Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.
thanks. I'm ok, it's gone. Hopefully never to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,057 times
I usually don't like to resurrect older threads but after moving to the Toms River/Manchester area, 11 months later I was diagnosed with early stages of cancer. I have not felt well since moving here, and am trying desperately to get away. I am the only member of my family to get a gyn cancer, ever.

There is something in this area that doesn't agree with my body. I've developed other problems as well in a relatively short space of time. Have a bad feeling about this vicinity. I know others don't but it doesn't sit well with me at all. Just call it a "6th Sense" but something is wrong here as far as my body is concerned.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I usually don't like to resurrect older threads but after moving to the Toms River/Manchester area, 11 months later I was diagnosed with early stages of cancer. I have not felt well since moving here, and am trying desperately to get away. I am the only member of my family to get a gyn cancer, ever.

There is something in this area that doesn't agree with my body. I've developed other problems as well in a relatively short space of time. Have a bad feeling about this vicinity. I know others don't but it doesn't sit well with me at all. Just call it a "6th Sense" but something is wrong here as far as my body is concerned.
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Is a "sick" house or apartment also making you feel sick? There is a lot of mold near the water and if the place you're living in is contaminated with it, you will be ill.

A lot of cancers are slow growing and it's very possible you already had the cancer when you moved to this area. You didn't say where you lived before moving to Toms River. Where did you come from and what part of Toms River did you move to? Be specific with your area so others can offer better information for you. I see you don't live in Toms River; you live in Manchester.

There are other reasons attributed to getting cancer; please read the supplied link. The chance of getting cancer also rises as we age. Are you a senior?

"While cancers occur in people of all ages, incidence rates for most types of cancers rise sharply among people who are over 45 years of age. When a community, neighborhood, or workplace consists primarily of people over the age of 45, and particularly over the age of 60, we would expect to see many more cancers than in a neighborhood or workplace with diverse ages...."
Link: http://www.state.nj.us/health/cancer/facted2.shtml

Feel well.

Last edited by timneh5; 08-08-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Dpes most of NJ (esp. Princeton) get most of its drinking water from the Raritan and have there been any issues raised about this?

Also where does Basking Ridge get most of its drinking water?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Dpes most of NJ (esp. Princeton) get most of its drinking water from the Raritan and have there been any issues raised about this?
Much of Central NJ does get it's water from the Raritan. (this also includes the Millstone River + some water from the Delaware via the D&R canal). Princeton gets a significant portion of it's drinking water from the Raritan. (as well as other sources, such as groundwater aquifer wells).

As to your second question, there haven't been, I'm not sure why there would be, it's not a particularly contaminated/dirty river upstream where the water is withdrawn (Manville/Bound Brook area). The Lower Raritan is very dirty, down where all the Chemical Coast/Hudson river/harbor pollution flows into it + tidal flows spread contaminants around, that's not where they're pulling water out of the river however.

Also as a reminder, the water is treated/filtered/checked for contaminants. You can find reports here: Find Your Water Quality Report

Quote:
Also where does Basking Ridge get most of its drinking water?
Raritan River.

EDIT: Also, given that this thread seems to be revived, I'll take the time to note that on the chart of "State cancer rates" someone linked, if you switch it to mortality (rates of death from cancer) instead of incidence, you'll find you are actually less likely to die of cancer in NJ than in the average state. Map - State Cancer Profiles

I would suggest that the higher rates in the Northeast are the result of good medical care availability, as well as an educated population that makes getting screenings and such a priority instead of only going to get diagnosed when it's already far too late to do anything for it. But that would also likely inflate incidence rates, as many cancers won't necessarily kill you/be your cause of death without treatment, treatment is often done because of the risk that it MAY suddenly begin progressing rapidly and kill you, not that it is at the moment.

Point being, while I don't dispute that it's almost certainly healthier to live in a pristine environment in Montana or something, I don't think NJ is particularly bad for your health on average. And if you do believe that it'd be healthier to live in that sort of environment, then you need to take into account that NJ is managing better than average rates while being the most urbanized state. (So presumably, if you are going to live in an urban/suburban area, NJ appears to be much healthier than average).

Last edited by millerm277; 08-08-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
EDIT: Also, given that this thread seems to be revived, I'll take the time to note that on the chart of "State cancer rates" someone linked, if you switch it to mortality (rates of death from cancer) instead of incidence, you'll find you are actually less likely to die of cancer in NJ than in the average state. Map - State Cancer Profiles
Interesting. So the south/southeast and some midwest states have the highest cancer mortality rate in the country.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Is a "sick" house or apartment also making you feel sick? There is a lot of mold near the water and if the place you're living in is contaminated with it, you will be ill.

A lot of cancers are slow growing and it's very possible you already had the cancer when you moved to this area. You didn't say where you lived before moving to Toms River. Where did you come from and what part of Toms River did you move to? Be specific with your area so others can offer better information for you. I see you don't live in Toms River; you live in Manchester.

There are other reasons attributed to getting cancer; please read the supplied link. The chance of getting cancer also rises as we age. Are you a senior?

"While cancers occur in people of all ages, incidence rates for most types of cancers rise sharply among people who are over 45 years of age. When a community, neighborhood, or workplace consists primarily of people over the age of 45, and particularly over the age of 60, we would expect to see many more cancers than in a neighborhood or workplace with diverse ages...."
Link: Contact Us, Cancer Resources, NJDOH

Feel well.
I am a senior. The cancer was in the beginning stages, caught very early. No mold here, thank heavens.

However, cancer wasn't the only thing to happen to me since moving here from Buena Vista, near the border of Cumberland and Atlantic counties. Three months ago I developed Dercum's Disease, a very painful condition where multiple lipomas (fatty tumors) grow on the body and can be extremely painful. They appeared almost literally overnight. And funny as it sounds, my hair became very wavy. Yes, I have to laugh but that began to happen just a few months from moving here.

I have never felt so ill and fatigued in my life. When we came here in the hopes of hubby finding work (what a disaster that has been) I did not even know anything about Ocean County and cancer. I'm sure the stress I feel living in such a populated area has something to do with it. I'm a country girl and now we are trying to figure out a way to move somewhere else. You can be sure I will be checking several factors before we do, and not just the health statistics. I miss the peace and quiet and most of all, the very easy driving that comes with rural areas!

Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Another question - I see in areas like Basking Ridge and Princeton (Cherry Valley Rd.) houses with large (0.5+ acres) wooded lots instead of the typical suburban lawns w/ grass. Does this mean that these homeowners do not apply/use lawn chemicals in their properties?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
There is sometimes work being done on rivers by the EPA which will stir up chemical pollutants during the cleanup - that's just another consideration.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:58 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I am a senior. The cancer was in the beginning stages, caught very early. No mold here, thank heavens.

However, cancer wasn't the only thing to happen to me since moving here from Buena Vista, near the border of Cumberland and Atlantic counties. Three months ago I developed Dercum's Disease, a very painful condition where multiple lipomas (fatty tumors) grow on the body and can be extremely painful. They appeared almost literally overnight. And funny as it sounds, my hair became very wavy. Yes, I have to laugh but that began to happen just a few months from moving here.

I have never felt so ill and fatigued in my life. When we came here in the hopes of hubby finding work (what a disaster that has been) I did not even know anything about Ocean County and cancer. I'm sure the stress I feel living in such a populated area has something to do with it. I'm a country girl and now we are trying to figure out a way to move somewhere else. You can be sure I will be checking several factors before we do, and not just the health statistics. I miss the peace and quiet and most of all, the very easy driving that comes with rural areas!

Thanks for the well wishes.
Thank you for providing more information. Hopefully, someone can add more to this to help you. This is interesting, although sorry at your expense. Have you considered living in the Jackson area? It's not as crowded as Manchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey