Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM

276 posts, read 747,225 times

Advertisements

thanks Bob. I went down to Woodbridge today, but got lost and went instead to Edison. And Woodbridge is not that close to 22, it seems, as we were at exit 129 or something around there. we may do Woodbridge...i just need to look at the various homes on realtor.com and then get one. also, i will look at roselle park later tonight, as maxmillian suggests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 04:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The most direct route to 22 is to grab the Parkway to Exit 140. Depending where in Woodbridge you're getting on, your at either Exit 129, 130, or 131.

When I was working in Florham Park, I often took the back roads thru Edison, Scotch Plains, Westfield, etc., which didn't save much time, but was much more pleasant than sitting in traffic on the Parkway and 78. Once you know your way around, that may be the better option depending on where exactly you need to get to and what times you're commuting.

I haven't been in Roselle Park much lately, but I don't think you'll find it as appealing as Woodbridge and Edison- but that's just my opinion.

Bob

Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 AM

22 posts, read 121,529 times
If you are commuting to NYC, look at Union and Essex primarily...nothing further than Rahway, Woodbridge in Middlesex. With price range - I looked at the max I can afford in house when I moved to New Jersey from Brooklyn. I understood my buspass/trainpass would run me almost $200 a month as opposed to a $60 a month metrocard - I factored the $5300 property tax but it goes up a few hundred every year while my job thinks a 3% raise actually helps anybody. I'm up to $7200 in property tax, which is cheap compared to my neighbors, it's that price since my home was appraised last in 2002. If I refinance, my home will be reapppraised and will shoot up to at least 11K annually in property tax. Utilities go up 20% each year too (the state approves this), I pay about $30 in useless taxes and surcharges with each utility bill. I say knock 100K off you max home price to factor in the $1000 you'll pay each month in property tax - your mortgage spreads over 30 years, taxes just 12 months.

Look at Roselle Park, Kenilworth and certain parts of Union Township. Avenel and Colonia as well.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 AM

20 posts, read 34,479 times
I used to live in Marlboro until I moved to Clearwater, FLA and to get to the City (downtown Manhattan) on a good day would be at least 1.5 hours. I've been down here for about nine years, now, and the traffic seems worse everytime I go up for a visit.

How about New Brunswick? I know, I know - the reputation but it seems to be improving everytime I visit and it's much better than when I went to Rutgers in the 90s. Plus the train runs right through it and there's easy access to just about every route you could want - 280, Turnpike, Parkway, 18, 9, 130, 1 - plus quick access to Newark Airport.

It kind of reminds me of how the Old Northeast section of St. Pete, FLA in that about 10 years ago you go have gotten what appeared to be an old beat up hovel for next to nothing (say $40K like my friend did), rehab it back to it's original craftsman glory and end up with a house that'll go for a minimum of $250K - it's called gentrification. The only trick is you have to be willing to be on the front edge of the whole thing and hope that other like-minded people also move in thereby improving the entire neighborhood.

It's certainly not for everyone but it was just a thought.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 34,479 times
Default Moving Back

Bob,
Any advice for a native thinking about moving back? We're looking at central Jersey say from New Brunswick or there abouts south to Freehold? The budget's a problem as we're probably looking at only a $250K price cap. I'm thinking foreclosure or pre-foreclosure - all these ARMs has to work out to somebody's benefit (read that as tongue-in-cheek and laced with irony).

Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinn View Post
Bob,
Any advice for a native thinking about moving back? We're looking at central Jersey say from New Brunswick or there abouts south to Freehold? The budget's a problem as we're probably looking at only a $250K price cap. I'm thinking foreclosure or pre-foreclosure - all these ARMs has to work out to somebody's benefit (read that as tongue-in-cheek and laced with irony).
A couple of things to consider:

- If you've got kids, forget New Brunswick- the school system there is still extremely bad.

- Forget about foreclosures. Even though the number of foreclosures has been increasing, the banks have gotten smart in the past 5 years- they used to put the house up just for the amount owed on the mortgage- now they put them up for market value (and get it) to cover their losses on all of the upside-down, reverse mortgage, no down, interest only disasters they've been writing.

- Pre-foreclosures are just as tough- people aren't walking away as easily as they used to- they're holding out for the big bucks. Besides, the mortgages that these people are in danger of defaulting on are all 95% or greater LTV, so there's no way for you to get a "deal" anyway. On top of that, there's a sign on every telephone pole in town saying "We Buy Houses for Cash"- so you've got plenty of competition, and you'd better have cash to get the deal done quickly (if you manage to find one).

I don't think you'll find anything in a decent neighborhood for $250k anymore. Even the rundown sections of New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, etc., are getting that. Now, for $300-350k, you've got a shot at getting something, even in a town like Woodbridge, or even parts of Howell and Freehold. It won't be a brand new, 3,000 SF McMansion, but it'll be livable.

Bob

Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 AM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I haven't been in Roselle Park much lately, but I don't think you'll find it as appealing as Woodbridge and Edison- but that's just my opinion.Bob
I don't know anything about schools or taxes when comparing Woodbridge/Edison to Roselle Park/Kenilworth/Cranford, but I'd much rather live in the Roselle Park/Kenilworth/Cranford area.

Those three towns have a much more quaint, small town feel than mega mall, strip mall, crushing traffic, divided highway towns like Woodbridge and Edison.

Cranford is a bit more upscale compared to Roselle Park and Kenilworth, but all three towns seem like nice places to live.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM

15 posts, read 96,015 times
One of the best ways to get to NYC is the Ferry. Gets you there in well under an hour. No traffic problems.

They go from Highlands, Atlantic Highlands & Belford, & maybe Keyport (was the fast ferry).

http://www.seastreak.com/SeaStreak (broken link)

Lots of nice towns on the coast between Keyport & Sandy Hook.

Regards

Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 AM

6 posts, read 17,424 times
Default Did you go into Morris?

Morris County, Randolph, Rockaway & Denville area are very nice and have an hour or so trip to NYC and you can get a nice home for your price. Midtown direct service from many train stations and bus park and rides too.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:23 AM
cem

6 posts, read 27,402 times
Default Union County

Try looking in the Summit area. The express train to Manhattan (not Brooklyn, btw ) is very convenient. The homes are probably well above 550K, but you may be able to find something within your price range. You can even look in the surrounding areas i.e., New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Millburn. The commute from other towns is not as convenient as the Summit express but it's a really great area to live and the schools are excellent. It's definitely worth looking into. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey