Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
btw, that one lady in child study, she used to buy everything herself. If a kid was interested in beading, making necklaces, she would go out and purchase beads. She bought so much stuff on her own. Then you have incentives for the kids, lunch from wawa or burger king. I don't know how she did it but I can tell you she made a difference in my daughters life. I used to give her thank you cards, emails, was shocked that I was the only parent that expressed my appreciation.
They do do it because they are highly dedicated and put their students above everything. For so many teachers their career is more than a job or profession it's really a calling.

Not all teachers can afford to the things you mentioned and really wish they could. Most make a lot of sacrifices for their students.

I am sure, as a former teacher, your notes were highly appreciated.

Many teachers save those thank you notes forever to look at and remind themselves on bad days that they do make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have an idea... (run)...

Do you think there is enough interest in people donating items that get put in a pile, then given to teachers according to need?

I have tons (well not tons, but enough) of stuff that I bought my daughter and don't use. I've just given away 2 brand new (still tagged) lunch boxes my daughter didn't like, I probably have notebooks (wide ruled) as well as pencils, pens, erasers, maybe even book covers. I don't doubt other parents have excess stuff as well. If it was some how organized by county, I bet a lot of stuff would get donated.

Someone can make a web site at one of the free sites, do blogs, post here.

Can even organize donations of clothing & back packs. I used to drop clothes off to the school nurse, most parents don't know that some nurses work with charities or will use the stuff during the day when kids spill something on themselves. What the nurse didn't need for the school she donated to families she knew could use it or to the local charity.
I think stuff like that is done town to town and in many churches. My sister buys a new backpack and all supplies for a child and her church brings them to areas that need it.

When we lived in Cranford they had a group called Cranford Family Cares and they did similar collections.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why cant teachers buy their own supplies? The tools of their trade.

Carpenters have to buy their own tools
Auto Mechanics have to buy their own tools
Plumbers have to buy their own tools

Employers do not supply tools. Why should it be any different for teachers? Maybe the big bad Teachers Union brainwashed us into believing we should?

Besides....what are the tools of a Teachers trade? Pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Geez man you can go to Walgreens and buy that stuff for pennies on sale. My tools for my job cost me thousands.

Ummm how long does a screw driver or hammer last? You do not, I imagine, buy all new tools for every job. Likewise teachers buy things that that, they, themselves, can use for years (stamps, professional books, decorations and it really is an endless list...)

Why should teachers have to buy markers, pencils, scissors, glue, crayons and paper to name a few things for her students? That falls under parent or school responsibility.

Every service person who I have used charges for parts and labor. I imagine you do the same..no??

Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
I just want to comment on one thing, not trying to redirect the thread. I wanted to say that despite minor differences in opinion on this thread there is still an obvious support for education and educators. It's that respect and support for education within our communities that makes for the great school systems within this state. Any teacher will tell you that teachers have a great appreciation for this type of support from the community, it really makes a tremendous difference. I'm a teacher in NJ and just wanted to say thank you for that. NJ rocks.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Do office workers have to buy their own office supplies? How about computers? Do factory workers have to buy their own tools? Do police officers have to buy their own cars? How about firefighters? Do they buy their own turnout gear? Very poor analogy.

By your logic teachers should make minimum wage AND have to buy every sheet of paper, every pen and pencil, every eraser, etc...their students use. Should they all chip in to pay the electric and gas bills for the building too? Congratulations, by paying every teacher $25K a year and saddling them with $10K in expenses every year you've just guaranteed that no one would ever be able to teach AND live in New Jersey! What's your solution? Bring back slavery? Seriously, enough of these wild baseless claims from education hating Republicans-what is the solution?
Say what you want. Call me what you want. I am not a Republican nor any of those other parties you all play by. You are a card carrying member of the Teachers Union Party. Thats your problem not mine.

And stop whining about your pay. You are the most grossly over paid professions on earth......ummmm except politicos and movie stars.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Say what you want. Call me what you want. I am not a Republican nor any of those other parties you all play by. You are a card carrying member of the Teachers Union Party. Thats your problem not mine.

And stop whining about your pay. You are the most grossly over paid professions on earth......ummmm except politicos and movie stars.
that would be spot on......if badfish was a teacher.

it's a shame you don't value education. your anger about everything is palpable. another country may suit you better, check it out.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that would be spot on......if badfish was a teacher.

it's a shame you don't value education. your anger about everything is palpable. another country may suit you better, check it out.
Sorry, I couldn't give you reps but would REALLY, REALLY like to.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Sorry, I couldn't give you reps but would REALLY, REALLY like to.
Don't worry t, I did! I may not like high taxes, but education is another matter entirely. I've never met someone who was over-educated (in the best meaning of it) and I suspect I never will! Learning is a continuous process that never ends!
l

Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Don't worry t, I did!
Thanks! I was hoping somebody would.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness. I couldn't of laughed any harder after reading this. So teachers, politicians, and movie stars are the most overpaid people?

wooo watch out Tom Cruise.. I might just catch up to him with my 50k or Bloomberg's billions... Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey