the intersections work, not just that you need to make a left turn. Beyond that, it's simply good traffic design. People making turns from the fast lane slows down the whole road, ruins lane rules, etc.

Quote:
2) Can't pump your own gas and when you are at a gas station in NJ, there is a 10 cent difference between paying cash vs. credit for gas. The gas stations kind of help you make up your mind to pay cash to save the 10 cent difference for regular gas.
Even the credit price is cheaper than any other state in the region.

Quote:
3) No self-serve car washes. You have to give up your first born to wash your car. All car washes are full service and the lines are long and the prices are COSTLY. Also, pray that you can find a vacuum for your car .... very limited vacuums are located. There are NO self-serve car washes where you can drive your car though and NOT HAVE to wait for someone to dry off your car.
Land is worth money here. The manual self-serve car washes are an inefficient use of land that can serve far fewer cars than a real one can.

Quote:
4) If you are use to a SUPER WALMART (GOOD LUCK)!
We just have better stores than Walmart.

Quote:
5) Tolls on roads...
River crossings, Turnpike, Parkway. They are different entities. Regardless, you should have an EZ-Pass if you're living here.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina williamson View Post
I just moved to New Jersey and WOW ...
1) Once in the state of New Jersey, no left turns ... Help you if you use GPS to get around, you will end up in the middle of no where trying to find a way to turn left.
2) Can't pump your own gas and when you are at a gas station in NJ, there is a 10 cent difference between paying cash vs. credit for gas. The gas stations kind of help you make up your mind to pay cash to save the 10 cent difference for regular gas.
3) No self-serve car washes. You have to give up your first born to wash your car. All car washes are full service and the lines are long and the prices are COSTLY. Also, pray that you can find a vacuum for your car .... very limited vacuums are located. There are NO self-serve car washes where you can drive your car though and NOT HAVE to wait for someone to dry off your car.
4) If you are use to a SUPER WALMART (GOOD LUCK)!
5) Tolls on roads - If you drive to NJ, get an easy pass. The toll roads ALL have different fees to pay. Example, on one toll road, you might take a ticket, drive a few miles and pay $2.50. The next toll may require a ticket from the 1st toll on the road and then you drive a few miles and pay $12.00. Here is the shocker, I was driving to NJ and arrived at my last toll (after midnight) and it was NO dollar bills, only $1.50 COINS ONLY (that you had to toss out of your window into a plastic bin). I had the exact change (THANKS TO the treat money that I had to borrow from my two dogs and 1 cat in the car). When I approached this toll and saw the drivers ahead of me just tossing change out the window into the plastic bin, I thought, WOW, they must have issues!!!!! No, it was a COINS ONLY and you had no warning about this COINS ONLY and NO BILLS, NO HUMAN to give change. If you drove through, I was told, your picture would have posted on AMW and the top 10 list (within the week).

We'll, I had to post my WOW's after reading the postings on this page. This is all the news I have to share for now. I am sure I will be able to write a WOW NJ book by the end of the year!
NOT having a super walmart is supposed to be a bad thing?... Where did you come from?

Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NOT having a super walmart is supposed to be a bad thing?... Where did you come from?
Those who want Super Wal-Marts are likely the same folks who think that The Olive Garden serves authentic Italian food, who think that P.F. Chang's is the go-to place for Asian cuisine, and that the best pizza is found at places like Pizza Hut, Domino's, and Papa John's.

Those who are enamored of "the chain experience" usually don't appreciate anything other than homogenized mediocrity.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
People who say that population density is a reason for the right turn rule don't know what they are talking about. In CA people are making left hand turns in intersections all the time. It's not unlawful or frowned upon. It's just another BS rule that NJ has to offer.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Left-turning traffic is a major source of conflicts at intersections. Though an average of only 10% to 15% of all approach traffic turns left, these vehicles are involved in approximately 45% of all accidents.

UPS found long ago that avoiding left turns saves time and gas.

When in doubt: UPS avoids left turns

Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
People who say that population density is a reason for the right turn rule don't know what they are talking about. In CA people are making left hand turns in intersections all the time. It's not unlawful or frowned upon. It's just another BS rule that NJ has to offer.
And CA has certainly cured traffic issues... ha!

traffic studies have shown jughandles improve the flow of traffic and are safer.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
And CA has certainly cured traffic issues... ha!

traffic studies have shown jughandles improve the flow of traffic and are safer.
Then why have few (if any) states adopt this method? It just seems like another stupid NJ law that they refuse to change.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Then why have few (if any) states adopt this method? It just seems like another stupid NJ law that they refuse to change.
Well, there are relatively few states that have similar population density so it isn't as critical an issue in other places. But lots of states use jug handles, just not to the extent of NJ. Beyond that I suppose reasons include tradition, stubbornness, and people believing their freedom is being infringed.

And let's be real here. It isn't like this impacts all or even close to a majority of roads in NJ.

As for refusal to change, NJ has made great strides in getting rid of lots of its traffic circles.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Well, there are relatively few states that have similar population density so it isn't as critical an issue in other places. But lots of states use jug handles, just not to the extent of NJ. Beyond that I suppose reasons include tradition, stubbornness, and people believing their freedom is being infringed.

And let's be real here. It isn't like this impacts all or even close to a majority of roads in NJ.

As for refusal to change, NJ has made great strides in getting rid of lots of its traffic circles.
I'm not sure what you mean. Most states in the northeast have similar population densities, minus the jughandles. It's overall just complete stupidity that they still exist. Especially on route 22 where it's easily forgotten where the jughandles are in relation to all the shopping malls. And out in on 206 in Flemington? It's so rural that there is no reason why one can't flip a turn in the middle of an intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey