Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In Las Vegas where I am now we have year round school. Big deal they have AC in all the schools. How much can that cost? Never mind. If govt is involved it gets marked up 100 fold.

Sure their grossly overpaid salaries for what they do is always an issue. Sure the short hours and 9 month school year is always talked about.

Teachers always complain that they work far past the school bell. BS !!! When I left school and was sitting on that bus I remember watching those teachers burning rubber to get out of there. They beat the students home.

We all say we have 2 political parties, The Democraps and the Repukicans but NJ actually has a 3rd political party....the Teachers Union. Some argue they are most powerful party in America. They rarely get accused of corruption but they dont need to be corrupt when they call all the shots and win.

My biggest problem is the useless crap they teach in school. If I were a parent I would be steaming that they cut out most of shops and phys ed classes and replaced them with even more spelling classes.....oops I mean algebra. I'm still waiting for anyone to show me a need for adding letters and no one ever has.

All the useless garbage they teach in these schools and when once those kids walk out those school doors for the last time they cant even explain a can opener. They have no idea how to fill out a job app or balance a check book. But they sure do know how to add A + B = some fake number. If they ever went into a food store and asked for a dozen to the 8th power times X of the square root of a box of eggs the manager would call the men in white jackets to come take them away.

The Teachers Union has the general public so brainwashed into believing how underpaid the poor teachers are and how horrible the benefits are. And the gullible public falls for it. The vast majority of us would trade our private parts for the benefits they get.
The ability to "add letters" is one of the things that separates Finance majors who'll eventually go on to earn 6 figures/year(and perhaps even more) from average joes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM

276 posts, read 1,459,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
My friend graduated and her first year out of school scored a nursing job with a little over a 50k salary and works four days out of the week...I never once thought..Now why does she only have to work 4 days, why is her work so importance...50k her first year in ATL crazy...la la la...i really dont get the attitude towards teachers...granted, the four days my friend works are not 8 hour days but im sure there are plenty of people that would love to have the schedule some nurses have BUT TOUGH its not the field you went into

The difference is that your friend probably works four 10-12 hour shifts, which is still more than teachers work. She is required to agree to mandatory overtime (in case a patient decides to code as she is walking out the door). There is no, "I'm sorry, I have to pick the kids up from the babysitter". You literally have a person's life on the line. I guarantee your nurse friend does not get 12 weeks of vacation a year - it's more likely 3, if she is lucky. So yes, 50K does not seem like alot to me for this kind of work.

I sincerely hope you never have a heart attack, vomit all over yourself, and then need a nurse to suction it up so that she can start CPR and administer life saving drugs. It's a thankless job.

Hijack over.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
that would be spot on......if badfish was a teacher.

it's a shame you don't value education. your anger about everything is palpable. another country may suit you better, check it out.
I never seen you be mean before tahiti. Sorry if I tipped your lid on that one. Im not so sure I dont value education like you said but I sure do have a problem with todays curriculum.

It sure is funny. Most of us remember the useless crap they teach in school. But when you are older you will defend that crap when it is your kids learning it. Or trying to learn it. Memories are short.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
>1. I would like to see tenure abolished. Period.

2. I would like to see some degree of merit pay for teachers that consistently do "well." How to measure this would take some working out, but it would be based in part on test scores.

3. Teachers should have to pay more of their own money for benefits. Teachers I know get unreal benefits.<

QFT

I have ZERO problem with the cash part... at least on the surface. See below.

The bennies are FAR above normal. 2.5 months off is NOT normal. + spring break + winter break +holidays. We will chalk this one up to being a teacher. The health insurance is FAR better and cheaper. The pension is simply unavailable to the vast majority of people.

The union contract sets the pay and that is a problem. X years + Y degree = Z pay ALWAYS. My 2nd grade teacher is underpaid at 100K a year. My 7th grade teacher should have paid me 100K a year. I would not pee on him if he were on fire. I just might if he weren’t.

Merit pay. Johnny Poorboy enters 3rd grade. Skills as measured by standard test = 2nd grade at beginning of year.

Teacher X: Johnny Poorboy leaves with 2nd grade skills = bad (+nothing)
Teacher Y: Johnny Poorboy leaves with 3rd grade skills = did job (+1 year)
Teacher Z: Johnny Poorboy leaves with 4th grade skills = great job (+2 years)

If teachers are underpaid why is there a line to become one in this state? The cash… fine. Leave it. Bennies..UGH!

I would love to see a statistic:

Of all married couples with 2 working spouses, only one of which is employed in the public sector; what percent use the Teachers Union health benefits vs. standard private sector health benefits.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
I have 4 children that were educated thru public schools in NJ. I have had not one problem with the teachers. There union NJEA is good for them and is strong. More power to ya. Where have all the good unions gone. To the people that despise the teachers, there is an old saying if you can't beat um join em. Sour grapes.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 43,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
The teachers and cops take a SERIOUS pay cap/cut with 401ks replacing the pension.

Enough is enough BS with these out of control pensions, get rid of the pensions NOW.
I don't understand the complaining with the pensions. Teachers have to pay 5.5% of their salary towards their pension every paycheck. The pension is not free. My husband who works in the insurance field puts the same amount, and HIS COMPANY MATCHES HIS CONTRIBUTIONS. In 5 years, he can go anywhere he wants with his 401K -- he can change his job and work in another field. A teacher cannot get their full pension if they don't work at least 25 years. And if they try to take their money out w/less than 25 years of service, then they get the money they contribute, no more and no less. While w/ a 401K, it is being invested.

Same thing with health benefits; every district is different. Some districts provide only the teacher with free benefits and they have to pay for the dependents. I've heard that Verizon also provides their employees with free benefits. If you're so eager for free benefits, work at Verizon.

Last edited by clearwater80; 08-25-2008 at 09:36 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 AM

438 posts, read 965,445 times
everyone here whines and complains... if you think teachers have it so damn good, go be one.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Oh my goodness. I couldn't of laughed any harder after reading this. So teachers, politicians, and movie stars are the most overpaid people?

wooo watch out Tom Cruise.. I might just catch up to him with my 50k or Bloomberg's billions... Thanks for the laugh.
Yeah, the next time you see them at a party, you can tell Tom George and Brad (you are on a first name basis, aren't you?) that I said hi.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Roselvr

We're not allowed to demand the parents to bring anything in this district. If the parents don't send in the supplies then we are not allowed to ask. How fair is that? ONly in nearby Hoboken do teachers get a lot. REmember this is JC. Once in a while I do get parents that ask how they could help.
How does one find out the local laws/rules?
School just started in our new town, my daughter once again brought home the teacher lists, although this year there was a new message at the bottom of the page.. it was due Monday and they said the child would be getting a grade on the supplies they brought in.

I ask, how can this be legal? A kid shouldn't be graded on what they bring in.

Two or 3 asked for a large binder - I had the thin ones. I can't imagine how heavy her backpack will be carrying three 2"-3" binders
Then they wanted 3 subject notebooks - I had single because that's what the old teachers wanted. So now, not only are we filling the 3 inch think binder with paper, they want a 3 subject notebook on top of it.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How does one find out the local laws/rules?
School just started in our new town, my daughter once again brought home the teacher lists, although this year there was a new message at the bottom of the page.. it was due Monday and they said the child would be getting a grade on the supplies they brought in.

I ask, how can this be legal? A kid shouldn't be graded on what they bring in.

Two or 3 asked for a large binder - I had the thin ones. I can't imagine how heavy her backpack will be carrying three 2"-3" binders
Then they wanted 3 subject notebooks - I had single because that's what the old teachers wanted. So now, not only are we filling the 3 inch think binder with paper, they want a 3 subject notebook on top of it.
Wow that sounds ridiculous. I don't see how they could grade her on her classroom supplies either. Is this a public or private school?

Good luck... it sounds like it will be a costly year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey