Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
this year there was a new message at the bottom of the page.. it was due Monday and they said the child would be getting a grade on the supplies they brought in.
WOW.

I would be one of those problem parents. Instead of supplies, I would be showing up at the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
WOW.

I would be one of those problem parents. Instead of supplies, I would be showing up at the school.
Me too...this has gone to far in my opinion
There are many families out there that this causes a hardship on as those supplies are not cheap

Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
The problem with abolishing tenure outright is that teachers are currently employed by Boards of Education, which are (I think completely, in NJ) elected officials. In theory, this means that every time there is a change on the BOE, teachers would be subject to those political agendas. Teachers that didn't share the political leanings of a particular board would be on the chopping block. There needs to be something in place to allow teachers to teach without fearing political retribution. JMO...
Agreed...and in NJ the land of political patronage, that would be an issue. BUT tenure creates 2 problems.

1) Every new teacher I know seems to get laid off RIGHT before they are tenured in a district nowadays. and

2) The AWFUL teachers (they exist) get far too much protection from this.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
My friend graduated and her first year out of school scored a nursing job with a little over a 50k salary and works four days out of the week...I never once thought..Now why does she only have to work 4 days, why is her work so importance...50k her first year in ATL crazy...la la la...i really dont get the attitude towards teachers...granted, the four days my friend works are not 8 hour days but im sure there are plenty of people that would love to have the schedule some nurses have BUT TOUGH its not the field you went into
One big difference, teachers are on the taxpayers dime.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
One big difference, teachers are on the taxpayers dime.
So very true...and as far as the poster saying her friend was a nurse....I wonder if they ever did a study on the error rate where nurses work 4 day 12 hour shifts...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
The teachers and cops take a SERIOUS pay cap/cut with 401ks replacing the pension.

Enough is enough BS with these out of control pensions, get rid of the pensions NOW.
+1 Spin...

I am ALL for doing right by our public servants...but the bloated benefits/pensions that are in place were put there when salaries were so low and they needed to attract qualified candidates. That time has long past.

When the economic climate is such that most are hurting badly and you get police officers retiring (young) making $85k plus in pension and teachers with free family benefits - well, it irks the average working person who is getting more and more screwed.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Raven, I don't disagree with a lot of the complaints that you have. But trust me, working in HR, in todays economy almost no one is making $50 k or more out of college. We have so many people in my organization busting their hump for $35-55 per year AND medical insurance alone for a family is $7200 per year (for crap coverage.) Never mind if you want dental or the like. So you can see why some people get resentful about the "summers off" and the like.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Vote for McCain, vote in Republicans for NJ next time around.
As if that would make a difference. The teachers & police unions in our state are so powerful both parties are scared to death of them.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
One thing is certain... whenever the general discussion involves the cost of education, the magnitude of ignorance demonstrated in the replies is overwhelming.

On one hand, there are those who won't be happy with controlling the cost of education until they see every teacher in line at the soup kitchens. On the other hand, some won't be happy until each teacher has a golden throne to sit upon.

If you're frustrated because you think teachers get paid too much, the solution is simple: join them! Become a teacher. That way, you'll be made happy in one of two ways. 1) You too will be overpaid as a teacher, or 2) You'll realize that maybe teachers aren't overpaid after all. Either way, you'll be happy!

If you're a teacher who thinks you're underpaid, the solution is equally simple: quit! Find something else to do to earn a living. That way, you'll be made happy in one of two ways. 1) You will no longer be underpaid as you labor in your new profession, or 2) You'll realize that maybe teachers aren't underpaid after all. Either way, you'll be happy!

Whatever camp you're in, be aware that Mr. Market eventually reverts all things to the mean, including teachers' salaries and the other costs of education.
Mr. Market may run A LOT of things, but not public education.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Me too...this has gone to far in my opinion
There are many families out there that this causes a hardship on as those supplies are not cheap
Thats not even the issue to me. Teachers have gone too far, its like a mini power trip.

I remember one teacher of mine in high school (this was about 9 years ago), after I corrected his history a few times in the first few days, I let him know that I didn't believe I needed to do any of his homework (as I knew the material thoroughly), and would not be.

As homework was made to reinforce the material, and I knew it better than the teacher (I'm not exaggerating, I happen to REALLY like history), there was no need.

Come time for grades, he tried to give me a D - 100% on all my tests, quizzes, essays done in class, etc., 0% on all homework (I didn't do any of it). He tried to count 40% of the grade on homework. Now, according to school regulations, he couldn't count more than 5% as homework. I knew this, and I filed a complaint, and had to meet with the head of the dept., him, and my parents in a session.

I got my A. Anyways, the point is, I'm a jerk - and I'd be damned if any teacher is going to instruct me on what supplies to buy my child. They would get anything they need, and be able to organize their work in whatever way works best for them personally (I'm obviously not talking kindergarten here). I'll be one hell of alot worse to any teacher who thinks they are going to grade my child based on whether I buy a 2" binder or a 3" binder, and you can bet I'd be on them and filing a complaint every time they even sneeze without using a tissue and washing their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey