Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 22,270 times

Advertisements

hello all!
I am a 23 yr old who has grown up in hunterdon county my whole life. working professional, looking to get an apt on my own in early NOV.

at first i was always thinking morristown but its pretty expensive. what does everyone think is better- morristown or montclair, and any particulars of why one over the other??

I would be living on my own and want to stay around $1000 in rent if possible...
i know that means i would be stuck to the houses in morristown which i am fine with, but what is the best way to go about doing it- craigs list or broker?
are there any good complexes in montclair that include parking??

thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khhf4 View Post
I am a 23 yr old who has grown up in hunterdon county my whole life. working professional, looking to get an apt on my own in early NOV.

at first i was always thinking morristown but its pretty expensive. what does everyone think is better- morristown or montclair, and any particulars of why one over the other??
Sounds like you are looking for social central and not a sleepy, boring place. Where's work located?
Morristown is "more hopping" but is also a little stuck up too (re:90s era) relative to Montclair/Clifton/CG area. Take the good w/the bad.

Quote:
i know that means i would be stuck to the houses in morristown which i am fine with, but what is the best way to go about doing it- craigs list or broker?
Avoid brokers by all means. Drill the hell out of craigslist and word of mouth too.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 313,041 times
Try Craigslist - you may be able to find something directly without paying a fee. But I wouldn't rule out a broker altogether - you can ask them to focus on units where the landlord pays the fee. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM

work is bergen county and hudson county (sales territories)
office in newark.
i get reimbursed for mileage though so its not a huge deal for commuting to me. i am driving over an hour now and ive learned to love books on tape

Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,551 times
Quote:
hello all!

I would be living on my own and want to stay around $1000 in rent if possible...
are there any good complexes in montclair that include parking??

thanks for your help!
I would not hold out to much hope of finding much of any apartment in Morristown for $1,000. I have looked for rentals for clients here several times and the majic number for decent apartment seems to be about $1,600 here in Morristown.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 AM

438 posts, read 965,035 times
I'd do morristown over Montclair but they both are fun for the younger crowd

Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
I would not hold out to much hope of finding much of any apartment in Morristown for $1,000. I have looked for rentals for clients here several times and the majic number for decent apartment seems to be about $1,600 here in Morristown.

tis true, my 1 son is paying $1800.00 plus $64.00 a month for parking at the new place on Cattano Ave..personally I think he's nuts....he says more anemities

At one time Mo'town had rent control but that went away afew years ago.

Go there and check out Elm St, there are a few apt complexes with parking and tou are close to the train station..when my son lived there he was paying about $1200.00 for a 2 bedroom, I'm sure that went up after he moved

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM

May want to consider Madison in leiu of Morristown. Next to Morristown, accessible to Morristown (car, train), nicer IMO than Morristown. Probably more sleepy and not "social central" but not far off target perhaps, LOL!!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 PM

thanks everyone for the feedback, ill check out those areas

what does everyone think about living in parsippany????

Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
what does everyone think about living in parsippany????
No way if I was in your shoes. A bit sleepy and MC. Parts of Parsipanny are a dump. The part off RT10 is OK imo. If you are looking to deviate from Morri$town look at Madison and if you are looking to deviate from Montclair maybe look at Verona. Verona would probably be $1200/mo. for 1br.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey