U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM

505 posts, read 1,621,993 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on the development of this shopping center? I mentioned it in another thread but was curious as to where it was.

Our Centers - Sussex Commons Lifestyle Outlets

I recently heard, and have no idea if it is true or not that:
  • The development company bought the land and the town council approved the building of the hotly debated mall in Frankford, NJ
  • A new mayor was elected, and he was very anti-mall
  • Said elected mayor then placed himself on key councils to make building the mall (permits, codes) near impossible for the dev company
  • Development company is planning to sue the town for breach of contract
  • The town of Frankford only has a very small fund to pay for lawsuits, so in order to cover the cost of the lawsuit and any possible damages, local property taxes will have to be raised to offset costs of the lawsuit
  • The people are petioning to hold new elections to get recently elected mayor replaced to avoid lawsuit
Now, what I listed above is not fact- this is something I heard from someone else. I am starting this thread to see if we could get some more, or correct information on this real estate development effort.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,070,265 times
Suit asks to access Frankford records - NJ.com

Old 08-26-2008, 07:08 AM

438 posts, read 903,096 times
anyone who knows this intersection will tell you that a mall there would be a complete disaster for the whole area. the traffic (which is bad as it is and getting worse) would be horrible.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,940 times
Thumbs up The Mall!!!!

As a young couple having just moved to the area from Hoboken NJ, my wife and I look forward to the Sussex Common Mall being built.

With all due respect to the locals and the long time residents 'poo pooing' PROGRESS.

Traffic. The word 'traffic' by definition means; (1): the movement (as of vehicles or pedestrians) through an area or along a route (2): the vehicles, pedestrians, ships, or planes moving along a route (3): congestion of vehicles <stuck in traffic>

As a tax payer who lives in Augusta, NJ, in Sussex County I expect and demand the politicians who are paid from my tax dollars to do what all other municipalities do in situations where 'growth' meets 'traffic'. That is to figure it out. My wife and I along with our neighbors and most everyone else we meet are in favor of this wonderful addition to the community. So, to the newly elected Mayor and any secret society trying to stop the Mall from being developed, and make us, the Tax Payer, pay for 'their' agenda, should rethink their approach towards the future. If the actions of this Mayor turn out to be true, then his actions are completely unjust and he needs to be replaced.

All of the benefits that come with a new Mall far out weigh any negatives...so myself along with all the other fine residents who want this Mall look forward to seeing it happen.

Thank you.

New Family On The Block

Last edited by New Family On The Block; 01-01-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,900 times
Hey young couple- why the blank did you pick our lovely county to live in?? Go back to Hoboken- there are stores all over the place there! Some people don't see shopping centers as "progress" -- we prefer things a little greener up here. That is why we avoid horrible places like Hoboken and do not want it brought here! I hope the Mall can be fought. In the alternative, I hope it goes out of business. I will not be shopping there. from, "likes seeing the stars at night and won't be able to when the store lights destroy the evening sky!" -

Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 AM

:::scratching head::: Relax folks, Sussex county does not have enough people for the mall to become a behemoth like GSP or Willowbrook or Rockaway or Short hills.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,905,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
:::scratching head::: Relax folks, Sussex county does not have enough people for the mall to become a behemoth like GSP or Willowbrook or Rockaway or Short hills.
Actually, it's planned to be very large- larger than the ones you noted. It's actually an outlet center, and it's got enough square footage planned to require shuttle buses from the parking lots. I ran construction budgets on this thing back in 2005, and it's massive.

That said, I think folks are getting worked up over nothing for the time being. Given the current economic conditions, this thing ain't gonna happen for some time- the stimulus package didn't include any "outlet mall construction" funds.......

Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Actually, it's planned to be very large- larger than the ones you noted. It's actually an outlet center, and it's got enough square footage planned to require shuttle buses from the parking lots. I ran construction budgets on this thing back in 2005, and it's massive.

That said, I think folks are getting worked up over nothing for the time being. Given the current economic conditions, this thing ain't gonna happen for some time- the stimulus package didn't include any "outlet mall construction" funds.......
Hey Bob,

I wasn't aware of the size of it, but I just don't think there are enough people in the area where it will become this massive traffic problem, I mean if we think of the Rockaway mall or even a small area like the ITC in Budd lake I don't see them as this huge massive shopping area, more like places for the locals to shop. You're right, it will be a while before it becomes a reality anyways.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,905,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Hey Bob,

I wasn't aware of the size of it, but I just don't think there are enough people in the area where it will become this massive traffic problem, I mean if we think of the Rockaway mall or even a small area like the ITC in Budd lake I don't see them as this huge massive shopping area, more like places for the locals to shop. You're right, it will be a while before it becomes a reality anyways.
It's planned to be a "destination mall" or "lifestyle center" as the developers like to call them now- kinda like Franklin Mills down outside of Philly. The locals aren't the ones who would support such a mall.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM

16,988 posts, read 16,591,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
It's planned to be a "destination mall" or "lifestyle center" as the developers like to call them now- kinda like Franklin Mills down outside of Philly. The locals aren't the ones who would support such a mall.
Exactly. They'll be coming in by the carloads and busloads from everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey