Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
So what...public school teahers don't marry and have two incomes what does that have to do with the price of banannas?????
It has to do with the fact that Catholic school teachers aren't necessarily taking a vow of poverty and living on scraps. You just went on about how Catholic teachers "sure aren't in it for the money" and should be congratulated. If your spouse is making big money then how are you "suffering" by teaching in the Catholic schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ok so what you are saying is The 6k school taxes paid are going to my district but that district is not getting their fair share of state money because it's funneled into Abbott districts??

So in essence any way you slice & dice it, I'm paying ridiculous taxes to make up for the lack of funds from the state of which I pay taxes to as well, because the money is allocated to Abbotts??
Yes kate, - you got it! That old NJ Supreme Court decision made it all possible. When I lived in Paterson, I kept my eye on the school budget. Right now, it's about $550,000,000! There are 23,000 homeowners in Paterson. If you do the math each homeowner would have to cough up nearly $24,000 just for the "school" portion of their property tax. The per pupil expenditures for a student at Eastside High School are about $17,000 vs $15,000 for Ridgewood High School. I think the "security" for that school probably "eats up the $2000 difference alone. Do you really think that the average Paterson homeowner could or would foot the bill for that kind of money? NCLB would turn into "every child left behind". Most large NJ cities pay only 10-15% of the cost of educating their students. Without the Abbott money, these school systems would self destruct in short order. Basically, Abbott money is the price suburban NJ pays to keep myriad Section 8 people from invading their public school systems! Remember the Mt Laurel decision? That one involved building affordable housing in every town. That went over like a lead balloon in the suburbs, so the money was given to all those "distressed cities" which squandered it away in short order.

NJ is just "enjoying" the results of their short-sighted education and housing policies. I always wondered when the suburbs would figure out that their taxpayers are not an endless source of revenue. Here in NC, the school systems are county-run so we don't have all those $180,000 superindentents every 2 sq miles. Here teachers start at ~$30,000 and have to pay $6000 for family health insurance coverage for a year. I never thought I'd feel sorry for teachers! But the attitude down here is, if you don't like those terms, don't let the door hit you in the @ss! I do enjoy my $1100 tax bill from my town tho!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Because the Catholic schools still have to buy all the text books, programs, supplies and computers etc. If we were ever lucky enough to have a voucher system, people would be allowed to pick where their child was going to school ensuring a more competitive/quality education. That would also help to pay private teachers more.
I don't find Catholic Schools to be all that expensive. Typically, they cost about $3k-6k per year. Most are in the 3-4 range. The Church gives some funding and then there is fund raising, but they do a damn good job educating children at a fraction of the cost that public schools do if you compare per child costs.

Now, even though this is sort of voting AGAINST myself, I am strictly anti-Voucher. Adamantly anti-Voucher.... I feel if I choose to put my child in a private school, that's my responsibility to pay for it, not the taxpayers. And I'm a home owner, and I pay taxes.... but again, it's my CHOICE

Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
The Church gives some funding and then there is fund raising, but they do a damn good job educating children at a fraction of the cost that public schools do if you compare per child costs.
You need to keep an eye on how they cut some of those costs however-when you're teaching from a history book that still calls Russia the "Evil Empire" (I know they're heading that way once again, but I digress...) you have to sit back and wonder if it's time to spend a little money on supplies...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I don't find Catholic Schools to be all that expensive. Typically, they cost about $3k-6k per year. Most are in the 3-4 range. The Church gives some funding and then there is fund raising, but they do a damn good job educating children at a fraction of the cost that public schools do if you compare per child costs.

Now, even though this is sort of voting AGAINST myself, I am strictly anti-Voucher. Adamantly anti-Voucher.... I feel if I choose to put my child in a private school, that's my responsibility to pay for it, not the taxpayers. And I'm a home owner, and I pay taxes.... but again, it's my CHOICE
EEEPNJ - When those kids get to high school those costs will easily double!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:

Voucher programs aren't for use with private schools specifically; consider Ireland as an example. Parents are able to decide which school their children go to, with the schools receiving whats called a per-head fee, as well as salary for teachers. Should the quality of education decline, and parents opt for education at another (publicly paid for) institution, the decline results in a loss of the per-head fee going to the institution, and then salary cuts thereafter. Its puts the responsibility of a quality education on the educators, and not the state or federal education associations. It puts responsibility into the hands of the administrators to take care of their school system instead of sucking out tax dollars from the budget and into their wallets.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It has to do with the fact that Catholic school teachers aren't necessarily taking a vow of poverty and living on scraps. You just went on about how Catholic teachers "sure aren't in it for the money" and should be congratulated. If your spouse is making big money then how are you "suffering" by teaching in the Catholic schools?

and just how do YOU know if the teachers spouse is making BIG money?????
You have a crystal ball or something, can I borrow it if you do

I'm sure some do, some don't
I for one am thankful my parents paid the tuition and sent me to Catholic school versus Jersey City public schools

Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yes kate, - you got it! That old NJ Supreme Court decision made it all possible. When I lived in Paterson, I kept my eye on the school budget. Right now, it's about $550,000,000! There are 23,000 homeowners in Paterson. If you do the math each homeowner would have to cough up nearly $24,000 just for the "school" portion of their property tax. The per pupil expenditures for a student at Eastside High School are about $17,000 vs $15,000 for Ridgewood High School. I think the "security" for that school probably "eats up the $2000 difference alone. Do you really think that the average Paterson homeowner could or would foot the bill for that kind of money? NCLB would turn into "every child left behind". Most large NJ cities pay only 10-15% of the cost of educating their students. Without the Abbott money, these school systems would self destruct in short order. Basically, Abbott money is the price suburban NJ pays to keep myriad Section 8 people from invading their public school systems! Remember the Mt Laurel decision? That one involved building affordable housing in every town. That went over like a lead balloon in the suburbs, so the money was given to all those "distressed cities" which squandered it away in short order.

NJ is just "enjoying" the results of their short-sighted education and housing policies. I always wondered when the suburbs would figure out that their taxpayers are not an endless source of revenue. Here in NC, the school systems are county-run so we don't have all those $180,000 superindentents every 2 sq miles. Here teachers start at ~$30,000 and have to pay $6000 for family health insurance coverage for a year. I never thought I'd feel sorry for teachers! But the attitude down here is, if you don't like those terms, don't let the door hit you in the @ss! I do enjoy my $1100 tax bill from my town tho!
How true. They have janitors in Jersey City in the schools who make 250K with no show overtime and then they get a pension on that. Gotta love Jersey.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I'm one of the ones that had to spend a whopping $300+ on school supplies. To be fair, that included a $110 calculator that my daughter NEEDED to have for her Geometry class.
For my oldest, each teacher required her to have a binder for each class. Not one with dividers, which I would have had no problem with.
The other kids had to have their supplies color coded, red notebook, red folder for one class, another color for another, etc.
Post its are even required for them and a specific amount for each class.
When I went to school, you showed up with a notebook (usually 5 subject), pens and pencils. And we weren't allowed to use calculators. It really makes me angry because the kids are using calculators in the classroom and are told to use them at home, yet they are banned from using them for the standarized tests.
I make them use their heads and a piece of paper at home.
I am a huge advocate of teachers and feel they should be paid what they are worth - which is more than they are paid. They do deal with a lot more than the academics being taught. They have to pick up where home lacks a lot of times. Some even have to teach manners and respect when it is not taught at home. I've seen it and can't believe some of the things I've witnessed.
My big issue is these specialized supplies. I don't find it necessary. They used to just write notes on paper, not post it notes and why can't a kid have whatever color folder they want and a binder with dividers. These things should not be required - especially not the calculator - that had me fuming.
What happens when you can't afford these things? I just don't get it.
Exactly my point. Binder, pen, pencils, paper. That's it.
Did yours also get graded on it?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
You need to keep an eye on how they cut some of those costs however-when you're teaching from a history book that still calls Russia the "Evil Empire" (I know they're heading that way once again, but I digress...) you have to sit back and wonder if it's time to spend a little money on supplies...
Yeah - Especially if you peel back three of the labels of the previous "owners" of the book and you find your father's name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey