Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

Why cant teachers buy their own supplies? The tools of their trade.

Carpenters have to buy their own tools
Auto Mechanics have to buy their own tools
Plumbers have to buy their own tools

Employers do not supply tools. Why should it be any different for teachers? Maybe the big bad Teachers Union brainwashed us into believing we should?

Besides....what are the tools of a Teachers trade? Pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Geez man you can go to Walgreens and buy that stuff for pennies on sale. My tools for my job cost me thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:48 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Roselvr

We're not allowed to demand the parents to bring anything in this district. If the parents don't send in the supplies then we are not allowed to ask. How fair is that? ONly in nearby Hoboken do teachers get a lot. REmember this is JC. Once in a while I do get parents that ask how they could help.
So, you can't send home a welcome letter that lists the kids will need such & such?

Quote:
This is my fifth year teaching so I know people in other fields that make much more than that just out of college. In Hudson County, JC pays the highest as well.
The horrible thing about moving to another city would be taking a big pay cut. When one works in a new teaaching district the Board of Education usually starts out you their lowest paying level again. That's not fair. What can you really do with 50K in NJ? Not much. My net take home is around 35k minus everything I buy for the class. Can't buy a house on my own. I don't even have any debt, live in a tiny apt. in not such a great place, pay my school loans and drive a ten year old car.
You and a lot of other people are in the same boat. I used to do heavy labor and wasn't paid much. These days people have to have 2 income families in order to buy a house.

Maybe it's worth looking into a town like Browns Mills in south jersey (where I just moved out of). Houses are cheaper, taxes are cheaper. I know of a great 3 bedroom 1 bath house for under $125k. Of course you'd need a job down there, but Pemberton Township schools pay pretty decent.

Quote:
If all superintendents and other nonsense positions at the board of ed. took pay cuts that would help a lot. The superintendent in JC makes over150k and he doesn't even do anything. Education is too corrupt in many places and it's no wonder the USA is slipping in standards.
You're right. I looked at the salary of the high school principal and was shocked.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM

btw, that one lady in child study, she used to buy everything herself. If a kid was interested in beading, making necklaces, she would go out and purchase beads. She bought so much stuff on her own. Then you have incentives for the kids, lunch from wawa or burger king. I don't know how she did it but I can tell you she made a difference in my daughters life. I used to give her thank you cards, emails, was shocked that I was the only parent that expressed my appreciation.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
What I would like teachers to do um ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,got it, vote republician!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Employers do not supply tools. Why should it be any different for teachers? Maybe the big bad Teachers Union brainwashed us into believing we should?

Besides....what are the tools of a Teachers trade? Pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Geez man you can go to Walgreens and buy that stuff for pennies on sale. My tools for my job cost me thousands.
Do office workers have to buy their own office supplies? How about computers? Do factory workers have to buy their own tools? Do police officers have to buy their own cars? How about firefighters? Do they buy their own turnout gear? Very poor analogy.

By your logic teachers should make minimum wage AND have to buy every sheet of paper, every pen and pencil, every eraser, etc...their students use. Should they all chip in to pay the electric and gas bills for the building too? Congratulations, by paying every teacher $25K a year and saddling them with $10K in expenses every year you've just guaranteed that no one would ever be able to teach AND live in New Jersey! What's your solution? Bring back slavery? Seriously, enough of these wild baseless claims from education hating Republicans-what is the solution?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

I buy supplies for myself and that is not the point. The point is I have to buy the supplies for the CHILDREN as well. Take into account that can be about 20 kids sometimes. The school won't provide them. They've always just "run out" Yes carpenters, plumbers, and many other people also that may be self employed as many of those occupations are, then they have to buy their own things. Besides, tools last a long time. Teachers have to buy things that get used up on a constant basis.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Do office workers have to buy their own office supplies? How about computers? Do factory workers have to buy their own tools? Do police officers have to buy their own cars? How about firefighters? Do they buy their own turnout gear? Very poor analogy.

By your logic teachers should make minimum wage AND have to buy every sheet of paper, every pen and pencil, every eraser, etc...their students use. Should they all chip in to pay the electric and gas bills for the building too? Congratulations, by paying every teacher $25K a year and saddling them with $10K in expenses every year you've just guaranteed that no one would ever be able to teach AND live in New Jersey! What's your solution? Bring back slavery? Seriously, enough of these wild baseless claims from education hating Republicans-what is the solution?

Thank you! good points

Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 AM

792 posts, read 3,138,049 times
Vote for McCain, vote in Republicans for NJ next time around.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I buy supplies for myself and that is not the point. The point is I have to buy the supplies for the CHILDREN as well. Take into account that can be about 20 kids sometimes. The school won't provide them. They've always just "run out" Yes carpenters, plumbers, and many other people also that may be self employed as many of those occupations are, then they have to buy their own things. Besides, tools last a long time. Teachers have to buy things that get used up on a constant basis.
I have an idea... (run)...

Do you think there is enough interest in people donating items that get put in a pile, then given to teachers according to need?

I have tons (well not tons, but enough) of stuff that I bought my daughter and don't use. I've just given away 2 brand new (still tagged) lunch boxes my daughter didn't like, I probably have notebooks (wide ruled) as well as pencils, pens, erasers, maybe even book covers. I don't doubt other parents have excess stuff as well. If it was some how organized by county, I bet a lot of stuff would get donated.

Someone can make a web site at one of the free sites, do blogs, post here.

Can even organize donations of clothing & back packs. I used to drop clothes off to the school nurse, most parents don't know that some nurses work with charities or will use the stuff during the day when kids spill something on themselves. What the nurse didn't need for the school she donated to families she knew could use it or to the local charity.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default Don't worry... Be happy!

One thing is certain... whenever the general discussion involves the cost of education, the magnitude of ignorance demonstrated in the replies is overwhelming.

On one hand, there are those who won't be happy with controlling the cost of education until they see every teacher in line at the soup kitchens. On the other hand, some won't be happy until each teacher has a golden throne to sit upon.

If you're frustrated because you think teachers get paid too much, the solution is simple: join them! Become a teacher. That way, you'll be made happy in one of two ways. 1) You too will be overpaid as a teacher, or 2) You'll realize that maybe teachers aren't overpaid after all. Either way, you'll be happy!

If you're a teacher who thinks you're underpaid, the solution is equally simple: quit! Find something else to do to earn a living. That way, you'll be made happy in one of two ways. 1) You will no longer be underpaid as you labor in your new profession, or 2) You'll realize that maybe teachers aren't underpaid after all. Either way, you'll be happy!

Whatever camp you're in, be aware that Mr. Market eventually reverts all things to the mean, including teachers' salaries and the other costs of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey