Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,964,124 times

Advertisements

You know it is funny - one reason I chose not to put my kids into Public school is the mandates. First, teaching to the test is the norm since 'NCLB' (don't ask for my opinion on that little bit of legislation). And I don't like the overly strict guidelines of how to deal with each situation.

A friend who teaches in Roselle had a child return to class after her fathers death. On the first day she (this was 1st grade) broke down into tears and my friend said "I just wanted to hold her and tell her it was ok." Well, she did and she was reprimanded by the principal because guidelines strictly forbid hugging a child. Now, I KNOW we have to have guildelines. I understand child abuse is a problem, but you can not mandate every situation. In a situation like this, I would have done the same as my friend does.

Now - in ANY school today I have to admit I would HATE dealing with 50-80% of the parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM

23,892 posts, read 33,633,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Wow that sounds ridiculous. I don't see how they could grade her on her classroom supplies either. Is this a public or private school?
Public school.

Quote:
Good luck... it sounds like it will be a costly year.
I spent about $75. Nothing was on sale and the supplies I already had, I did buy on sale, but they didn't want what I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
The school districts should certainly provide basic supplies for the classroom. They did when I was in school. This is a newer phenomenon. We never "ran out" of paper or the like.

And yes, parents SHOULD be responsible to buy supplies for their kids...not desks, chairs and books... but come on... EVERYONE I know just got their "You need 2 composition books, 3 3-subject books with perforated tear sides, 10 blue pens, etc..." lists...everyone. So I think parents still supply this. I can see in poorer districts it being a problem.
I don't have a problem with buying my kid what she needs, binder, paper, pens/pencils but when it's dictated then a grade given in BS. What is the difference between a 1" binder and a 3" one? The kid has a binder & it's new. Also the paper, a one subject is just as good as a 3 or 5. My kid has paper.

I also have composition books, of course no one asked for those this year. lol

Going to have to email the teachers that were giving a grade to see if they gave her credit for bringing stuff.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM

23,892 posts, read 33,633,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
You know it is funny - one reason I chose not to put my kids into Public school is the mandates. First, teaching to the test is the norm since 'NCLB' (don't ask for my opinion on that little bit of legislation). And I don't like the overly strict guidelines of how to deal with each situation.

A friend who teaches in Roselle had a child return to class after her fathers death. On the first day she (this was 1st grade) broke down into tears and my friend said "I just wanted to hold her and tell her it was ok." Well, she did and she was reprimanded by the principal because guidelines strictly forbid hugging a child. Now, I KNOW we have to have guildelines. I understand child abuse is a problem, but you can not mandate every situation. In a situation like this, I would have done the same as my friend does.

Now - in ANY school today I have to admit I would HATE dealing with 50-80% of the parents!
My daughter has been that kid and not one teacher had any empathy for her. Ok I lied, one did.

Quote:
Trust me, I know. I taught in Catholic daycare for years after college. I had no insurance, no paid sick days and no paid vacation or holidays.

Like most Catholic school teachers, I did it for the dedication and belief in what I was accomplishing.

However when they passed around the collection plate for extras like plowing or paving the parking lot, my hubby always said your job is donation enough.

Catholic school teachers get a bum wrap far too often in pay and in public perception.
The amazing thing is how can they not be paid decent with how much tuition is? You don't have to answer that...

Old 09-09-2008, 05:21 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My daughter has been that kid and not one teacher had any empathy for her. Ok I lied, one did.

The amazing thing is how can they not be paid decent with how much tuition is? You don't have to answer that...
Because the Catholic schools still have to buy all the text books, programs, supplies and computers etc. If we were ever lucky enough to have a voucher system, people would be allowed to pick where their child was going to school ensuring a more competitive/quality education. That would also help to pay private teachers more.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,489,595 times
Quote:
Because the Catholic schools still have to buy all the text books, programs, supplies and computers etc. If we were ever lucky enough to have a voucher system, people would be allowed to pick where their child was going to school ensuring a more competitive/quality education. That would also help to pay private teachers more.
Catholic school teachers, who in my opinon are above reproach, do a wonderful job. They ain't there for the paycheck, the union benefits, the tenure.

It's not easy to teach at most private schools...all those teachers are underpaid when compared to your typical union backed/ problem ridden/strike at any time (screw the kids) public school teachers who do NOTHING but biatch about everything...and when they suck (those public school/ union backed teachers with tenure)...they just get reassigned...like to the library for a year or two.

Even the fanciest of private school teachers don't make anywhere near what a public school teacher does.

LAST thing in the world I will do is donate anything to the public schools where I live. They've already got 6K of my taxes to use for what they freaking ask for (please donate ABC to make the schools HAPPIER!) and my kids aren't taking up space in the schools. I'm wondering where the 6K per year I give them goes to? Not to mention everyone else I know who lives in the same township and gets the same tax bill that I do and sends their kid to private....where is that money being wasted? They'd really be screwed if we decided to send all our kids to public. Really screwed.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,771,914 times
I'm one of the ones that had to spend a whopping $300+ on school supplies. To be fair, that included a $110 calculator that my daughter NEEDED to have for her Geometry class.
For my oldest, each teacher required her to have a binder for each class. Not one with dividers, which I would have had no problem with.
The other kids had to have their supplies color coded, red notebook, red folder for one class, another color for another, etc.
Post its are even required for them and a specific amount for each class.
When I went to school, you showed up with a notebook (usually 5 subject), pens and pencils. And we weren't allowed to use calculators. It really makes me angry because the kids are using calculators in the classroom and are told to use them at home, yet they are banned from using them for the standarized tests.
I make them use their heads and a piece of paper at home.
I am a huge advocate of teachers and feel they should be paid what they are worth - which is more than they are paid. They do deal with a lot more than the academics being taught. They have to pick up where home lacks a lot of times. Some even have to teach manners and respect when it is not taught at home. I've seen it and can't believe some of the things I've witnessed.
My big issue is these specialized supplies. I don't find it necessary. They used to just write notes on paper, not post it notes and why can't a kid have whatever color folder they want and a binder with dividers. These things should not be required - especially not the calculator - that had me fuming.
What happens when you can't afford these things? I just don't get it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,771,914 times
Forgot to put in that I think the problem lies in the top heavy administrations. There's no reason for five small towns within 15 miles of eachother to have a superintendant for each. Regionalizing that would make much more sense and I think you would have more equality in supplies and activities if that were the case. Each of those towns could save about $100K per year and put that back into the schools FOR THE KIDS!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Catholic school teachers, who in my opinon are above reproach, do a wonderful job. They ain't there for the paycheck, the union benefits, the tenure.

It's not easy to teach at most private schools...all those teachers are underpaid when compared to your typical union backed/ problem ridden/strike at any time (screw the kids) public school teachers who do NOTHING but biatch about everything...and when they suck (those public school/ union backed teachers with tenure)...they just get reassigned...like to the library for a year or two.

Even the fanciest of private school teachers don't make anywhere near what a public school teacher does.

LAST thing in the world I will do is donate anything to the public schools where I live. They've already got 6K of my taxes to use for what they freaking ask for (please donate ABC to make the schools HAPPIER!) and my kids aren't taking up space in the schools. I'm wondering where the 6K per year I give them goes to? Not to mention everyone else I know who lives in the same township and gets the same tax bill that I do and sends their kid to private....where is that money being wasted? They'd really be screwed if we decided to send all our kids to public. Really screwed.
Your school taxes do not exclusively go to your school district, a portion goes to support the Abbott School districts, Jersey City, Newark, Camden, Trenton ..you get the picture

Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Your school taxes do not exclusively go to your school district, a portion goes to support the Abbott School districts, Jersey City, Newark, Camden, Trenton ..you get the picture
So basically that portion is being thrown out the window..another waste of our tax paying money going to no good cause what so over.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
So basically that portion is being thrown out the window..another waste of our tax paying money going to no good cause what so over.
that about sums it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey