Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times

Advertisements

In Las Vegas where I am now we have year round school. Big deal they have AC in all the schools. How much can that cost? Never mind. If govt is involved it gets marked up 100 fold.

Sure their grossly overpaid salaries for what they do is always an issue. Sure the short hours and 9 month school year is always talked about.

Teachers always complain that they work far past the school bell. BS !!! When I left school and was sitting on that bus I remember watching those teachers burning rubber to get out of there. They beat the students home.

We all say we have 2 political parties, The Democraps and the Repukicans but NJ actually has a 3rd political party....the Teachers Union. Some argue they are most powerful party in America. They rarely get accused of corruption but they dont need to be corrupt when they call all the shots and win.

My biggest problem is the useless crap they teach in school. If I were a parent I would be steaming that they cut out most of shops and phys ed classes and replaced them with even more spelling classes.....oops I mean algebra. I'm still waiting for anyone to show me a need for adding letters and no one ever has.

All the useless garbage they teach in these schools and when once those kids walk out those school doors for the last time they cant even explain a can opener. They have no idea how to fill out a job app or balance a check book. But they sure do know how to add A + B = some fake number. If they ever went into a food store and asked for a dozen to the 8th power times X of the square root of a box of eggs the manager would call the men in white jackets to come take them away.

The Teachers Union has the general public so brainwashed into believing how underpaid the poor teachers are and how horrible the benefits are. And the gullible public falls for it. The vast majority of us would trade our private parts for the benefits they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM

148 posts, read 639,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The vast majority of us would trade our private parts for the benefits they get.
the good thing is that you dont have to do anything that extreme (your private parts are safe) ...just go to school for a degree in education and TRY to get a NJ teaching position

Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 PM

148 posts, read 639,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
With all of the complaining that goes on about New Jersey teachers, it makes me wonder, what would make people STOP complaining?

Complaint #1: Teachers only work 10 months a year.

Ok, the way I see there are two solutions. Either sentence teachers to hard labor for July and August, or opt for year round school. Do you really want your kids to go to school year round? Or better yet, do you really want to pay to retrofit every school building with air conditioning? Its one thing to sit in a stuffy room for six hours in early June-it's quite another to do it in mid August.

Complaint #2: Teachers are paid too much.

Let's assume that teachers are still working their normal 10 months per year. What's a fair salary for that amount of work? Before you throw minimum wage out there consider this. A cheap 4 year degree is going to cost at least $40K these days and of course you can't teach without one. How many highly qualified folks are you going to get if they can't start at a half decent salary? This is precisely the reason why we have such shortage of math and science teachers-anyone who is reasonably good at math, biology, chemistry, etc...can easily command a starting salary of $50K+ right out of college in the corporate world-so why the hell would they ever want to teach!? So what's the solution? Halve teacher pay? Quarter it? Put teachers on chain gangs during the summer? Rob children of their summers?

My friend graduated and her first year out of school scored a nursing job with a little over a 50k salary and works four days out of the week...I never once thought..Now why does she only have to work 4 days, why is her work so importance...50k her first year in ATL crazy...la la la...i really dont get the attitude towards teachers...granted, the four days my friend works are not 8 hour days but im sure there are plenty of people that would love to have the schedule some nurses have BUT TOUGH its not the field you went into

Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,339,193 times
First

Teachers in some NJ towns need to lose their god-complex

Second

Teachers need more leniency when it comes to disciplining their students

I have seen way too many brats just walk all over everyone in school

Third

there needs to be an internal affairs bureau to make sure teachers are not giving their favorite students preferential treatment ( i mean like giving them all A's, and being tougher on other kids )

I am serious I have seen this happen

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,048,405 times
I teach in Jersey City and teachers are still underpaid. I have a master's degree and barely break into the 50k and I have lots of school loans to pay.

I think the problem isn't always the teacher. Many of the problems lies within the parents as well. Why isn't anyone checking up on parents to make sure their children are getting the proper nutrition, sleeping the correct amount of time, or giving them love and support at home? Why does everything have to be blamed on the teacher most of the time? Parents are the first teachers in their life and if they do not work hand in hand with the teachers and schools than no teacher can be a miracle worker.

I've had children in my class with autism, behavioral problems, and depression. I would say about %80 of the parents of these children just don't care and get no support at home. You do what you can if the parent doesn't want to sign off on any help then the school has their hands tied. This is what causes children to fail and have learning disabilities undiagnosed as well.

Teachers don't just work 10 months out of the year or until 3pm. I don't know any teacher whose job stops at 3pm. There is always something to do outside of the classroom and so many times I have to spend my own money on paper, laminitating, supplies, etc. Who is reimbursing me for this??? noone So knock out more of my salary.

I bet if people at offices, hospitals, and other places had to buy much of their own tools and supplies they wouldn't want to work there.

If you think teachers are so overpaid and do no work then go ahead and get a position as one and stop whining. Then see if you don't have the same rants as everyone else.
Yes there are bad teachers out there that definitely don't deserve to be tenured and only have jobs because of who they know, but the majority of teachers do want to help and they shouldn't be punished when the administration, local government, and parents don't do their jobs either.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM

I definitely think that children and teens also need to be taught life lessons they will need as they mature:

basic cooking skills, nutrition, making your own clothes and other items (like former home ec.)

personal finance (teach them about how important it will be to save for the future, control debt, balancing checkbooks, and learning about basic financial jargon)

Maybe also some basic skills about home repair

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM

792 posts, read 3,139,249 times
Quote:
With all of the complaining that goes on about New Jersey teachers, it makes me wonder, what would make people STOP complaining?
The teachers and cops take a SERIOUS pay cap/cut with 401ks replacing the pension.

Enough is enough BS with these out of control pensions, get rid of the pensions NOW.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,357,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I teach in Jersey City and teachers are still underpaid. I have a master's degree and barely break into the 50k and I have lots of school loans to pay.

I think the problem isn't always the teacher. Many of the problems lies within the parents as well. Why isn't anyone checking up on parents to make sure their children are getting the proper nutrition, sleeping the correct amount of time, or giving them love and support at home? Why does everything have to be blamed on the teacher most of the time? Parents are the first teachers in their life and if they do not work hand in hand with the teachers and schools than no teacher can be a miracle worker.

I've had children in my class with autism, behavioral problems, and depression. I would say about %80 of the parents of these children just don't care and get no support at home. You do what you can if the parent doesn't want to sign off on any help then the school has their hands tied. This is what causes children to fail and have learning disabilities undiagnosed as well.

Teachers don't just work 10 months out of the year or until 3pm. I don't know any teacher whose job stops at 3pm. There is always something to do outside of the classroom and so many times I have to spend my own money on paper, laminitating, supplies, etc. Who is reimbursing me for this??? noone So knock out more of my salary.

I bet if people at offices, hospitals, and other places had to buy much of their own tools and supplies they wouldn't want to work there.

If you think teachers are so overpaid and do no work then go ahead and get a position as one and stop whining. Then see if you don't have the same rants as everyone else.
Yes there are bad teachers out there that definitely don't deserve to be tenured and only have jobs because of who they know, but the majority of teachers do want to help and they shouldn't be punished when the administration, local government, and parents don't do their jobs either.
Very true!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:29 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:

Complaint #1: Teachers only work 10 months a year.

Ok, the way I see there are two solutions. Either sentence teachers to hard labor for July and August, or opt for year round school. Do you really want your kids to go to school year round? Or better yet, do you really want to pay to retrofit every school building with air conditioning? Its one thing to sit in a stuffy room for six hours in early June-it's quite another to do it in mid August.

Complaint #2: Teachers are paid too much.

Let's assume that teachers are still working their normal 10 months per year. What's a fair salary for that amount of work? Before you throw minimum wage out there consider this. A cheap 4 year degree is going to cost at least $40K these days and of course you can't teach without one. How many highly qualified folks are you going to get if they can't start at a half decent salary? This is precisely the reason why we have such shortage of math and science teachers-anyone who is reasonably good at math, biology, chemistry, etc...can easily command a starting salary of $50K+ right out of college in the corporate world-so why the hell would they ever want to teach!? So what's the solution? Halve teacher pay? Quarter it? Put teachers on chain gangs during the summer? Rob children of their summers?
I don't have a problem with what some teachers make, I've looked at the salaries of a lot of my daughters old teachers and thought that it was fair. Some were making in the 30's, while another was over $50k. The one getting paid more was in the child study team and I can tell you she worked her butt off, even during the summer. She was also available for parents on weekends/after school via email, some of us had her cell (not that I used that). Another teacher, a special ed math teacher also gave her home number and used to call every now and then to check in, she also emailed frequently.

My problem is with the teachers that go to work every day and forget the kids are people too with feelings. They forget that kids have a lot on their plate these days, if a kid acts out (mouth wise) they immediately write them up, next thing you know they are suspended. Had these teachers taken the time to see why the child was like that, took the kid outside of the room to speak to them the child would have respected the teacher in the end. Who knows what is going on at home, or one year a classmate died, my daughter couldn't go to the classes the classmate was in, no one cared why until I had a meeting with the one I mentioned up top. My daughters classes were changed, she was better. The school didn't have any kind of assembly about the classmate dying, was supposed to bring in counseling but didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Teachers need more leniency when it comes to disciplining their students
IMO, bringing back writing I will not do such & such 100 times would be an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
there needs to be an internal affairs bureau to make sure teachers are not giving their favorite students preferential treatment ( i mean like giving them all A's, and being tougher on other kids )
How about there is a dress code for everyone but the "good" students.
The principal of Burlington County Tech told me that "um, most teachers will overlook hoodies or slippers if the kid sits and is good" How about the 2 girls I saw every day that went to school in PJ's that got away with it? Unreal.

Quote:
How long have you been teaching?
IMO $50k isn't chump change. I know people that work just as hard if not harder and make less.
How many teachers in your school make that much? How are the taxes in the town?

Quote:
You're right a lot of parents don't care but what I see is that since parents don't care, teachers don't either.

Quote:
Well, I am a parent that does care and has spent many hours at school. There were weeks where I was at school almost every day.

Years ago I tried to get my kid classified, yet the school kept denying me. Eventually I had to get an advocate and you know what? I eventually got her an IEP. My kid lost 2 or 3 years of learning due to the school.

Quote:
Seriously, how many other professions do you think people pay for their own stuff? My hubby a truck driver, has to buy stuff to have just in case there is a hydrolic oil spill, his company doesn't pay for it. Then there is gloves, clothing, shoes. He also comes home and does paperwork.

Might I suggest you type up a list of supplies you use at school and send it home with the kids on their 1st day of school? A few of my daughters teachers did this. There were stickers (so the teacher could give stickers and not pay for it) note paper (so she could send notes home) packs of #2 pencils - so that kids not having them could write. She also used stampers & regular paper. Parents gladly sent it in. Instead of a Christmas gift she couldn't use, I loaded up a container of this stuff so she had it for the rest of the year, think I did the same at the end of the year so she had it for next year. Parents like when teachers let them know what they can do.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 AM

Roselvr

We're not allowed to demand the parents to bring anything in this district. If the parents don't send in the supplies then we are not allowed to ask. How fair is that? ONly in nearby Hoboken do teachers get a lot. REmember this is JC. Once in a while I do get parents that ask how they could help.

This is my fifth year teaching so I know people in other fields that make much more than that just out of college. In Hudson County, JC pays the highest as well.
The horrible thing about moving to another city would be taking a big pay cut. When one works in a new teaaching district the Board of Education usually starts out you their lowest paying level again. That's not fair. What can you really do with 50K in NJ? Not much. My net take home is around 35k minus everything I buy for the class. Can't buy a house on my own. I don't even have any debt, live in a tiny apt. in not such a great place, pay my school loans and drive a ten year old car.

I know of a few professions that do have to buy their own supplies, but then again those are the ones that get tired of it as well and rant about it. I hate hearing people that work at offices complaining about how bad they have it when most of the day they spend it drinking coffee, going on the internet, chatting, hiding in a cubicle, and going out for smokes. I know; I worked in the corporate world and I've seen all this.

If all superintendents and other nonsense positions at the board of ed. took pay cuts that would help a lot. The superintendent in JC makes over150k and he doesn't even do anything. Education is too corrupt in many places and it's no wonder the USA is slipping in standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey