Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,844,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
EXCELLENT point.

It's the same with police, kills me suburban cops who see less action than I did as a student in a JC HS get 6 figures, but go to NYPD and it's now I think $30k per year? Give me a break.

Oh please with the over stated salaries for suburban cops...they do NOT come out of the academy making 6 figures. takes some years to get there
and if you think suburban cops don't have a plate of ***** to deal with think again...suburbia is rife with drugs, many it's heroin and all the petty crime, breakins etc that come with it

That 30k in Ny is for when they are in the academy training which lasts 6-9 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM

249 posts, read 756,446 times
I only work for 10 months and I only get paid for 10 months.

Merit pay: I work in an urban district in Northern NJ. Every September I get a new bunch of students performing far below grade level. I do the best I can to make sure they show growth over the course of the year, but to raise these kids 3 and 4 grade levels in one year is next to impossible. I like working where I do because I love the kids and I see that I am making a difference in their lives. They need good teachers too. Those that support merit pay are going to penalize teachers like me because we choose to work in lower performing areas.

I could get a job in suburban NJ where kids enter school knowing the alphabet and how to spell their names, perhaps even knowing how to read. Kids that have two parents at home, who don't have to wonder where their next meal is coming from and have lives filled with educationally enriched activities. Just because those kids can pass a standardized test doesn't mean that their teachers work harder than I do.

So what's going to happen? You are going to end up having good teachers leave urban schools to move to suburbs where they can get their merit pay raises. Great idea. And what happens to the kids in the urban districts? Schools are not businesses. We're dealing with children here. Teachers should not be getting commission because their students can pass a test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey