Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Reputation: 1189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Ummm how long does a screw driver or hammer last? You do not, I imagine, buy all new tools for every job. Likewise teachers buy things that that, they, themselves, can use for years (stamps, professional books, decorations and it really is an endless list...)

Why should teachers have to buy markers, pencils, scissors, glue, crayons and paper to name a few things for her students? That falls under parent or school responsibility.

Every service person who I have used charges for parts and labor. I imagine you do the same..no??
The school districts should certainly provide basic supplies for the classroom. They did when I was in school. This is a newer phenomenon. We never "ran out" of paper or the like.

And yes, parents SHOULD be responsible to buy supplies for their kids...not desks, chairs and books... but come on... EVERYONE I know just got their "You need 2 composition books, 3 3-subject books with perforated tear sides, 10 blue pens, etc..." lists...everyone. So I think parents still supply this. I can see in poorer districts it being a problem.

But as far as "donating" I have donated to some teachers I know that teach in CATHOLIC schools....because if you want to talk about doing the job and being paid crap....they'd FAINT if someone gave them $50k a year, great benefits and a huge pension. And they buy almost all the supplies. One teacher I know told me she gets $50 a YEAR allowance for supplies...what is that? She's lucky if she is making $30,000. Catholic school teachers are either there until they can get into a public district OR they are doing because they really love what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM
 
217 posts, read 1,148,323 times
Reputation: 122
I got the meanest teacher in all the land of jersey.. ms. manning... ! damn, she is the meanest teacher i have. i can deal with the rest but manning is just a cringe waitin to be punched in the face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Wow that sounds ridiculous. I don't see how they could grade her on her classroom supplies either. Is this a public or private school?

Good luck... it sounds like it will be a costly year.
OMG that is NUTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Reputation: 1189
LOOK - I think teaching is a very honorable profession. I really considered going into it myself. But I laugh because I think back to 1988, I was starting college and I wanted to be a teacher and my fiance (at the time...dumped him. LOL) wanted to be a police officer. I remember everyone saying "Oh you two will be SO poor." Uhm, not really. We would have done QUITE nicely.

If you factor in benefits, teachers and police in the state of NJ are VERY well paid. The unions have a stranglehold. I love some of the districts that have "Parents Night" during the day now because the teachers don't want to come back at night! I can imagine me telling my boss, "No, I'm not going to do employee training 4x a year at night because I don't want to." Can you say unemployment line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
The school districts should certainly provide basic supplies for the classroom. They did when I was in school. This is a newer phenomenon. We never "ran out" of paper or the like.

And yes, parents SHOULD be responsible to buy supplies for their kids...not desks, chairs and books... but come on... EVERYONE I know just got their "You need 2 composition books, 3 3-subject books with perforated tear sides, 10 blue pens, etc..." lists...everyone. So I think parents still supply this. I can see in poorer districts it being a problem.

But as far as "donating" I have donated to some teachers I know that teach in CATHOLIC schools....because if you want to talk about doing the job and being paid crap....they'd FAINT if someone gave them $50k a year, great benefits and a huge pension. And they buy almost all the supplies. One teacher I know told me she gets $50 a YEAR allowance for supplies...what is that? She's lucky if she is making $30,000. Catholic school teachers are either there until they can get into a public district OR they are doing because they really love what they do.

Trust me, I know. I taught in Catholic daycare for years after college. I had no insurance, no paid sick days and no paid vacation or holidays.

Like most Catholic school teachers, I did it for the dedication and belief in what I was accomplishing.

However when they passed around the collection plate for extras like plowing or paving the parking lot, my hubby always said your job is donation enough.

Catholic school teachers get a bum wrap far too often in pay and in public perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Trust me, I know. I taught in Catholic daycare for years after college. I had no insurance, no paid sick days and no paid vacation or holidays.

Like most Catholic school teachers, I did it for the dedication and belief in what I was accomplishing.

However when they passed around the collection plate for extras like plowing or paving the parking lot, my hubby always said your job is donation enough.

Catholic school teachers get a bum wrap far too often in pay and in public perception.
LOL - your hubby was 100% right!

I'm a big proponent of Catholic Schools. (That said, like Public, there are excellent, good, fair and poor Catholic Schools...) I have my kids in what I think is a very good to excellent school - they are doing well academically and it's so much more. Most of their teachers have been at the school for a long time and they are so loving and dedicated. They are there because of the kids, not worrying about the next contract or anything of that sort. I always try to do all I can for them.

My friend in another school is the one that gets $50 a year for supplies. When I found that out I started giving her some of the stuff we were not using anymore at work (like when we changed printers and had to rid ourselves of 3 boxes of plain paper...) and I always get little things when I see them on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
 
148 posts, read 639,770 times
Reputation: 68
well i have joined the ranks of NJ teachers. This is my first year and there is already a new teacher saying that she may be in the wrong profession, lol. For her it looked ALOT easier on the outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
LOL - your hubby was 100% right!

I'm a big proponent of Catholic Schools. (That said, like Public, there are excellent, good, fair and poor Catholic Schools...) I have my kids in what I think is a very good to excellent school - they are doing well academically and it's so much more. Most of their teachers have been at the school for a long time and they are so loving and dedicated. They are there because of the kids, not worrying about the next contract or anything of that sort. I always try to do all I can for them.

My friend in another school is the one that gets $50 a year for supplies. When I found that out I started giving her some of the stuff we were not using anymore at work (like when we changed printers and had to rid ourselves of 3 boxes of plain paper...) and I always get little things when I see them on sale.
You can't begin to imagine how much those donations mean to them.

When I moved on my boss was always amazed at how resourceful I was and could make anything into a game. All that Catholic school training came in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:16 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
well i have joined the ranks of NJ teachers. This is my first year and there is already a new teacher saying that she may be in the wrong profession, lol. For her it looked ALOT easier on the outside
Good for you! I always wanted to teach, still do... talk of going back, but it has to wait for now. I'd love to teach in Catholic School IF I can swing that financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
well i have joined the ranks of NJ teachers. This is my first year and there is already a new teacher saying that she may be in the wrong profession, lol. For her it looked ALOT easier on the outside
Give it time. My first year was absolutely awful. I could deal with all the hard work but was never prepared with how to deal with such difficult behavior. Respect and good behavior was not given for a long time.


Save all the thank you cards and little things in a box to take out on days when you ask yourself what the heck are you doing this for... It will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top