Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwkldy View Post
Newark, New Jersey like every where else has its good and bad. There are many worth living in neighborhoods. The thing with Newark is that once something goes wrong and the media finds out about it, then the media begins to dig for anything negative that it could find. I can imagine how many other cities are not being tracked by the media, and all its crimes remain a secret. Example, So and so got killed in Newark. (Media) "Lets see what else happens today or tomorrow" The Media becomes sort of a stalker, and begins to publicize any dirt it can dig up. They should do that with all cities, and I bet you would be surprise the crazy things that are going on.

Anyway, yes there are lots of crimes going on here and there. I do believe that people should take into consideration that Newark is a huge City. Why don't they actually specify the parts of the neighborhood that these things are going on, instead of just saying Newark. The City has its sections, they should point out those parts. There lots of parts of Newark that are really nice and decent to live in. The School System isn't the greatest, but for kids who have high grades, they can always qualify for real good schools. For example, schools like Arts High and Science High which are great schools. The part where am from is not exactly one of the nicest parts I'm mentioning, but it is not a real bad neighborhood. There are a few rotten apples like in so many other places. You know rotten apples tend to want to damage the good ones. I believe is a matter of knowing who to socialize with. Make sure you know who you bring to your home or even who is your next door neighbor. Most importantly do track who are your kids friends. Makes sure you know who they hang out with. Don't let your kids sleep over nobody's house, no matter how nice you think the friends might be. Your kids are safer by your side, like that you definitely know what's going on at all times. There might be times that they might have to go to the library or even to do homework at their friend's house, well have them do it at your home. Another way to know where your kids are at all times are some prepay cell phones. Some people don't like their kids to have cell phone, but they do help a lot when it comes to keeping them more safe. You can also take them to the Library and pick them up. There is no need to be hanging out in the streets late nights. Stay at home and just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Good luck!
Finally someone with a clue about Newark. As a "Nork" (Newark) native myself Newark has more of an image problem than a crime problem. Man bites dog will always get the headlines. What about the 99% of the good people, especially the good kids that get no recognition at all. Have most of the posters (posers) even ever been to Newark?

"Nicky Norker till the end"

Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Newark does have an image problem but so does that part of NJ in general. Buying your kid a cell phone and never letting them have sleepovers is not the point.

The people of Newark do not deserve to be slammed but I would never assume any particular person needs child rearing advice if I don't know them.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM

38 posts, read 183,779 times
Its A Urban Warzone. Pressure Cooker. STRESSFUL LIVIN.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:21 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinblu View Post
Finally someone with a clue about Newark. As a "Nork" (Newark) native myself Newark has more of an image problem than a crime problem. Man bites dog will always get the headlines. What about the 99% of the good people, especially the good kids that get no recognition at all. Have most of the posters (posers) even ever been to Newark?

"Nicky Norker till the end"

I have to disagree. It has an image and a crime problem. Yes, you can still live in Newark and be sheltered from it all, but if you are actually out and about going to high school, college, work, or even grade school you will see it first hand. I went to school in Newark and I was robbed at gunpoint for a pair of earrings. Another time, I was robbed for a leather sherling coat walking to Rutgers. Oh, and my sister was carjacked for her toyata, my nephew was robbed for a watch. Even my ex was robbed while sending a western union. My mother was on a NJ transit bus #13 one morning going to work on Cedar Street and - the bus crashed and an idiot on the bus, IN NEWARK, tried to take her pocketbook and run off the bus. I was in the subway station and two guys walked up to an old lady and took her shopping bags - -

- I mean, maybe you're lucky enough to drive everywhere you go, don't have children, but it is what it is and although its home for you, and noone likes to hear bad things about their HOME, call a spade a spade. DO you live in Society Hill or maybe the Colonnades? Do you ever walk downtown Newark? or perhaps have gone to an ATM on South Orange avenue. Newark is bad. It's convenient, but bad and you can't sugar coat it no matter how good Corey Booker think he's doing. If you're in that city without a car, do not wear jewelry, do not walk with a bunch of cash, do not dangle your pocketbook because it's just not safe. ANd while I agree, no one is safe - you have to use EXTRA precaution and street smarts when in Newark.

Children learn what they live and no one is saying the kids in Newark are bad - but Newark needs help, the parents need help and the school system needs help. No one is laughing saying ha ha ha Newark is bad, it's a sad thing when you ride by some of these houses and see broken bottles everywhere. Guys hanging at the corner stores early in the morning, kids having to walk by abandoned buildings and abandoned lot after lot after lot. It's like the sun doesn't even shine on some of those streets. My heart goes out to anybody who has to live like that. There are some good neighborhoods, but the bad outweighs the good.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
[quote=girl-973-908-732;3105547]
- I mean, maybe you're lucky enough to drive everywhere you go, don't have children, but it is what it is and although its home for you, and noone likes to hear bad things about their HOME, call a spade a spade. DO you live in Society Hill or maybe the Colonnades? Do you ever walk downtown Newark?
quote]

I know people who lived in Society Hill, walked and lived in downtown and somehow lived to tell about it. I've walked downtown hundreds of times(recently) and know/walked past the Society Hill area.

As for your stories(probably at least a decade ago) yeah it sucks but name me one similar city nationwide that doesn't have the same type of issues you just mentioned. Does Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, St. Louis, Oakland, Memphis, Cleveland ring a bell?

The city itself in general sucks but it's the people more than anything who bring it down. It needs a demographic change.

SOULTRAIN, you're from ATL, right? I wouldn't talk if I were you...

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
It needs a demographic change.

SOULTRAIN, you're from ATL, right? I wouldn't talk if I were you...[/quote]

How can I speak for Detroit, baltimore Canden etc when I never lived there nor car to - and no the happenings are very recent. You can run to Vailsburg or Ivy Hill and still get Shot execution style - so please.

Booker, Dana Rone, Luis Quintana, Ronald Rice, Jr. and all the politicians have their own agendas and no one is talking about "nationwide" they're talking about "Newark".

And "no" it does not need a demographic change. The city is majority black, hispanic and white/Italian/portugese - so what change in demographics are you referring to. What are the demographics of a "good city".

Newark needs accountability and enforcement. Enforce a curfew. Enforce "no hanging outside in front of your local bodega". Heck, enforce the speed limit. Enforce the trash law. Enforce the no dumping law. Clean up the city. Get the homeless people from hanging outside of the Newark Library - it's not welcoming. Get them from outside the Newark Museum - it's not welcoming. They tolerate too much nonsense. Get these cops out the cars and onto the streets. Let them walk or at the least ride have more on bikes. Hold parents more accountable for their children's behavior and implement some SAFE aftercare programs so at 3:30 when the kids get out of school.

Oh and let me stretch this issue.....................have random drug testing for welfare recipients. If you use drugs, get into treatment or you lose your benefits.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 PM

38 posts, read 135,838 times
I'm from North Newark and I would never go back there if u paid me a million dollars like the CrazyJerzyKidUNO said only place I go now is down neck to eat Spanish/Portuguese thats it. I mean Newark was starting to look good but don't know whats going on now ever since that Mayor left office it appears to be going down hill oh then u got wonderful East Orange and Irvington bordering it. The best thing my parents and family did was leave. In Jersey just far away from Newark as possible.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
I don't know anyone who would willingly set foot in Newark unless they really had too. It has a very high level of crime, with some areas obviously being worse then others. It is not the same place at all as a generation or 2 ago when I had family members that even lived there.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
[quote=girl-973-908-732;3106192]

Quote:
How can I speak for Detroit, baltimore Canden etc when I never lived there nor car to - and no the happenings are very recent. You can run to Vailsburg or Ivy Hill and still get Shot execution style - so please.
So you would send your kids out at 11pm to hang out on a block KNOWN for drug/gang activity? Ummkay...

Quote:
Booker, Dana Rone, Luis Quintana, Ronald Rice, Jr. and all the politicians have their own agendas and no one is talking about "nationwide" they're talking about "Newark".
Fine, just don't make it seem like it's the ONLY city in America with these type of issues like some of these sheltered suburbanites do.

Quote:
And "no" it does not need a demographic change. The city is majority black, hispanic and white/Italian/portugese - so what change in demographics are you referring to. What are the demographics of a "good city".
A city the same size or larger than this one with a population percentage of 85percent minority is gonna have a modest crime rate, simple as that. I don't care where it is. I'm black and live in East Orange, BTW. Also, the only "white" part of the city is Forest Hill.

Quote:
Newark needs accountability and enforcement. Enforce a curfew. Enforce "no hanging outside in front of your local bodega". Heck, enforce the speed limit. Enforce the trash law. Enforce the no dumping law. Clean up the city. Get the homeless people from hanging outside of the Newark Library - it's not welcoming. Get them from outside the Newark Museum - it's not welcoming. They tolerate too much nonsense. Get these cops out the cars and onto the streets. Let them walk or at the least ride have more on bikes. Hold parents more accountable for their children's behavior and implement some SAFE aftercare programs so at 3:30 when the kids get out of school.
Cops can only do so much. BTW, don't know if ya heard, but crime/murder rate is way down from last year. Not as much as you suburbanites want it, but it's down. Hope the trend continues. Whatever worked in the first 2 months has to work x10 esp. when the summer hits.

As far as only having to step foot in the city when people HAVE to, there is this large sports arena, NJPAC, baseball stadium and the Ironbound. People don't HAVE to go to these places, esp. at night, but they do. More than you know. That's like saying why would anyone step foot in Baltimore, Brooklyn and Cleveland unless they only HAVE to.

Last edited by Marv95; 03-11-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
thank you historic
this is what ive been tryin to tell people growing up in Northeast Teaneck i knkow about drugs and gangs and crooked cops. And being the only white family on the block. I always got grief from neighboring towns about how it was such a bad area. People just dont understand if they dont live somewhere. Im trying to get a good job in a city environment and not have to pay an arm and a leg for rent. Newark does this for me. Ive gone through all the **** before. I can handle myself. Thank you Historic for clearing it up for the rest of these sheltered people.
"Sheltered people" is right. For some reason the phrase "soccer mom" leaps to mind. A college friend of mine now rooms in Newark and he loves it. He thinks Cranford is too boring with nothing to do. Newark has all this "local color" at a bargain price

I used to roam around plainfield while in north Plainfield and you can't beat the diversity of the place....I think it had more older Land Cruisers than anywhere else , which was tres cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey